Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Oh and I forgot one more reason:

The OC system allows you to specify what software it will recommend. Unfortunately, none of the windows software I use (admittedly, a very small set to start with) was on their list at the time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #32
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
1. I do not like having a closed source component from a third party in calibre. I have no way to know what exactly that component does.
The component will never enter the Sigil repository, and is not really a part of Sigil, just the Windows installers. Anyone could get the Sigil sources from the repo and build installers without the OC DLL.

I don't really see a problem here, except that part about "not knowing what it does". This is true, but every relationship is based on trust. OC seems to be trusted by large companies, and much more importantly, by large open source projects I respect. Their reputation, for now, is very solid.

It also goes without saying that if I get even a sliver of a credible report of something fishy going on with the DLL, the installers would be taken down faster than you can say "fucking furious".

Quote:
2. I absolutely abhor having to spend time on pointless things like clicking Next buttons. calibre's installer is designed to be a single click (after you accept the license) to install, unless you want to use it in Advanced mode.
I don't really think most people care about this. Windows users are accustomed to wizard-based installers. You as a Linux user see them much less frequently, so I do understand your annoyance.

But the Sigil Windows installers have always been wizard-based. I doubt anyone will be bothered by another page in the installer.

Quote:
3. As far as I understood it, the OC component requires a network connection to work.
Yes, and if there's no network connection, AFAIK it does nothing. And you're back to vanilla without ads.

Quote:
4. I would, like you, have made it default off, in which case (I imagine), the number of installs, and hence the revenue would fall off drastically. Certainly, personally, I would never click on an add in an installer.
I'd probably never click one either. Some people would though. This goes in the "I don't like chocolate ice cream" bin (it really tastes like crap, how can anyone eat that?), but my sister loves it.

Go figure.

Quote:
5. People using calibre are incredibly generous and I actually get enough money from donations to work full time on it.

Whether you choose to add the OC component or not, I would urge you to make it easier to donate to Sigil. In particular, have a donate link on the download page and a donate button in the application itself. People may surprise you.
I've been thinking about this. I can't change the download page though, it's in Google's hands. But I can add a link in the Help menu in Sigil.

I dislike a large "donate" button in the main UI on aesthetic grounds. Again, chocolate ice cream.

Quote:
Coming to your points about features. I agree wholeheartedly, the hardest part of my work is turning down enthusiastic contributors. You should maybe consider embedding a scripted language interpreter in Sigil to enable plugins. It's a lot of work, true, but it will payoff in the long term.
This has been talked about before (I even started that thread). It's on my TODO list, and it's a killer feature, but that's a loooong list even if we only look at killer/must-have features.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go for it, if you actually make enough money to justify working on Sigil then it is totally worth it. If not, you can always remove it in the future.

I also use google code host the calibre downloads, but I have my own calibre website that has a prominent donate button on the download page. Again a bit of work to setup, but probably worth it in the long run. There are open source hosting services that give you free websites for open source projects, berlios.de comes to mind.

By way of more motivation for the donate button:

1) you can make it optional, like it is in calibre

2) About 30% of total calibre donations come from that button. The rest if from the website.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #34
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Right now, i'm really really really glad i'm a linux user.

I would have no problem with sigil becoming a paid app, i would gladly pay for it.
But ads, well, i just can't stand them.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #35
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Right now, i'm really really really glad i'm a linux user.

I would have no problem with sigil becoming a paid app, i would gladly pay for it.
But ads, well, i just can't stand them.
You only have a *single* ad during the installation phase ... surely you *can* stand that?
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #36
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
& it;s not like there's a new version to install every week - sigil has updates what - twice in 6 months , & probably everything I use it for worked fine 2 versions ago !
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #37
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Ah, but the new version will be very sweet! Anyway, I don't mind that there are no frequent updates. I rather have Valloric takes his time and deliver a good working product. So far no complaints.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #38
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
You only have a *single* ad during the installation phase ... surely you *can* stand that?
Mmm, no. I'm just allergic to ads.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #39
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmm, no. I'm just allergic to ads.
So, you keep your eyes constantly closed during commercials on TV, or walking down the street, right?

I know what you mean, but, really ... you didn't even see what it really mean for this change in the installer phase: you have an additional windows where OpenCandy proposes a program for you to install. You just have to click on "next" (the default is "do not install the proposed additional software") and there you go ... definitely less ad-exposure than on your standard web page
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #40
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
So, you keep your eyes constantly closed during commercials on TV
During commercial on tv either I mute the tv and close my eyes for a while, or go do something else.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-03-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #41
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
coffee fetch breaks
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #42
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi, Valloric

These are good questions. I can't see how ads could be a problem not only because I am a Linux user and I will not see them. You need and deserve something, and if this is a solution, sure go for it.

As far as I am concerned, I do not use bidet even if I am French and for the same reason you gave us -no bloat-, I still use the 0.2.4 portable Linux version which very well suits my basic needs.

Say, one year ago, I used Sigil to split, add meta-data and tweak a little the code (these % for images and so on).

Now, with other automatic EPUB making software around being perfected, I use it only for quick code tweaking of xhtml files, mostly for images display. It means inserting things like height:100%;width:100%; or these kind of things.

But, seriously, it's really a very useful task. I know of no other practical tool which could fulfill this task so conveniently and I probably will need it for a long time.

Last edited by roger64; 03-04-2011 at 03:52 AM.
roger64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 AM   #43
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
coffee fetch breaks
Exactly