Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
m4x
m4x began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best e-reader for learning?

Hi there

Im looking to buy a new e-reader but can't really decide what to chose. I want to improve my english more and wonder what reader has the best built in "learnining tools"?

A good built in dictionary (if there are, swedish - english)/Funny quiz/learning pronunciation

What are your tips?
m4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kindles have Word wise to help children learn to read.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Some Kindle Fire tablets have a "Text-to-Speech" (read aloud) option as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2a9GoQe8QY

Also, the Google Play Books app can read text aloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj9LSX1_53E
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Decades ago when I drove a taxi while I was going to school I needed to learn enough Spanish to be able to respond to Spanish Speaking Driver requests, so I found comic books in Spanish and using a dictionary to help, I read them. The pictures are a huge aid to context ahd make the meaning of some words obvious and they're memory joggers for other words.

I also learned English this way when I was about 4. I read the funny pages in the paper and asked the meaning of words I didn't know. I pestered my family mercilessly but by the time I entered the first grade I'd already read Tarzan novels and Hardy Boys novels that my dad had in the attic.

I agree that Kindle's Word Wise feature is worth looking into but I'd also look into using comics to help you.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Perhaps the vocabulary builder feature on the Paperwhite would be useful? Assuming that feature is still around.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert