Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #46
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Calibre for sure. Kovid and his gang have created the best piece of software I own.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #47
Kamikuza
Connoisseur
Kamikuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
This seems like a good place...

Is it possible to have Kindle assign books to collections automatically?

I've one series of 4 books that have the metadata titles of "Blah blah trilogy Book X: Something".

I was thinking about setting up collections as I have a lot of long series and a lot of singles, and scrolling through looking for what I feel like reading is time consuming...so I started fiddling.

And discovered that although I've never fiddled with Collections before, those 4 side-loaded books were already in their own Collection, including Cloud collection.

I've never done anything to them except change the metadata title (Sigil > KP 2.943) so they sort in order, as they were all published about the same year(s)...

???
Kamikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #48
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I only have a kindle keyboard. On the newer kindles when you sort by author does it act like sorting by collections where on the home screen only the collection titles show up and you have to select a collection name to see the titles in it, or do they still when sorting by author still list ALL the titles on the home page? I've got about a thousand books in my kindle and when sorting by collections its a manageable 11 pages. By author it's over 100 pages often in the wrong order because Amazon uses the first name instead of the last sometimes. I had to create collections for each author to compress things (I read a lot of series).
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #49
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
To my mind at least, the whole idea of Collections is to allow faster easier browsing. To get to where you want without having to wade through heaps.

You can only achieve so much, with one level of Collections. So what we should really have, is a second level ... or if you like - Sub Collections.

For instance, you could have a main Collection called Fantasy, and sub collections within that based on the name of an author, where you have more than one book by an author. Individual books can remain in the root of the main Collection, or be put in a sub collection called Others etc.

Another alternative, would be to have an author as a main Collection, and sub collections within that based on series name.

Having that second level of Collections, makes things far more flexible, and reduces what you need to wade through, significantly more.

I've gotten to the point now, where I don't download many of my purchases to my devices, because it just means too much to wade through, certainly in some categories. It would be far easier, if I could split things up within a Category (Collection), with Author name being an obvious way to do so.

I truly hate things being all mixed up and all over the place. Things need to be organized.

And when I am deciding on a book to read, I often overlook what is not on a device, because it is just far more simple to do so. So the current state of affairs isn't doing many of the authors I have, any favors .... certainly as far as reading them, liking them and then buying more by them.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #50
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 3 (Keyboard), Nexus 7 (2013)
I only have a bare-bones collection system on my kindle paperwhite. Completed, Non-Fiction, Work, and an author or two. The rest (unread) live in a jumble on the main page underneath the collections. It's not the most organized system, but it (just barely) does the job. I do wish the kindle had an organization system that could sync with calibre, where everything's exactly the way I like it, though.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert