Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #61
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have chmod'd one of my own folders so I could not even see (browse) them
Once I figured out what i had done., I set it back the way I found it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #62
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@mwheinz: If you mix running calibre on the same library on case insensitive and case sensitive file systems you will have problems. That particular use case is impossible to support robustly. When you get in trouble the library maintenance tools in calibre should help.
Uh oh... was just thinking about sharing my libraries with Dropbox, and one of the potential machines was a Windows machine -- darn Windows always messing stuff up. I guess I'll play it safe [understanding the other risks of using Dropbox] and stick to just Linux.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #63
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
Any suggestions on how to make it even clearer are most welcome.
Okay please keep in mind that I'm a hardware and hammer kind of guy NOT a programmer so if my idea is stupid then just say so.

Can you -reasonably- design the delete function to only remove "calibre" related files? (may be by extension or tag or something) so that if a file isn't a .PDF or .MOBI or .EPUB or whatever then Calibre won't touch it?

I have almost no idea how difficult such a safeguard would be to create and "the juice may not be worth the squeeze", I'm just brainstorming here.

Alternately I suppose maybe you could program Calibre to only work inside a folder called Calibre (wherever you choose to locate it) and have it unable to do anything to any file outside of that "Calibre" folder.

Last edited by zespectre; 05-04-2011 at 09:18 PM.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Uh oh... was just thinking about sharing my libraries with Dropbox, and one of the potential machines was a Windows machine -- darn Windows always messing stuff up. I guess I'll play it safe [understanding the other risks of using Dropbox] and stick to just Linux.
IIRC you can create case insensitive partitions on linux.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@the people suggesting this function remove only calibre managed files: That can be done by just selecting all the books and pressing delete. The purpose of this function is to completely wipe the folder. This is useful when you build up junk files in the folder, perhaps because calibre lost track of some files, for example because of case sensitivity issues, or because you did not initially realize that you should not mess around with the files in this folder.

All in all, I guess I'm pretty happy with the improved warning dialog. One of my design goals in calibre is to make it as powerful as possible while keeping the basic features easy to use. Powerful tools can be dangerous if used carelessly. Using multiple libraries is not a feature a casual calibre user is likely to encounter, hidden as it is behind the calibre icon on the toolbar. I'm willing to live with the occasional user that does discover it and then fails to heed the delete warning.
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #66
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
So that this thread does not go to waste, I've improved the confirmation dialog, see attached screenshot.

Would it be possible to include the number of files that will be deleted?

So, if I think to myself, "Gosh, I sure do want to delete my library of 153 and 1/2 books and nothing more than those 153 and 1/2 books!" but the confirmation dialog says, "All eleventy billion files in this directory will be deleted PERMANENTLY!!", I can take that as a clue-by-four to not click the "ok" button?
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #67
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Several warnings will not help. My dvd-recorder always asks me twice about deletions and I still occasionally manage to delete before catching myself. I am just so very sure that I'm deleting the right thing.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #68
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
The sequence should be: read - think about what you have read - understand what you have read - do it.

The part think and understand never can be replaced by (as many as you want) warning dialogs.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #69
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
So that this thread does not go to waste, I've improved the confirmation dialog, see attached screenshot.

Yeah, sound clear enough Maybe state clearly "including non calibre managed files".
But it gets long them.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 AM   #70
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
Typical ID107 error - the problem is between the chair and the keyboard!
rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #71
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Kovid - it's about time you implemented the "slap the user in the face for a dose of reality" add-on
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #72
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Kovid,

How about trapping out attempts to create libraries in sensitive areas of the operating systems? I think maybe Vista and Windows7 might object for most of them, but not the desktop. For Linux and Mac I don't know where they would be.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #73
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Kovid can do what he wants. If he will be successfull in preventing the shutdown of the User-Brain-OS AND securing his application of layer-8-events he will get the Nobel-Price.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #74
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
In spite of the user's pain (self-inflicted), this thread has made me chuckle. In my early days as a UNIX admin, I was WAY too smart to ever do rm -rf. Nope. Instead, in a moment of frustration, as root of course, in /usr, I typed:

chmod -R 777 *

Sigh. This, of course, on a production system. It was not pretty.

@kovidgoyal: I like the proposed new warning dialog. Though I might phrase it as: "ALL files, including those not managed by Calibre, in [path], will be permanently deleted". The change only to make the action even clearer. But ultimately, nothing you do can prevent the user from being stupid and hurting himself.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #75
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@CRussel: I'm worried that the longer I make the message, the less likely people are to read it.

@mrmikel: calibre (as of several months ago) does not let you choose a non empty folder when creating a new library. I suspect the OP created his library before that feature was added.