Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I cannot see that davidfor says this. I take his statement as implying that he first had a certain suspicion in this direction. and did not found supporting evidence.
No, I was just eliminating possibilities.
Quote:
If the problem were related to the font, one would rather expect to see squares or question marks or empty spaces.

How can this explain that anacreon (Aura HD, FW ?), davidfor (Glo, FW 3.1.0) and I (Touch, FW 2.6.1) see the correctly interpreted characters, whereras fxp33 (Glo, FW ?) and I (Touch, FW 3.0.1) see the underlying UTF-8 code. As an additional information: fxp33's test file contains also a Chinese character that cannot be produced by combining characters.

I myself don't have any clue what might prevent the utf8 decoding on fxp33's and my reader.Maybe it is a side-effect of some entry in the configuration file?
It didn't work on my Touch with FW 3.0.1. So, I installed 3.1.0. It worked. That probably means a bug in the display code in 3.0.1 that was fixed in 3.1.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I cannot see that davidfor says this. I take his statement as implying that he first had a certain suspicion in this direction. and did not found supporting evidence. If the problem were related to the font, one would rather expect to see squares or question marks or empty spaces.
The ACCESS renderer seems to look for missing characters in other installed fonts. The issue being is that they tend to be shown at a very small font size. This is different from the RMSDK renderer which will use the squares (blank, X or ?).

When I tried François' test kepub.epub and removed the extraneous toc.ncx entry, the display looked fine with 3.1.0 but the Chinese character showed up as 1/3 the size of the other characters until I switched the font to a font that supported that character (Code2000, Ryumin, Gothic).

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

@DNSB: if it is a simple corrupt toc, you are bringing me the best news of the week

Not sure if I changed some settings in Sigil about the table of contents. I will make a few test tomorrow.

@DavidFor: And of course, I will upgrade too

@Tshering: thanks for the support, glad not to be the only one

@Leonatus: Happy to see that you don't have this problem and thanks again for taking time to check for special characters

Regards

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi,

@DNSB: if it is a simple corrupt toc, you are bringing me the best news of the week

Not sure if I changed some settings in Sigil about the table of contents. I will make a few test tomorrow.
I noticed that due to my habit of error checking before I transfer an ebook to my Kobo. In the case of your sample, the first entry in the TOC was to a non-existent file. I doubt that would have caused an issue with the pop-up footnotes.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #20
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The ACCESS renderer seems to look for missing characters in other installed fonts. The issue being is that they tend to be shown at a very small font size.
Right, I should have added "or characters taken from another font, provided one of the installed fonts contains them." The point however I wanted to make was that the display of utf8-code instead of interpreted unicode characters can hardly be related to a problem with fonts.

Last edited by tshering; 12-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi,
I don't want to prevent your from producing valid formed epubs. However, this problem is definitely a bug of FW 3.0.1.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Hi guys,

The bug was fixed with 3.1.0 because I read this thread.

Hopefully y'all can take your detective hats off now..
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
George: I think I'll bookmark your post as proof that Kobo do visit and pay at least a little attention to what we say

Last edited by davidfor; 12-06-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: I can't spell
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #24
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Thank you very much!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #25
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hopefully y'all can take your detective hats off now..
Thanks a lot George, great, indeed, my popup footnotes works fine after upgrade,

Regards

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Is this a Kobo Touch specific upgrade? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks anyway!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #27
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
Is this a Kobo Touch specific upgrade? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks anyway!
You can find it on the FW thread. I installed it on my Touch, and the foot note bug was gone, however my Touch was no longer able to connect via USB to the pc. This happened twice to me. Davidfor reports that he installed 3.1.0 without problems on Touch.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to recall that one difference between the builds for the different models of Kobo's (old Touch, New Touch for instance) was the driver included for the USB. Is there a possibility that you have an original or B model Touch, and installed the f/w listed for the C modem?

And yes... I realize there is no listed download for the rev 3 f/w.

Last edited by PeterT; 12-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Is there a possibility that you have an original or B model Touch, and installed the f/w listed for the C modem?
I installed it on a C model, once only the tgz, once the full package. Davidfor reports that he installed 3.0.1 tgz on N905 and N905B successfully. Jvolbrecht, however, reports the same problem with a C model.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #30
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
You can find it on the FW thread. I installed it on my Touch, and the foot note bug was gone, however my Touch was no longer able to connect via USB to the pc. This happened twice to me. Davidfor reports that he installed 3.1.0 without problems on Touch.
I have here an old Touch (N905), so it should work regularly. But what did you do when connection to PC failed with USB?

I just see that the fw. 3.1.0 is meant for the Glo, but not for the Touch (except, perhaps, for the N905C- mark 4). This has been the reason I didn't find the update for my reader. I think for the N905 it should be mark 3.

Last edited by Leonatus; 12-06-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote