Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All the computer speak is in monospace and Free Mono is very light. It's even a fail on an LCD screen. On eInk, it's just horrible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #92
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
AH. Well, that probably tells most of us where that was done. (Hey, Tex--your faves!)
Random House can suck it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yeah, so I see, bro. That's dreadful. (and here I was thinking, just the other day, that I really wanted to read that, too!!!). I mean, there is exactly ZERO CHANCE that I will download a book and then reformat it. That's like thinking that someone who shows their own horses, after years of hard work, etc., wants to take someone ELSE's problem horse and "fix it" before riding it. Uh...no, thanks?
I didn't have much problem reading the font on my Nook. I don't recall feeling a need to fiddle around with it. The only thing I did was raise the font size up one notch (because I think the font had a smaller x-height than what's default on my device).

The only thing I remember was that it was a botched EPUB3 that wouldn't load on my Nook properly, and I had to take it apart to repackage it. (As to what the source cause was, no clue... I am betting poor Nook firmware.)

Long Side Note: Speaking of version numbers:

The The Martian EPUB I had was B&N's v2 (2014.06.24 is when I purchased/downloaded).

I just downloaded the latest copy (seems like B&N changed their file numbering system, so relying on that to "version" an ebook goes out the window).

5766 KB (My old B&N v2 (2014.06.24))
6749 KB (Latest B&N (as of 2017.11.10))

Doing a code comparison, it seems like these were the differences:

Spoiler:
  • 140KBs of extra fonts that are only used to point you to Random House's website (didn't exist in my 2014.06.24).
  • Added 8 HTMLs (~76 KBs) of extra Front/Backmatter
    • Q&A with author
    • A Reader's Guide (with 20 "Questions and Topics for Discussion")
    • Background Essay by author
    • Couple extra useless pages of quotes or pointing to other books
  • Higher quality JPG cover
    • New cover has crap stamped on it: "New York Times Best Seller" + a Quote from the WSJ + a little stamp that says "Now a Major Motion Picture from Twentieth Century Fox"
  • Downgraded the nice B&W cover on the inside (~1/3 resolution)
  • General CSS changes
    • px -> em
    • Added or slightly tweaked classes
  • Minor changes to copyright page
    • Tweaked the layout and added some minor differences
    • 2014.06.24: Published in the United States by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC, a Penguin Random House Company, New York.
    • 2017.11.10: Published in the United States by Broadway Books, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC, a Penguin Random House Company, New York.
    • 2014.06.24: eBook ISBN: 9780804139038
    • 2017.11.10: eBook ISBN 978-0-8041-3903-8
  • Minor typo corrections
    • 2014.06.24: <p class="indent">The best way to store the ingredients of water is to make them be water. So what’s what I’ll have to do.</p>
    • 2017.11.10: <p class="indent">The best way to store the ingredients of water is to make them be water. So that’s what I’ll have to do.</p>
    • 2014.06.24: Like I said, it’s a Mary <em class="char-i">flyby.</em
    • 2017.11.10: Like I said, it’s a Mars <em class="char-i">flyby.</em>
    • 2014.06.24: Continued excellent performance in this role would certainly net him a promotion.
    • 2017.11.10: Continued excellent performance in this role would certainly get him a promotion.
    • 2014.06.24: It attaches to the rover airlock, so the getting stuff in is going to be annoying.
    • 2017.11.10: It attaches to the rover airlock, so getting stuff in is going to be annoying.
  • I see they even introduced a few ellipses spacing issues (I made it Courier New and large so you can see.)
    • 2014.06.24: I need the emergency contact number for Dr. Venkat Kapoor.… Yes it’s an emergency.”</p>
    • 2017.11.10: I need the emergency contact number for Dr. Venkat Kapoor….Yes it’s an emergency.”</p>
    • 2014.06.24: How do I delete log entries? There’s no obvious way.… I’ll get to it later.
    • 2017.11.10: How do I delete log entries? There’s no obvious way….I’ll get to it later.
  • In the old EPUB, there were a handful of &nbsp;s to attach two words. Maybe 1 or 2 per chapter. I suspect it was a carryover from the original Print/InDesign file.
    • 2014.06.24: That’s the bacteria at&nbsp;work!</p>
    • 2017.11.10: That’s the bacteria at work!</p>
    • 2014.06.24: When you think about it, there’s really no reason to attach a pop-tent to the&nbsp;Hab.</p>
    • 2017.11.10: When you think about it, there’s really no reason to attach a pop-tent to the Hab.</p>
  • Code Differences
    • 2014.06.24: The reason the O<sub>2 </sub>tanks are here is to feed the space suits and rovers.
    • 2017.11.10: The reason the O<sub>2</sub> tanks are here is to feed the space suits and rovers.
      • Funny enough, they corrected most of these <sub> spaces, but INTRODUCED another one.
    • They corrected a few smallcaps spaces, but they didn't do it consistently. (Still displays the same on the surface though)
      • They also mistakenly introduced 1 <em> space while trying to fix this issue.
    • They moved many spaces from INSIDE <span> -> OUTSIDE the <span>.
    • They removed a few useless <em> that weren't surrounding anything.
    • They did tiny bit different list code.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-11-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert