Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 03:19 AM   #76
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For many, many years the BBC's chief war correspondent was a wonderful woman called Kate Adie. Whenever there was any trouble spot in the world, Kate would be there, reporting from it for the BBC. When she finally retired, a few years ago, she was interviewed, and one of the questions she was asked was what the most difficult thing was about being a female war correspondent. She replied "lack of decent toilets".
Since I'm rarely looking for hidden meaning (how should I know the workings of another's mind?), I (too?) would take this literally.

There is an anatomical difference between man and woman that makes it easier for men to pee standing up (which apparently isn't the norm in all cultures, and AFAIK is something women are just as capable of).

So if men design an environment, having a comfortable throne to sit upon when you want to be alone doesn't take as much importance as it might for a woman.
I.e.: "The 1 out of 10 times, I can just drape some paper around the seat, no big deal", opposed to "every single time I have to drape paper, wasting time and paper (that may not be common anyway)".
(Or maybe not having a wind-proof enclosure. Consider the exposed skin when opening the trouser front or having it around your ankles.)

Finally, yes, if that is the most difficult thing - that's not saying it's not a serious issue in itself - then being woman or man in a war zone seems to be irrelevant.
Which, honestly, shouldn't be surprising - bullets and grenades don't care about your gender, and rarely will those shooting and throwing them.

-----

To get back to the main topic:
I'd like to say I don't really care, and I think that's true enough, but I enjoy a good female character in a different way than I enjoy a good male character.

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 12-06-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #77
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Interesting question, I hadn't really thought about it much.

My favorite genre is romance, and there I don't have to chose, I always get 2 main characters and in most cases they are one male and one female. Unless I read mm. So I get both.

Now I also love historical mysteries and urban fantasy and mysteries. So far most of the mysteries I read also have 2 leads, but it tends to lean more towards one or the other. historical mysteries seems to be split between the male lead and the female lead, depending on the series.
Urban fantasy on the other hand the lead is mostly female in the ones I read.

I read by genre mostly, I know what I like. After that I want a good story.

I do have to say that the term "kick ass female" is a turnoff for me. I just don't like that term. So at the time I am sticking with the urban fantasy series I have started as some new ones use that term. I want fully rounded characters and its weird to use that term as the only descriptor. After I read something I might say this is a strong female character, if I have to point it out at all.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #78
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It might work better as a short story than a book.

What was the name?
Spoiler:
Between You and Me, by Lisa Hall.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #79
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I could care less if a protagonist is female, male, dog ["City"] cat* [ughggh!], robot, or other - as long as there is character development and literary quality. Some of my favorite characters can be found in Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past"/"In Search of Lost Time."

* = Not that there's anything wrong with cats (in fiction).
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #80
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Since I'm rarely looking for hidden meaning (how should I know the workings of another's mind?), I (too?) would take this literally.

There is an anatomical difference between man and woman that makes it easier for men to pee standing up (which apparently isn't the norm in all cultures, and AFAIK is something women are just as capable of).

So if men design an environment, having a comfortable throne to sit upon when you want to be alone doesn't take as much importance as it might for a woman.
I.e.: "The 1 out of 10 times, I can just drape some paper around the seat, no big deal", opposed to "every single time I have to drape paper, wasting time and paper (that may not be common anyway)".
(Or maybe not having a wind-proof enclosure. Consider the exposed skin when opening the trouser front or having it around your ankles.)

Finally, yes, if that is the most difficult thing - that's not saying it's not a serious issue in itself - then being woman or man in a war zone seems to be irrelevant.
Which, honestly, shouldn't be surprising - bullets and grenades don't care about your gender, and rarely will those shooting and throwing them.

-----

To get back to the main topic:
I'd like to say I don't really care, and I think that's true enough, but I enjoy a good female character in a different way than I enjoy a good male character.
They make a device so women can stand to pee. I know way too much information.

Now back on topic, I am not picky about character gender. Just give me a good character.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #81
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This thread came to mind while I was flipping through the new book recommendation publication from my local library. BTW I don't particularly care, my reading over the last year has and more male protagonists then female but not by an overwhelming number.

As I was looking through the children's books I noticed fewer and fewer books with male protagonists until there were 2 out of 16 for grades 5-6. I then flipped to the teen section and started counting ... 33 books with female protagonists vs 12 with male protagonists. Many of these books are school drama, small scale fantasy (local effects only) and/or dystopias. As the parent of an preteen boy who prefers myth, humor and exploration- I'm feeling a bit disheartened. Not too much as Heritage History has provided us with plenty of PD myth and exploration books for his kobo and good humor isn't that hard to find but still..
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I am a male and I love books with strong woman characters. Fortunately, there are many in my favorite genre, science fiction.
You could try Ryk. E. Spoor's Princess Holy Aura for a two for one special on the lead character. Admittedly, I have only read 3/4 of the book as I just downloaded the full release today.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Interesting question, I hadn't really thought about it much.

My favorite genre is romance, and there I don't have to chose, I always get 2 main characters and in most cases they are one male and one female. Unless I read mm. So I get both.
What? No ff or ménage à whatever? Why settle for two?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #84
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
They make a device so women can stand to pee. I know way too much information.

Now back on topic, I am not picky about character gender. Just give me a good character.
The FUD? All those years, I thought that stood for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #85
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It attaches near the fud. How well it works I have no clue. JFGI.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:09 AM   #86
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It attaches near the fud. How well it works I have no clue. JFGI.
Hence the fear, uncertainty and doubt.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #87
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
What? No ff or ménage à whatever? Why settle for two?
Just being lazy with having to type out all the abbreviations I have read.

Its also overall a much smaller percentage than the masses of m/f I read.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #88
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Don't care... I just read the book if it interests me. I don't pick a book based on the sex of the lead character.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #89
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't stress over it or anything, but if I happen to notice a streak of straight-white men writing straight-white protags in my recently read shelf, then I'll make it a point to purposely seek out a little diversity (authors, characters and subjects). I've discovered many new favorite authors/books that way.

I have no real preference RE character/author gender, but I do think I tend to have reading habits. And habits have a way of evolving into ruts/crutches for me. So I think it's a good thing for me to occasionally break those habits. YMMV.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #90
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Don't care... I just read the book if it interests me. I don't pick a book based on the sex of the lead character.

Hear! Hear! Absolutely!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote