Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
As a tangent to the re-read thread: if you do re-read, which books do you re-read?

I'm definitely a re-reader and agree with everyone on the thread who talked about it terms of revisiting old friends, like comfort food, relaxing, etc.

So if you do enjoy re-reading books, which ones are your favorites to re-read?

Here are some of mine. I've read each of them at least three times:

Shogun
Pillars of the Earth
Clan of the Cave Bear
Gone with the Wind
Count of Monte Cristo
Harry Potter series
Bonfire of the Vanities
An Instance of the Fingerpost
Memoirs of a Geisha
Ready Player One
The Remains of the Day
Anagrams
The Moonstone
Cold Mountain

Here are a few more recently discovered books that I anticipate I will re-read in the future

Mapp and Lucia Anthology
The Art of Fielding
The Custom of the Country
House of Mirth
The Gentlemen's Bastards series

How about all the other re-readers? Which are your favorite comfort books?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Georgette Heyer's romances and Anthony Price's spy novels.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
For me:
  • All of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (And also most of his non-Discworld novels).
  • The Martian by Andy Weir. This is one I've re-read multiple times in just a few years.
  • Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Haven't re-read it as much as The Martian, but have read it multiple times.
  • Pretty much any of Isaac Asimov's science fiction.
  • Larry Niven's Ringworld novels, including the prequels he co-wrote with Edward M. Lerner.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've reread Gone with the Wind more than another other book--I used to read it about once a year and had chunks of it memorized; now I turn to it every few years.

My comfort reads are girls' series books and old-time romantic suspense.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
For the most part, my re-reads have been series.

Asimov's foundation series, read the trilogy 3 or 4 times, read the whole series with prequels and sequels once in publication order and once in story chronology order.
Lord of the Rings
Laurie R King's Mary Russell series (except the couple I don't yet own)
#1 Ladies Detective Agency series
Harry Potter, re-read the earlier ones before each new release
Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael series
Connie Willis' Doomsday Book & To Say Nothing of the Dog. Her Blackout and All Clear are on my short list for a re-read.

Last edited by Alohamora; 05-27-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Harry Potter series
Stephen Baxter's Flood and Ark, and about to re-read his Time series
Asimov's Robot series... But not enjoying it as much this time, so it will be the last.
Tolkien: The Hobbit and LOTR, both of which I first read over 50 years ago. I've read them at least 6 times and get more and different experiences each time.
I'll re-read anything of Ben Bova.
Only just discovered Matthew Mather via Nomad and Sanctuary, those will definitely be on the list.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:43 AM   #7
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
David Eddings
Heron Carvic
Katherine Kurtz
Mercedes Lackey
Frances Burnett (since childhood)
Patricia Mckillip
J.D. Robb
Lots of others
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
In short - all. Books I don't reread are qualified as purchase/acquirement failures and gotten rid of ASAP
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've read the Hobbit and LOTR at least twice, but it has been many years.

I've read The Stand by Stephen King twice, plan to try the audio book next.

I've read the entire Pern series by Anne McCaffrey twice.

I plan to re-read The Host by Stephanie Meyers, will try the audio book.

Though I used to re-read a lot as a child, the above is it. The Stand I will read or listen to again, and The Host. Possibly LOTR. Can't think of anything else worth the time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
In short - all. Books I don't reread are qualified as purchase/acquirement failures and gotten rid of ASAP
That. Only about 1 in 10 of my bought books qualify as keepers but that's a LOT of books.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Any series with a new release after a long (2+years) dry spell

Briggs
Cherryh
Lackey
Early MZB

I have not made it to the end on some of the series you folk mentioned
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #12
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Only the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

I've read The Stand by Stephen King twice, plan to try the audiobook next time.
Great choice for an audio book. I've listened to a lot of audio books in the last few years and his really lend themselves to the format.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I see many of my re-reads here.
Hobbit & LOTR
Harry Potter series
Narnia series
Asimov's Robots & Foundation series
Beowulf various translations
Homer's Iliad & Odyssey various translations
L'Amour's Sackett novels
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The book I have re-read the most is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I occasionally reread other Austen books but P&P remains my favorite.

When I was younger,I re-read some of Louisa May Alcott's books several times.

I sometimes will reread the last book in a series just before a new one comes out, to refresh my memory of what was going on in the characters' lives.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Asimov.
Heinlein.
Weber. Honorverse and Dahak series.
Bujold.
Some Ringo: Dark Tide Rising, Troy series, Special Circumstances.
David Drake REPUBLIC OF CINNABAR series.
Burroughs's MARTIAN NOVELS, THE RIDER (about once a year, its such a fun trifle)
HEROICS FOR BEGINNERS
Niven and Pournelle OATH OF FEALTY, MOTE IN GOD'S EYE, FOOTFALL
Eric Flint's 163x series
Julie Kenner's PROTECTORS series
Ryk Spoor's BOUNDARY and sequels. (I'm overdue on BOUNDARY. Now that tv season isover I'll be getting to it.)

Less often but still rereadable, several of the XANTH novels, Zelazny's AMBER and JACK OF SHADOWS, Stasheff's WIZARD IN RHYME series, the Conrad Stargard series, and DARKOVER.

So many good books, so little time. But known-good books are priceless in dark times and the times they are very dark.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote