Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #16
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
For what it's worth, I didn't think you were trolling. Maybe being a bit unreasonable, but not trolling. People like what they like.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #17
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I think everyone has different tastes and needs.
It is very strange to me, to see adults attacking someone because they prefer a different device....
The Kindle and the Sony are very different, so it's only natural, that some will like this one, and some will like that one!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I'm not trolling. just stating my honest opinion. Wireless is just a way to burn a hole in your pocket in the amazon store. If you keep a couple hundred books on the reader like I did with my Sony it's completely unecessary.

I bet you will find several others on here who agree with my thoughts.
I find it helps me spend less because I download all the free samples I want and only buy books when I've finished the samples. Since I can do that pretty much anywhere (unless I'm out of the US which is not frequent) there's rarely incentive to buy a book ahead of time. I find I'm reading more books and have been spending a lot less than I used to. I've read many samples and ended up not buying the book where I would have definitely bought that book based on reviews, author interviews, etc. before I had the Kindle.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I didn't take your post as trolling.

Last edited by Alisa; 03-23-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Your opinions are fine. But your grief is deserved as that's what you get for impulse buying something without doing the research.

You didn't look at the place of the previous page button before buying it? Didn't realize that having a wireless store made it easier to spend money on books with quick impulse buys?

Sounds like you may have made a bad decision, but hopefully you'll learn to be a more informed consumer in the future.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
The page turn buttons are awkward, I can't stand the previous page button being only on the left side. I flip to the next page, someone says something, then I forget what I'm reading and need to go back to the previous page, but its sooo annoying to hit the previous page on the Kindle!!! I had the hack for the PRS 505 and both sets of bottom buttons changed the page. It was so much nicer. And easier to hold with the page turn buttons at the bottom. I can't even hack the Kindle, which royally sucks too. With the 505 I could read easily with it in the case. The Kindle I feel is meant to be read without the case, and I don't like that.

The wireless features are kind of cool, but way way over-rated. I find myself not wanting to use them just to conserve battery. I may have a bad battery, but it lasts a long while if I don't turn on the wireless, as I suspect would be the case even if I had a good battery.

I just don't find myself using the dictionary, I don't find myself needing the keyboard, and the feature I got it for the most, the wireless, just isn't what I had thought. I may have made a major mistake. And the sad thing is, people on here told me not to do it.

The only thing I like that I would miss is the iphone sync. That is a good feature... but I just don't know if that alone is worth it or not.

I'm seriously considering putting this thing back on ebay, with the new battery I've bought that hasn't arrived yet and getting another PRS-505 or equivalent.... Why oh why did I bail on Sony... I just wasn't thinking properly.
Hey, we all make stupid mistakes. The Kindle 1 is perfect for me, but clearly not for you. So, yes, put it back on eBay .... no use crying over spilt milk.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #21
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
It's a pity your Kindle didn't work out for you. :-( I love mine, but obviously our ergonomics/user interactions are different.

Hopefully your new Sony will give you many years of happy reading.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
You should have bought a Kindle 2 though . I think its a better match ergonomicaly with the PRS505.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well I bought a sony again, and all is good Overall I think the thing I like about Sony is being able to hold it one-handed with either hand, and control pages with my thumb, whilst in case. I don't even think Kindle 2 can accomplish that feat, easily.

Anyone want a like new Kindle 1? I'll give you a good deal
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Well I bought a sony again, and all is good Overall I think the thing I like about Sony is being able to hold it one-handed with either hand, and control pages with my thumb, whilst in case. I don't even think Kindle 2 can accomplish that feat, easily.

Anyone want a like new Kindle 1? I'll give you a good deal
That all depends on your definition of a good deal. I might be interested.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I too am a former Sony 505 owner and I "wanted" a Kindle! So when the new Kindle 2 came out, I sold my Sony to help cover some of the Kindle2 cost. I had some issues with my first K2 with the e-ink fading in direct sunlight but Amazon did the the right thing and replaced it right away. No problems with the second unit. I'm really going to be relying on Whispernet heavily over the next few days while visiting my Mom without internet access! I own and run an internet business so need to stay in touch while out of town. I've got a Gmail account for email and my cell phone so should do fine.
I like the K2 and it has more goodies than the Sony 505. Would I do it again? I don't know, I really liked the Sony and it worked perfectly. But frankly, even though the whispernet is horribly slow, it does work and I have adapted my K2 to my needs.
I never thought I would use the dictionary but it actually comes in handy!
Oh yeah, and I made "perfect" pizza tonight with the help of the free Cook's Illustrated cookbook on my Kindle. Seems minor in the big scheme of things, but it was delicious! Hmmmm, pizza.....

Have a great evening/day all!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #26
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The battery does deplete pretty quickly with wireless on, I agree that's a small issue. But hey just turn it off unless you are using it?

As for going back to sony, that's just crazy talk!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #27
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Quote:
I'm not trolling. just stating my honest opinion. Wireless is just a way to burn a hole in your pocket in the amazon store. If you keep a couple hundred books on the reader like I did with my Sony it's completely unecessary.

I bet you will find several others on here who agree with my thoughts.
For me the wireless hasn't burnt a whole in my pocket. It is called self control. Most of my books (actually all but 3) are from the domain.

I also agree about being used to one product and having to get used to another. I bet if Kindle users went to a Sony, they'd not like it very much either. Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your purchase, but I love my Kindle. And if people love ther Sony, that is awesome too. The important thing we all have a choice, that is the beauty of the free world.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #28
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by busy91 View Post
For me the wireless hasn't burnt a whole in my pocket. It is called self control. Most of my books (actually all but 3) are from the domain.

I also agree about being used to one product and having to get used to another. I bet if Kindle users went to a Sony, they'd not like it very much either. Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your purchase, but I love my Kindle. And if people love ther Sony, that is awesome too. The important thing we all have a choice, that is the beauty of the free world.
You learn to adapt. I have a Sony PRS-505 and I will only let it go if Sony offers a better product. I love the form factor and would never sell it for a Kindle. I had a kindle 1 and sold it the day of the Kindle 2 announcement and then ordered a Kindle 2. I really loved my K1 but I was not as attached to it as my PRS-505 since it was my reader of preference. Now the K2 is different, I'm actually very attach to it and can't imagine letting it go. Between the K2 and PRS-505, I have the perfect readers for my need. There are some positives in owning 2 readers: since the Sony don't have user replaceable battery, I actually had to send it back for service a month before my warranty wore out and I was happy to have my kindle. I also sold the K1 on Feb 9th and sent it to the new owner on Feb 10th, did not receive the K2 until Feb 27th but it was no problem since I had the PRS-505.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #29
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
I realize the originator of this thread went with a Kindle-1. I have been using a Sony-505 for well over a year and got a Kindle-2 when they first shipped. Love them both. The button locations don't bother me a bit. Just different approaches to the same goal - digital reading.

The issue I agree with is the lack of folders on the Kindle. Then again I rarely keep more than 20 books on either of them at any given time. I prefer to store them on my laptop and transfer new books to read now and then. However, if I had folder capability on m new Kindle I would certainly store more books there,

Bob
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #30
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Boblenx, we take the same approach. I've never kept more then 25 books on my PRS-505 or Kindle, all are kept on my computer. I too really love the K2! I don't plan to part with either the K2 or the PRS-505 anytime soon!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote