Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2016, 02:38 AM   #541
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
Still thinking about ordering one, just dont need one!
What has need to do with anything!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #542
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So you have personal knowledge of the LEDs that Kobo is using? Looking at DNSBs graph, he says those are "typical", and I don't see much overlap of the different colors.
I have no knowledge of the used LED but again, changing the color isn't filtering, we talk about different things.
When you active filter something out,you don't change the color but only remove the blue light by placing something before the led, or over the led.
I do know that the manufacturer just buys batches of LED's and that I have 2 old Glo's who compared next to each other at the same brightness level do have different colors of the screen so different leds are used there. (compared to all technology in the reader,everything must be as cheap as possible so I guess the take the most cheap leds there are on the market..)

In Daylight therapy they using light of 1200-1500 lumen at a distance of 20 CM at 30 minutes a day to alter the biologic clock and relief of depression.
Ever tried it (i did) and really try to look into that light ??
Will any led ever come close to this ? Or even he sum of all leds in an e-reader ??
Forget it.. (and then we didn't speak of how much battery power that will consume..)
Average lumen of a 7 watt led is about 500 lumen..

I don't know much people who read with the light of the Glo at maximum but even then it will not become near some value that can really change your biological clock so you have troubles with sleep.

So A they don't do any active filtering so this is a sales talk and B even with all leds at max it is uncomfortable to read but still by far not enough to alter your biological clock,and that was this "filter" supposed to do.
There is just some talk that bright blue light at short distance can keep you out of sleep, I do believe that that is true, but no e-reader emits that kind of light to really alter it..it is some hoax that the light of an e-reader can keep you out of sleep that they use to sell their "comfort light feature."

But again, that is totally no reason for me to buy the reader or not, my opinion was that it is to big,no higher DPI then a normal Glo HD, I dont like the "no bezel" flat design,and I don't need any waterproof reader as I don't read in a swimming pool or bath.
If anyone does, go ahead,but comparing to an ordinary Glo HD the sharpness of the displayed txt is exacly the same and you only picked out the LED thing to get the discussion.. (no attack) which I would personally never use because I like the bright light that the Glo HD has.. the pro's are so less to the cons that for me personal I would not buy it as I find the normal Aura HD almost already to big to read in bed.
With the normal Glo and Glo HD or the Touch-2 you can use the same cover,the price of the cover needed for this one is to expensive.
The total sum of prices is to high to defend me buying it.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-29-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #543
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
There is just some talk that bright light at short distance can keep you out of sleep, I do believe that that is true, but no e-reader emits that kind of light to really alter it..it is some hoax that they use to sell their "comfort light feature."
I wouldn't call it a hoax, it's just a response on the general mood that somehow all blue light is bad.

We have LED's in our hallway that as blue as you'll get without actually getting blue leds (they're that cold). And it's very comfortable at night. You don't get blinded by it, anymore that you'll get blinded by a full moon's light. No need for squinting, even if you get up in the middle of the night from a deep sleep. That only starts when you reach the bathroom (which is the reason you got up in the middle of the night after all!) and turn on the light there.

In the end, I think it's all about the brightness, not the colour.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #544
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I have no knowledge of the used LED but again, changing the color isn't filtering, we talk about different things.
When you active filter something out,you don't change the color but only remove the blue light by placing something before the led, or over the led.
I do know that the manufacturer just buys batches of LED's and that I have 2 old Glo's who compared next to each other at the same brightness level do have different colors of the screen so different leds are used there.

In Daylight therapy they using light of 1200-1500 lumen at a distance of 20 CM at 30 minutes a day to alter the biologic clock and relief of depression.
Ever tried it (i did) and really try to look into that light ??
Will any led ever come close to this ? Or even he sum of all leds in an e-reader ??
Forget it.. (and then we didn't speak of how much battery power that will consume..)
Average lumen of a 7 watt led is about 500 lumen..

I don't know much people who read with the light of the Glo at maximum but even then it will not become near some value that can really change your biological clock so you have troubles with sleep.

So A they don't do any active filtering so this is a sales talk and B even with all leds at max it is uncomfortable to read but still by far not enough to alter your biological clock,and that was this "filter" supposed to do.

There is just some talk that bright light at short distance can keep you out of sleep, I do believe that that is true, but no e-reader emits that kind of light to really alter it..it is some hoax that they use to sell their "comfort light feature."
I guess we are talking past each other at this point.

I was interested in your initial assertion:

Quote:
... the comfort light of the new reader changes the light from bright Glo HD to the old more yellow of the original HD, that doesn't mean that blue is filtered because it is still there, the led just change in color, that is not a filter. ...
IMO/assertion, the The New Comfort Light Pro could be/potentially not transmitting any (or a negligent amount) blue at all; if there is no blue there, a filter is irrelevant.

Again, look at DNSB's graph: there is very little overlap of the colors. Look at the video I linked to: at the extreme, the color looks like nothing close to any of the other Kobo readers.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #545
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
IMO/assertion, the The New Comfort Light Pro could be/potentially not transmitting any (or a negligent amount) blue at all; if there is no blue there, a filter is irrelevant.
I'm not sure I believe there is enough evidence to convince me blue is really that bad but I was about to say exactly what John F did. A filter is irrelevant if there is nothing to filter. And Kobo doesn't actually claim to filter the blue light it says it changes the colour which would imply they are changing the colour via different LED's.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #546
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Quote:
Not so sure about that:

Quote:
Even dim light can interfere with a person's circadian rhythm and melatonin secretion. A mere eight lux—a level of brightness exceeded by most table lamps and about twice that of a night light—has an effect, notes Stephen Lockley, a Harvard sleep researcher.
(source: http://www.health.harvard.edu/stayin...as-a-dark-side)
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #547
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I keep it short as there are so many study's and other video's.
Blue light is needed to create somekind of white,how you react on it is for each person different.
And Yes if you get all blue light out then there is nothing to filter but then again,don't call it al filter ! You just turn it off.. so when I go to bed and shut down all lights I filter it ??
Study one says that even dim light can create some effect,study 2 and many others say it don't.
We can all look and search for a study that gives us right.
In our local campains Kobo say that they filter the blue light.
In practice, when you could (because no one knows really if you where able to close the blue ,only Kobo and they don't respond) get out all blue light IMHO you can better turn of the light because it gives a filthy color.
So maybe some people will adjust the color, but I doubt they shut down all blue light so they will still get exposed to it.
I sit from 8.30 AM for work at my led monitor until 7.30 PM , I do have special glasses but don't use them much because the screen get a strange color when the blue light is filtered.
Then between 7.30 PM and bedtime, i do spend some additional time at the computer.
Mostly at 11.30 I go to bed and read about 45 minutes at the Glo HD and then I am so sleepy that I close my eyes and sleep without any problem..
I think next month they will discover that green light is dangerous too..

For as far as I understand Kobo added some leds between the original leds that can change color, not all of them.
So even when you change color, you would not change the color of all the leds only the "special ones" but again.. we have to guess this.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #548
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Why don't we drop the color discussion until someone actually has an Aura One, and can look at it, to end the speculation?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #549
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
The whole article is full of ifs and mays and give-us-research-grants (OK, I may be reading between the lines for the last one!) so it doesn't sound like a totally accepted phenomenon.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #550
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
On blue light,
Scientist A says it is harmful.
Scientist B says it is not harmful.
Scientist C concludes it might be harmful in extreme cases.

So who do you believe?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #551
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Scientist D says reading opinions from other scientists is hazardous to ones Mental Health.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:02 AM   #552
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
On blue light,
Scientist A says it is harmful.
Scientist B says it is not harmful.
Scientist C concludes it might be harmful in extreme cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Scientist D says reading opinions from other scientists is hazardous to ones Mental Health.
Quote:
So who do you believe?
Scientist D

I think everybody has to find out for him or herself what works and what doesn't. Which is why I sometimes don't read from a book, but rather listen to an audiobook (I do need my reading at night!). No light at all then, neither blue nor red or any colour in between (or beyond!)
Old 08-31-2016, 04:23 AM   #553
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Why don't we drop the color discussion until someone actually has an Aura One, and can look at it, to end the speculation?
I said that several posts before as it is one of my most less reasons why I would not buy it.. so yes please..because even when they have an Aura One it can be device dependent.
And how it affects a person is person dependent and maybe a little something "between the ears" too..
As said by the "speaker" above this post.. I need my reader because without it, I can't sleep.
So In my case I guess I need the blue light to fall asleep.
I do have a led light beside my bed who can take every color i want so maybe I try the red one tonight

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-31-2016 at 04:26 AM.