Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
Bob Nelson
Junior Member
Bob Nelson began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Calais, France & Yuma, AZ
Device: Samsung Galaxy S8+ with several apps
New computer. How do I get an existing library onto it?

I've assembled a new computer, and am installing the apps I use most frequently, including Calibre. The previous computer is in France. I am in Arizona. The library is in Dropbox.

Having looked around a bit, I realize that I should have "exported", but I didn't.

When directed to use the library that has synced down to my Dropbox folder, Calibre says:
calibre, version 4.3.0
ERROR: No existing library found: There is no existing calibre library at C:\Users\bobne\Dropbox\Calibre Library

How can I convince Calibre that there actually is a library there, and to please use it?

Thanks.
Bob Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,515
Karma: 29828061
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nelson View Post
I've assembled a new computer, and am installing the apps I use most frequently, including Calibre. The previous computer is in France. I am in Arizona. The library is in Dropbox.

Having looked around a bit, I realize that I should have "exported", but I didn't.

When directed to use the library that has synced down to my Dropbox folder, Calibre says:
calibre, version 4.3.0
ERROR: No existing library found: There is no existing calibre library at C:\Users\bobne\Dropbox\Calibre Library

How can I convince Calibre that there actually is a library there, and to please use it?

Thanks.
Please don't try to convince calibre to use a library stored in the cloud. Having the working copy of your calibre library in the cloud is simply asking for problems. Copy the folder to your local computer (I'd suggest a directory in C:\Users\bobne with a memorable name--calibre, for example) and then use that copy of the library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
FizzyWater's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,181
Karma: 73099684
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Please don't try to convince calibre to use a library stored in the cloud. Having the working copy of your calibre library in the cloud is simply asking for problems. Copy the folder to your local computer (I'd suggest a directory in C:\Users\bobne with a memorable name--calibre, for example) and then use that copy of the library.
For what it's worth, my Calibre library has been on Dropbox for years. However, I don't have Dropbox set to automatically launch when I login to the computer. If I have it running, I turn it off before opening Calibre.

If you are careful, it works, but you have to be aware and careful.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kovidgoyal's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,630
Karma: 12745639
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
you will get that error message if there is either no library there (namely no metadata.db file) or if something is prevent access to it. If you cant fix that your best bet is to create a new empty library then right click add book, choose add books recursively one per folder and select your old library folder.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,515
Karma: 29828061
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For what it's worth, my Calibre library has been on Dropbox for years. However, I don't have Dropbox set to automatically launch when I login to the computer. If I have it running, I turn it off before opening Calibre.

If you are careful, it works, but you have to be aware and careful.
My personal take is that Murphy was an optimist. Yes, you can make it work if you are careful. Unfortunately, all of us being human, sooner or later, calibre will be launched while cloud syncing is active.

The horrible example for me was one acquaintance of mine who used a batch file that stopped cloud sync prior to launching calibre and then restarted it on exit. This worked for him for a couple of years until the day he (1) downloaded an calibre update, (2) installed it while calibre wasn't running and (3) did not remove the check to keep calibre from launching after the install. He ended up re-importing his library from backup when calibre informed him that he had <100 books in his library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #6
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,111
Karma: 20990134
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My personal take is that Murphy was an optimist. Yes, you can make it work if you are careful. Unfortunately, all of us being human, sooner or later, calibre will be launched while cloud syncing is active.

The horrible example for me was one acquaintance of mine who used a batch file that stopped cloud sync prior to launching calibre and then restarted it on exit. This worked for him for a couple of years until the day he (1) downloaded an calibre update, (2) installed it while calibre wasn't running and (3) did not remove the check to keep calibre from launching after the install. He ended up re-importing his library from backup when calibre informed him that he had <100 books in his library.
Could happen, of course, but it would be no particular bother to restore my library from a back-up copy. As I manage my Calibre library from two different computers, there is really no other way to do that than to use Dropbox. Flash drives are horribly slow and error-prone, and the content server only has very basic options.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:59 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,515
Karma: 29828061
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Could happen, of course, but it would be no particular bother to restore my library from a back-up copy. As I manage my Calibre library from two different computers, there is really no other way to do that than to use Dropbox. Flash drives are horribly slow and error-prone, and the content server only has very basic options.
I can see the use cases for using cloud storage. Just for me, the risk/reward ratio is too biased towards the risk side to make it tempting.

And it's not a matter of could happen. Going by the posts over the years in this forum, it has happened. Often to people whose comments came down to it worked for years.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #8
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,111
Karma: 20990134
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I can see the use cases for using cloud storage. Just for me, the risk/reward ratio is too biased towards the risk side to make it tempting.

And it's not a matter of could happen. Going by the posts over the years in this forum, it has happened. Often to people whose comments came down to it worked for years.
I know. I've had bad stuff happen with OneDrive, for example (and no, it wasn't running while Calibre was open). Nothing is absolutely foolproof. Therefore backup, backup, backup. Still, for me the risk is worth it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:28 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,515
Karma: 29828061
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I know. I've had bad stuff happen with OneDrive, for example (and no, it wasn't running while Calibre was open). Nothing is absolutely foolproof. Therefore backup, backup, backup. Still, for me the risk is worth it.
The best way not to need a backup is to have a good one at hand. Basic rule of IT.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Bob Nelson
Junior Member
Bob Nelson began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Calais, France & Yuma, AZ
Device: Samsung Galaxy S8+ with several apps
Thanks for your help.

So... now I have a copy of my Library in the spot that Calibre desires. That's a big improvement.

I'm not sure that I'm out of the woods, but things are better than they were!
Bob Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,515
Karma: 29828061
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Good to hear. My apologies for the topic drift sirtel and I committed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,276
Karma: 50866700
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
And don't forget to copy the Calibre settings directory to the new computer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
Bob Nelson
Junior Member
Bob Nelson began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Calais, France & Yuma, AZ
Device: Samsung Galaxy S8+ with several apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Good to hear. My apologies for the topic drift sirtel and I committed.
Not a problem. It's always good to hear experience.
Bob Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
library, move operation

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
calibre, version 4.2.0 ERROR: No existing library found: There is no existing library Alastair1646 Library Management 1 10-28-2019 10:26 AM
Create new library like existing library Love2readheas Library Management 2 04-19-2016 09:32 PM
Create New Library from Existing Library at Command Line BetterRed Library Management 28 07-28-2013 01:26 AM
Thinking About a kindle - But What Of My Existing Library Doc333 General Discussions 50 04-28-2012 09:41 PM
[Old Thread] import library or export to single file add to existing library PCreighton Calibre 4 04-10-2011 02:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.