Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
As someone who has worked in colour print for 20+ years, the light gradient or colour shift, whatever you want to call it on the Oasis is completely obvious. for 270 quid I would expect perfection.
Which just goes to prove that what is a major problem for one person is completely imperceptible to another.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #62
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Was the Voyage (right in the image) supposed to be an example of a "good" screen?
I'd say no Here's my Voyage, and I'd call that one a good screen - granted, there is a small shift in colour (cooler at the bottom, warmer at the top) but it's less obvious in real life and certainly not noticeable when I'm reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyage.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	148287  

Last edited by Yolina; 04-28-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #63
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One

Screen shot from chever's Oasis picture upload, split and swapped around. Done nothing else to it. Makes the colour/light gradient difference even more obvious.

Think I'll stick with my PW2.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #64
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which just goes to prove that what is a major problem for one person is completely imperceptible to another.
My Oasis screen looks perfect to me. I agree with HarryT, I think some of this is subjective. People see colors differently and have varying degrees of visual acuity.

That said, I'm sure that some of the units are probably defective and it is also a quality control issue.

I have been lucky with my Kindle purchases and haven't experienced any issues with lightning problems. My Voyage also had a good screen with even lighting. The only issue I had with the Voyage is a couple of dead pixels developed on the bottom of the screen. But it really wasn't a problem, it was not in the area of the text, so it was only noticeable if you were looking for it.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #65
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
You know I'm very tempted to post some photos of some of my aging paperbacks. They have some interesting "colour shift"
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #66
chever
chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Glo
A work colleague has also bought an Oasis and has exactly the same colour shift, but his previous Kindle was one of the first gen with the keyboard and no backlight, so he is more than happy with his purchase even though he can still see the colour shift.

Also interesting was that his Oasis didn't need a software update(purchased from Amazon) where as mine did(purchased from John Lewis).
chever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #67
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
That colour shift is ridiculous. Amazon should be ashamed for charging 290$ for this.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I feel sooo blessed that my (apparently) medium-res eyes can ignore all talk of color shifts and cool/warm hoobie-whatie. When pointed out, I can make out what some people are talking about, but I guess I'm lucky enough to be able to see past the screen to the words. The most "atrocious" examples in this thread wouldn't faze me a bit--they're all infinitely easier for me to look at than a MMPB page. *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-28-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: phase/faze atrocity
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #69
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
However, I can easily see a similar issue with your Kindle that I see with mine, and in person I know I'd be able to see it, too.
I don't see how you can possibly know that. That photograph is not a faithful reproduction of intensity variations, and you're not sitting in my living room unless you are invisible (in which case, oo-er).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #70
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
2.) The screen has this annoying border where all sorts of dust etc get trapped. Also, it's not "finished" very well, with jagged edges in places.
So I was curious when people said that the border did not exist on the Voyage: it's clearly more than just a necessary seam between metal and glass. So I waved my trusty magnetometer over it, and whaddaya know, it's magnetic; the border is there to hold the case lid on. Short of making the edge of the glass magnetic (which would probably have jacked up the price considerably), there needed to be metal or other magnetic material on the front of the Oasis: their choice of a metal rim was unobtrusive enough that I at least didn't even realise what it was that was holding the lid on, it just seemed to stay on by magic. (Burying the magnetic rim under the glass front would probably have reduced the magnetism too much).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #71
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
Yeah. But international buyers need to be watchful. If I had bought and gotten that, it would be a pain in the ass and expensive to return for an exchange. I'm waiting to see how common this thing will be. If it's common then it's a huge problem.
That's right. If I had one like this, I needed to pay 30 dollars for return.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #72
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post

Screen shot from chever's Oasis picture upload, split and swapped around. Done nothing else to it. Makes the colour/light gradient difference even more obvious.

Think I'll stick with my PW2.
Wow, that's pretty amazing! Looking at the original photo, I would have sworn that there was no difference across the screen. But when you flip it around like that so that it's not a gradient then the difference is shocking.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #73
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Wow, that's pretty amazing! Looking at the original photo, I would have sworn that there was no difference across the screen. But when you flip it around like that so that it's not a gradient then the difference is shocking.
Also proves that those of us who can see it clear as day on the original photos aren't just a bunch of loonies making things up to be obnoxious
Old 04-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #74
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Also proves that those of us who can see it clear as day on the original photos aren't just a bunch of loonies making things up to be obnoxious
Never said you were loonies, all the non-seeing among us have said is we don't see/notice it so it is not a problem for us.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #75
Yolina
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Never said you were loonies, all the non-seeing among us have said is we don't see/notice it so it is not a problem for us.
I know, it was most definitely tongue-in-cheek