Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: With ComfortLight turned on and low light setting, do you notice colored blotches?
Yes, green blotches from bottom center 20 15.15%
Yes, green blotches from bottom right 22 16.67%
Yes, green blotches from bottom left 18 13.64%
Yes, different location 10 7.58%
No 80 60.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #46
heli3d
heli3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
My second replacement from kobo was 90 percent better.
Its not as annoying, and I can deal with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
heli3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:15 AM   #47
BestBester
BestBester began at the beginning.

I´ve returned mine: green shadow in bottom center. We're talking about a device which costs more than 200 $...
BestBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #48
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
My KA1 is perfectly uniform across the screen at all brightness and natural light settings. I was very relieved that I didn't get a 'turkey'
I bought mine over the counter from an Argos retail store in the UK safe in the knowledge that I could exchange it for a replacement or return it for my money back.
Argos have a no quibble return policy and that was the only way I would part with £190 for an eReader with a track record of production problems and what I guess is poor quality control.
If you're thinking about buying a KA1 try and source from a retail outlet with a good returns policy. I understand that won't be possible for everyone, but it sounds like dealing with Kobo customer services directly really sucks.
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:46 AM   #49
catonroof
catonroof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900, iPad Mini, Kobo Aura One
I ordered mine by the end of September from Indigo Canada, luckily ignorant of all possible problems. It has no blobs/colors whatsoever and I'm very happy with it. It did have battery drainage at the beginning, but some firmware update took care of that.

2 minor things niggle me: One, most times when I open the smart cover, the device will come up in search mode. Meaning, a word or even a paragraph is underlined and I have to touch and then touch again to get it back to read mode.

Two, I don't get firmware updates automatically.
catonroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #50
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonroof View Post
I ordered mine by the end of September from Indigo Canada ... Two, I don't get firmware updates automatically.
In my limited experience (with a H2O) from Indigo, they seem very conservative in pushing out new updates -- but my H2O does update from time to time. Luckily I haven't been sent any of the recent buggy updates. I connect regularly with wifi and via the desktop app. I'm still on 4.3.8966 (3/14/17) with the old home screen.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #51
BestBester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBester View Post
I´ve returned mine: green shadow in bottom center. We're talking about a device which costs more than 200 $...
Kobo answered me that I can't get a refund because I bought it 45 days ago (limit is 30 days).

They have said to me about these problems:
"We would like to explain to you that the light that you see on the bottom of the screen is totally normal because the leds are there. All devices with eInk technology have the same characteristic".

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #52
BestBester

Kobo send another device: now I can see the shadows on the corners at the bottom and I've to press screen hardly or it doesn't respond.

Great for Kobo.

I wish I didn't buy Kobo Aura One...
Old 07-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #53
BestBester

Kobo will send me another one... I´m going to cross my fingers.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
BestBester, did you apply patches?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:27 AM   #55
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BestBester, did you apply patches?
Is there a patch that fixes uneven lighting?
johnnyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Nope.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #57
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Well, for those of us who'll stick to our older Kobos thanks to this, we can always shop around for external spectrum filtering...

https://www.ocushield.com/#!How-to-P...3-B8442150EFBE

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by El Duderino; 08-03-2017 at 02:32 PM.
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:06 AM   #58
BestBester

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Patches applied. Still the same problems...
Old 08-04-2017, 03:19 AM   #59
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
I bought a One and I've got the same problem. It's annoying.

The One is a great reader overall: screen size is nice for pdfs with koreader, it's sharp and the "non natural" backlight works well and I'd say is better than on the older models.

But at low light, the "natural light" is burdensome.

If it's "because the leds are there. All devices with eInk technology have the same characteristic" then why does it seems like some devices don't come with this problem?

I don't understand why would an ereader costing more than 200$ come with a feature that's not nice at all to use at low light? Isn't the goal of this machine to allow a nice reading experience in dark setting?

Well.. I feel like Kobo should take more care either in the development of their technology or in their quality control if they want to look like a quality ereader builder that you can trust - or if they just want to show respect to their customers.

Is it sure that some Aura One don't have this problem at all and have an even lighting with natural light on at low light?

The stats on this topic do seem to indicate that this is the case, but personal sensitivity comes into play... Is it related to the technology, or to their strange quality control?

Last edited by datanoise; 08-04-2017 at 09:40 AM.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #60
booklover1979
booklover1979 began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
So disappointed!

Waited eagerly for my new Kobo Aura1. Bought from Argos.
The screen is so uneven and most noticeably with the 'evening' light colours activated. Although it's also uneven with just the regular front light on normal setting too.
I purchased a second one from John Lewis, which arrived, and has the exact same issue.
Such a disappointment when everything else about the device is great!
Returning both and amazed that for such a high price point, the units aren't better.
booklover1979 is offline   Reply With Quote