Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
LSM
LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook
Network settings problem

Hi there. I wanted to share my connection problem and my solution in case it helps anyone else.

Ever since I upgraded my mac ios to Mojave 10.14, I've been having lots of problems, including Safari refusing to work anymore.

Two days ago, I purchased a book on Amazon. I always then go to Manage My Content and download to my default device, which is my mac pc. From there, I open Kindle app for mac and it downloads the book. Then I strip the drm and then open Calibre and add it, convert it and download the metadata. And done!

But not anymore. For the last two days I have struggled to get the book to download via Kindle app. I keep getting the error message "Unable to connect.
Please check your network settings and proxy configuration." I have no proxy so it's only network settings. I've done everything, reboot, reinstall Kindle app (1.17 version), reboot my internet, verify I can upload/download anything else but still no-go with Kindle.

So today, I dragged out my Windows PC, started it up, waited the eternity for it to wake up, download a zillion updates, and finally decided to be ready to use (this is why I like my mac better). I then downloaded a Kindle for PC app (1.17 version) and then opened it. Immediately, all my amazon content downloaded including my most recently purchased book! Hallelujiah!

I then stripped the drm and then uploaded the mobi book to my google drive. Then, I returned to my mac, opened Calibre and added the book direct from google drive. It came in flawlessly and I could continue my usual procedure of converting etc.

So the problem for me is somehow connected to the recent ios update. This is intensely irritating but not really surprising as I've had lots of programs give me a popup that they are no longer optimized to work. But I could still use them. Except Safari which I can only get to work randomly for a short time and then it freezes until I do a reboot. So I've largely given up on Safari and am now using Firefox.

I'm posting this in case it can help someone as I could not find very much info on how to resolve the problem.
LSM is offline   Reply With Quote