Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Cecile87
Cecile87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 4
Need help with Calibre settings for Paperwhite 4

Hello everyone,
Got myself a Paperwhite 4, and quite happy with it.
Though I can't seem to find the correct setting(s) to use in Calibre for what I want to do.

Could someone please help me with it?

The only 2 things I really need are :
> Being able to upload the books online (in whatever format) so that I can resume reading on another device. I understand how sideloading works, but you can't resume reading that way(?)
> Text needs to be justified
> (not mandatory, but if possible) being able to see the bookcovers.

I tried it all, AZW3 (amazon doesn't want it online), MOBI (when you upload online and download from there with the paperwhite, the text isn't justified anymore!), DUAL-MOBI (same as MOBI).

I really could need some help if someone managed to find a solution.

Thanks a bunch everyone!
Cecile87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecile87 View Post
Spoiler:
Hello everyone,
Though I can't seem to find the correct setting(s) to use in Calibre for what I want to do.

> Being able to upload the books online (in whatever format) so that I can resume reading on another device. I understand how sideloading works, but you can't resume reading that way(?)

I tried it all, AZW3 (amazon doesn't want it online), MOBI (when you upload online and download from there with the paperwhite, the text isn't justified anymore!), DUAL-MOBI (same as MOBI).

Thanks a bunch everyone!
When you convert your books, select the option in Look & Feel -> Text -> Text Justification -> Justify Text
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Cecile87

That's exactly what I have been doing Sirtel, but the justification isn't retained when downloading an uploaded copy.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's exactly what I have been doing Sirtel, but the justification isn't retained when downloading an uploaded copy.
That's weird, because it has always worked for me. No idea then, I'm afraid.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
Sirtel
Wizard

Just tried it again, with my Oasis. The text is justified. Don't know what's going on with your Paperwhite, sorry.
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Cecile87

I tried it several times again, it's really annoying.
Can you please give me your exact settings?

Here are mine:

[Metadata] Output format: MOBI
[Look & feel] Text > Text justification: Justify text
[MOBI output] MOBI file type: both // Personal Doc tag: [PDOC] / [EBOK] (neither of them seem to make any difference)

Also I have no idea if it's relevant or not, but my firmware is v5.12.2.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
I tried it several times again, it's really annoying.
Can you please give me your exact settings?

Here are mine:

[Metadata] Output format: MOBI
[Look & feel] Text > Text justification: Justify text
[MOBI output] MOBI file type: both // Personal Doc tag: [PDOC] / [EBOK] (neither of them seem to make any difference)

Also I have no idea if it's relevant or not, but my firmware is v5.12.2.
Yep, the last time I tried it was with the same settings. Firmware is also the same.

When you look at the book in the Calibre viewer, is the text justified?

What is the original format? Is there any chance that the file you're uploading is still the original, not the conversion?

One other thing you might try. If you have an epub file, change the file extension from .epub to .txt and upload the resulting text file to your Amazon account. It should download to your Paperwhite as an azw3 file.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks a bunch everyone!

A long shot:
If you're new to the Kindle world, under the PAGE DISPLAY, go to PAGE and see if "ALIGNMENT" is checked.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the opposite problem with my Paperwhite 4 and with my earlier Kindles as well. I don't want right justification and when I remove DRM and send a book to my Kindle via the library I get it no matter what I've tried. I'd be happier if I could get rid of it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote