Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
queens_own
queens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to behold

Device: Pixelar mreader
Page Illumination

Hi,
I'm new to this type of reading and at the moment I mainly read in bed... which type of light is the best to use? I want one that is bright and will spread the light over all of the page.
I was bought one of the cheap clip-on ones but it seems to have a localised beam that only shows part of the page and has to be costantly moved, I also have to be carefull not to put it where it reflects and then cannot see the print.
Ken
queens_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Been wondering myself about those clip-on lights. I'm concerned about the life span of the batteries. I end up reading only when there is enough light around.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How do you read paper books in bed? Can you not simply use the same light source that you use for those? ie a reading lamp, or whatever?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
This is one reason I bought the Nook Color. I like to read in bed and I don't disturb my wife doing so.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
For those in UK, Wilkinsons - should you have one in town - are selling clip-on bendy booklights @ £2-50 ! It clips on OK to a plastic body, ie Sony T1 [I cut a couple of fingers off a thin rubber glove for a bit more grip, over clip arms] and the light is OK - and batterries are replaceable.
Excellent value.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Little clip-on ear light has worked well enough for me for bed-time reading.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have the Amazon lighted cover for my Kindle Keyboard.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm very happy with the LightWedge Verso Rechargable Arc Light albeit mine is white in colour.

It illuminates the Kobo Touch nicely and comes off easily in the morning (but does not move around when reading).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
queens_own
queens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to behold

Device: Pixelar mreader
Although I read in bed I'm hoping to take it on a long haul flight which will be at night, so a light that I can use without affecting others will also be useful.
Ken
queens_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by queens_own View Post
I was bought one of the cheap clip-on ones but it seems to have a localised beam that only shows part of the page and has to be costantly moved, I also have to be carefull not to put it where it reflects and then cannot see the print.
Ken
Get one of the slightly more expensive clip-on lights. I've been very pleased with the Mighty Bright lights I've got. They have a plastic lens in front of the LED that does an astonishingly good job of turning the LED light into an beam that illuminates the page evenly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
For those in UK, Wilkinsons - should you have one in town - are selling clip-on bendy booklights @ £2-50 ! It clips on OK to a plastic body, ie Sony T1 [I cut a couple of fingers off a thin rubber glove for a bit more grip, over clip arms] and the light is OK - and batterries are replaceable.
Excellent value.
Check your local pound shop first, they're cheaper in there

Battery life is only about 5 hours though, and they're the button type. But they sell those in the pound shops too.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Little clip-on ear light has worked well enough for me for bed-time reading.
I tried one of those ear lights. Didn't like it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I have the Amazon lighted cover for my Kindle Keyboard.
Which drains the battery from the Kindle as you use it. Not a good design at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If you're getting an LED reading light, you will need one with a lens. This is because LEDs have fairly narrow beams and you're using the lamp relatively close to the screen.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which drains the battery from the Kindle as you use it. Not a good design at all.
It drains very little power from the Kindle. It might drop the time between charges from 4 weeks down to 3 weeks if you use it for an hour a day.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote