Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Buy a Sony!

Well said!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #32
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by busy91 View Post
Don't feel bad. I don't think many non-UK people know who he is. ...
I do! I do!!

I liked Jeeves & Wooster (though I probably like the books a bit more), and some of the other things he's done. British humour tends to go over very well in Denmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
He was also great as Dietrich in V for Vendetta, as Mybug in Cold Comfort Farm, and as Oscar Wilde in Wilde.
And as the police detective in Gosford Park.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #33
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Is nobody watching QI then??? Dear me...
I have plagiarised my recent viewing of it to pretend a knowledge of the Rhinoceros Party of Canada that I don't really possess.

But I think QI is on the slide - dunno if it's the move to BBC1 or they've got a new editor - but Phil Jupitus, Sean Locke and a few others are coming across like self-obsessed bores.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #34
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
He is a British comic actor, extremely well-known in the UK. He reads the British versions of the "Harry Potter" audiobooks, and does so wonderfully. You may have seen him in the TV adaptations of "Jeeves and Wooster", in which he plays Jeeves.
His reading of the Harry Potter books is fabulous. I have listened to the whole series twice while driving. The American version of the audio books (Fry's is UK) read by Jim Dale pales in comparison. Anybody who likes Harry Potter and listening to Audio books give Fry's read a listen.
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:20 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
His reading of the Harry Potter books is fabulous. I have listened to the whole series twice while driving. The American version of the audio books (Fry's is UK) read by Jim Dale pales in comparison. Anybody who likes Harry Potter and listening to Audio books give Fry's read a listen.
I agree; I think that Mr. Fry's versions of the HP audiobooks are hugely better than Mr. Dale's. In particular, his distinctive "voice" for each and every character; a feat which, considering the shear number of characters in the books, is extremely impressive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree; I think that Mr. Fry's versions of the HP audiobooks are hugely better than Mr. Dale's. In particular, his distinctive "voice" for each and every character; a feat which, considering the shear number of characters in the books, is extremely impressive.
I have only heard the Jim Dale version. But, he also does a different voice for each character.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #37
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's a shame the only book of his that's available for the Kindle is Revenge.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #38
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
~ahem~ Many Aussies, who get and "get" a lot of UK television, would possibly disagree.

oooops my bad. OK, maybe I should just say many people who don't get a lot of UK television.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #39
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
It's a shame the only book of his that's available for the Kindle is Revenge.
Revenge was pretty good, so I would get it.

Hopefully one day his autobiography will be available. I read that in 2 days.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #40
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
I really don't think he should get special treatment only bc he's big in the biz. I hope companies help the smaller 'frys' (like this poor fellow) rather than a big one only to promote themselves...
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #41
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
BTW, it is not clear why Stephen Fry should have achieved this extraordinary position in public life. He should have his own chapter of the FAQ section of twitter by now.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #42
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
For those still on Stephen Fry watch, he made a surprise appearance on tonight's Bones, reprising his previous role as Booth's shrink!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #43
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
For those still on Stephen Fry watch, he made a surprise appearance on tonight's Bones, reprising his previous role as Booth's shrink!
I this I saw him Twittering about that. I don't know why, but I'm surprised at the shortness of time between twitter and episode-showing. For some reason I always think of series being made at least a year in advance. Actually, I think I know why I think like that - it's often that long before Australia gets the episode.

Thanks, sirbruce. The Fry-watchers will be pleased.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
For some reason I always think of series being made at least a year in advance. Actually, I think I know why I think like that - it's often that long before Australia gets the episode.
They are done in advance, but not that far. I recall, when the writers strike happened most shows had between 4-6 episodes left to air.

At light speed, how long does it take a transmitted TV show to reach down under?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #45
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
In the person squished in cardboard episode? How did I miss that?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote