Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'm sure the iPad was on --- I took one outside here at work yesterday, and even when a cloud rolled over, one could scarcely see the display --- in full bright sunlight, it was impossible.

Here's a review of an old Fujitsu Stylistic 4121 w/ an image which contrasts a transflective display w/ a regular one:

http://www.tabletpc2.com/Review-Fujitsu4121.htm

The specific image is:

http://www.tabletpc2.com/Graphics/Re...reFujitsus.jpg

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #17
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
my view is that for a serious reader, get a dedicated ereader;
want a tablet for work, get a real tablet with inking capability;
want to play games at Starbucks, get an ipad.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #18
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Was the iPad in the photo actually on?
Yes and on the brightest setting. I mean if you angle it right you can see it but it is a struggle in the sun no matter what you do.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

The iPadaphiles will disagree, and be angry, and throw an Appletantrum, perhaps even spew applesauce, but that glossy screen is a killer. I had a glossy screen on a Vaio laptop a couple of years ago and inside you could see every light source being reflected in it. Outdoors it was unusable. It was horrible, so much so I sold it and got a laptop with a matt screen. The iPad is going to be just as bad, not just outside but imagine trying to use one in an office building with overhead lights. Best to use it in a dark room--which is where iPadaphiles should probably be kept anyway.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-06-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
From what I've read about the iPad's overheating problem, you wouldn't want to use it in full sunlight in any case.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #21
chrisqmalibu
chrisqmalibu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Not so fast, below is how I use the iPad as e-reader in direct sunlight. We spend most of the time indoors anyways (98% or more). Below is for the casual 2%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NksXmYdji1A
chrisqmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
iPads seem to be just like my smart phone display in the sunlight - almost impossible to use.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisqmalibu View Post
Not so fast, below is how I use the iPad as e-reader in direct sunlight. We spend most of the time indoors anyways (98% or more). Below is for the casual 2%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NksXmYdji1A
So if you use polarizing sun glasses, and if you hold the unit vertical (so the sun doesn't shine directly on it), it is usable.

That being said.

1. I think I would find seeing reflections of myself or other things annoying while reading.

2. I don't want to need polarizing sunglasses to read my ebooks.

3. I would dispute that 2%. Maybe it is not where you read most of the time, but I can imagine in some areas, where the weather is nice, reading outside at lunch. And of course, if you happen to vacation at the beach, you might want to spend many hours at a stretch reading outside.

Nothing wrong with getting an I-Pad, but lets be honest, it is not the dedicated reader's best choice.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, ipad, jetbook, reflection, screen