Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 04:40 AM   #1
socalgail
socalgail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keypad
Why I hate cloudLibrary

I love to read eBooks and my trustworthy old eReader is a Kindle Keyboard. I often borrow eBooks from my library because Kindle books are pricey and I am a pretty fast reader.

My library, like many others, has decided to use the Biblioteca cloudLibrary instead of Overdrive to allow library users to checkout eBooks. The problem is that this is an app based service and it does not support the Kindle Keyboard because it does not use apps.

I am posting in this forum to find out if there could be a way to preserve the library's DRM and the rules regarding the expiration of a borrowed book and still convert the book from a .epub format to a Kindle format. The Overdrive lending system allowed a book to be sent to my Kindle account and then sent using "Whispersync" wifi to my device. Amazon honored the expiration date. I can also email a book in the proper format to Amazon for download to my Kindle but it does not automatically accept the cloudLibrary DRM.

I think many other Kindle Keyboard owners will welcome this capability if it is technically possible.

https://mobileread.cdn.speedyrails.n...t/thankyou.gif
socalgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No way I can think of.

CloudLibrary does allow you to download an eBook and sideload it to a reader that supports Adobe DRM (at least it still did a couple of months ago when I last did it), but not Kindle. So Nook's (AFAIK they still support Adobe DRM), Kobo's and the like can read those books without needing an app which you need a tablet or smart phone to run. Perhaps if library books are an important aspect for you in regards to reading material you can pick up a used Nook or Kobo for $10-$30 on Craigslist or From Goodwill? Not sure if there's really another solution.

Overall some publishers weren't so happy about OverDrive adding Kindle support (Penguin at the time even stopped selling eBooks to libraries through OverDrive in protest) and some librarians weren't too happy about it either (privacy concerns) so I don't know that you'd see that added to another service any time soon.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only way to read (on a Reader) the eBooks you get from CloudLibrary is to buy an ePub capable reader such as a Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What has this got to do with calibre - apart from the OP mentioning converting from EPUB to Kindle format - seems to me its about what service a particular libraries uses for lending books.

@socalgail - I think you may get more response if I moved this to the General Discussion Forum - let me know here or via PM.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
socalgail
socalgail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keypad
Thanks to everyone who posted a suggestion. I have contacted the library and they say they have a solution in the works. I will post it here when I find out what it is on Tues 4/4/17.

I like the Kindle e-Ink readers because the text is sharp and clear and the battery needs infrequent charging. The data storage capacity is also very good.

The reason I mentioned it in Calibre section is that it does file format conversions unless the file is DRM protected. But I posed the idea of retaining the DRM but switching to a new underlying format. Perhaps that is rather naive and clueless on my part.

The point about some publishers not being happy about lending eBooks strikes me as odd because libraries have been lending hard copy books for centuries and this did not seem to make publishers shy away. Also, I am not too clear on what privacy concerns would be raised by librarians for the use of eBooks but I would like to learn more. Privacy seems like a quaint notion now. Corporations have all our metadata. They are the real "Big Brother" now.
I think Gertrude Stein was way ahead of her time if she thought she got too much information all day long in 1946!

Please leave my post here for now. If the library gives me a solution, I will post it here and also in the General Discussion area.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-01-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Removal of politically charged portions
socalgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

This is a reminder that posts dealing with Politics & Religion belong in only one place: The P&R Forum.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only way to use Cloudlibrary with a Kindle is to remove the DRM from a borrowed book and convert. Help doing that is not allowed here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Alack the day when Mobileread members must get themselves behind closed doors, should they wish to gambol and cavort with Shakespearean characters and their quotations. Ψ²

Adriana wouldn't find it funny, more like misguided?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-01-2017 at 05:31 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote