Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #826
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
1)Calibre > Preferences> Tweaks (under "Advanced" section)
2) type "seconds" into "search for tweak" to find the tweak you need to change. Change the value for "public_smtp_relay_delay". Done.

Then you can use metadata plugboards rule for "email" device & send emails via Calibre.
I tried this and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much for this bit of info. I was able to set the plugin and send books out much quicker and easier than before. No more saving them to another folder on my computer, then going in that folder and sending them to Amazon, making sure I do it at 20 books or less at a time. No more renaming the books before sending them, then renaming them back.

I haven't checked, but I am wondering if this will now fix the titles in the reader to match the ones in Calibre. Does the plugin actually change the title before sending it, or is it something that tricks Amazon into thinking that the book is formatted this way?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #827
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Calibre will update the title metadata field for a copy of mobi file (if needed it will first convert epub or whatever format is available just like it would if you used "Send to Device" instead of "Email to") and email that copy. That copy file's metadata for title field will containing the series info and Kindle will just display it as it would do for any other book... no tricks.

Not sure what you're referring when you write about reader <> Calibre matching books?

Are you referring to check-mark icons that are displayed in "On Device" and "In Library" columns when you're switching between "Library" and "Device" views (when you have you have your Kindle connected to your computer and Calibre detects it)?

No idea how that matching of books works: is it using title + author combo, is it using Calibre's book ID, is it using ASIN values [Calibre fills in ASIN with the same value it uses for book UUID])? I would have to do some testing to answer that question / make a guess ...

Because I'm only using USB sideloaded azw3 books... not using "Cloud"/"Personal Docs Archive" / "Send to Kindle" at all.

All I can tell you right now that in that use case (USB sideload from Calibre; that also triggers metadata plugboard that changes the title metadata to add series information) the matching for In Library / On Device books works even though the title metadata differs between the library copy (no mangled titles, so no series info) and on-Kindle copy (where title contains series info). And I'm also storing that "is it on my Kindle" information in custom column in order to have access to that info without needing to connect my Kindle first... so I can do all sorts of filtering ("show me only standalone books that are not already on my Kindle?") of my library.

The difference that first comes to my mind (and that could hypothetically be the reason for that matching not working) is that once the book goes through Amazon's Personal Docs service it will change book's ASIN Id value... it will no longer be the same as the value for the copy of that book you have in your Calibre library.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #828
illegaleagle
illegaleagle began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis
I don't know if what I want to do is possible.

I would like to organise my books on my Kindle in series order, but not display the series number on the Kindle.

In Calibre, I have a column called "Order2" which shows, for any title in a series, what place it is. Due to fill-ins etc, the number can include a decimal, eg Ben Aaronovitch:

The Hanging Tree 6
The Furthest Station 6.5
Lies Sleeping 7
The October Man 7.5

What I want is for them to land in that order on the Kindle, without showing the series number (exactly as hard copies would display on a shelf).

Is there any way of creating a plugboard which uses the data from "Order2" but doesn't display it?
illegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #829
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Nope. Since Kindle can only sort books alphabetically (by title or author) or by recently opened order.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #830
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegaleagle View Post
I don't know if what I want to do is possible.

I would like to organise my books on my Kindle in series order, but not display the series number on the Kindle.

In Calibre, I have a column called "Order2" which shows, for any title in a series, what place it is. Due to fill-ins etc, the number can include a decimal, eg Ben Aaronovitch:

The Hanging Tree 6
The Furthest Station 6.5
Lies Sleeping 7
The October Man 7.5

What I want is for them to land in that order on the Kindle, without showing the series number (exactly as hard copies would display on a shelf).

Is there any way of creating a plugboard which uses the data from "Order2" but doesn't display it?
I can't help with the Kindle, but, I'm curious: Why use a separate column? Why not just use the series and series index? You can use decimals there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #831
illegaleagle
illegaleagle began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis
To be honest, I can't remember why I did that...
illegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #832
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Help, Syntax for column without comment.

I would like to make a custom column that marks me with x if the books have no comments. How would the syntax for the template. In a column type created from other columns, it works as a label.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #833
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
I would like to make a custom column that marks me with x if the books have no comments. How would the syntax for the template. In a column type created from other columns, it works as a label.
<rant> Bloating your DB with extra columns for something that can be quickly recovered with a saved search and must recompute every DB change </rant>

Code:
comments: false
and IF you need to store this: Select all results. Bulk mode MDE: Make a Tag.
To Refresh Use the Tag Browser to remove that Tag, then do the other steps
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #834
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Instead of creating a custom column you can simply create a column icon (preferences / look and feel / column icons) for some column (Authors? Title? Series? whatever) that displays an X when the "Comments" column "is not set".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #835
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
<rant> Bloating your DB with extra columns for something that can be quickly recovered with a saved search and must recompute every DB change </rant>

Code:
comments: false
and IF you need to store this: Select all results. Bulk mode MDE: Make a Tag.
To Refresh Use the Tag Browser to remove that Tag, then do the other steps
Use the comments:false command and the icon in the field as I do for only those books. Could you explain to me about the Bulk mode MDE: Make a Tag[IMG]
I leave a picture

[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #836
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Tap E (Metadata edit). When multiple lines are selected, you are in bulk mode and the form will be different. Everything you do on that form applies to ALL those that were selected.
Now that is great for bulk adding (or removing) a tag, but use care with Author, publisher... are they ALL THE SAME
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #837
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Instead of creating a custom column you can simply create a column icon (preferences / look and feel / column icons) for some column (Authors? Title? Series? whatever) that displays an X when the "Comments" column "is not set".

Here's my version of that

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-13 083709.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	174195

Title column is the leftmost on my book list, I've put the two .pngs I use iun the attached zip.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: zip Desktop.zip (4.6 KB, 205 views)
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #838
dunhill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Tap E (Metadata edit). When multiple lines are selected, you are in bulk mode and the form will be different. Everything you do on that form applies to ALL those that were selected.
Now that is great for bulk adding (or removing) a tag, but use care with Author, publisher... are they ALL THE SAME
Thank you very much every day I learn more about the use
Old 10-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #839
dunhill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Here's my version of that

Attachment 174195

Title column is the leftmost on my book list, I've put the two .pngs I use iun the attached zip.

BR
Thank you for the images
Old 12-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #840
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I setup a metadata plugboard for the KoboTouchExtended driver using this as my source template.

{series}{series_index:0>5.2f|| - }{title} > title_sort

It mostly works, but the series are sorting alphabetically by title rather than series number. The series titles stay together but if an author has more than one series, they aren't alphabetical either. So the results look like this when sorted by author:

Daughter of Atrocity
Sirona Cycle - 2

The Jump Point
Sirona Cycle - 1

Nullifier
Fire and Rust - 6

Refuge
Fire and Rust - 5

Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior?
retro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, tag, tags