Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Ok thanks, I think I found the thread. Kobo standalone. I'll have a read.
That sounds right.
Quote:
Regarding checking various firmware versions, would it be best to do a factory reset each time I wanted to update to a different firmware?
If you are installing newer firmware, there is no need to do a factory reset. If you want to install older firmware, it depends. It is usually OK to go back a couple of versions. But, the older the firmware, the less likely it will work.
Quote:
.. and all I would do to factory reset is insert paperclip into pinhole at the top of the kobo?
That isn't a factory reset. That is a simple reset and is basically the same as turning off and on again. Or pressing the reset button on the front of a PC. If the device is running, the simplest way to do a factory reset is from the Device information page of the settings. Otherwise, it depends on the device. For the Touch and Aura, it is power the device off, hold the second button (home or light) down and turn the device on. When the screen changes, release the second button.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #32
christopher22
Connoisseur
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch

Ok thanks.

So I broke down and decided to hook to wifi. A few things I discovered - lost and couldn't find my kobo password (had to reset). And found out it automatically updates your kobo to the latest firmware - you don't get an option to keep the firmware already on the kobo.

So now firmware version 4.12.12111 12/11/18 is now loaded and working.

Here are some of my initial reactions to the new firmware
-The lettering seems darker and I like the font.
-Page turning seems ever slightly quicker.
-Yay, still has sudoku, sketch pad and block it.
-Not too fond of the home page screen
-Sketch pad has issues - when ever a downward letter is made I get short 1 or 2 inch vertical lines on the sketch. (This does not happen with 3.11)
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I broke down and decided to hook to wifi. A few things I discovered - lost and couldn't find my kobo password (had to reset). And found out it automatically updates your kobo to the latest firmware - you don't get an option to keep the firmware already on the kobo.
That's one of the complaints about the WiFi updating, no option to say no, or even "later".
Quote:

Here are some of my initial reactions to the new firmware
-The lettering seems darker and I like the font.
-Page turning seems ever slightly quicker.
-Yay, still has sudoku, sketch pad and block it.
-Sketch pad has issues - when ever a downward letter is made I get short 1 or 2 inch vertical lines on the sketch. (This does not happen with 3.11)
There have been a lot of improvements in the recent firmware. If it wasn't for the home screen, I'd have no problems with recommending the latest release. But, I much preferred the tiled home page over the current home page.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #34
christopher22
Connoisseur
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Ok so if I hooked up to the kobo desktop I would have had the option to keep the 3.11 firmware I had originally updated to?

At what version did kobo move from the tiled homepage? I think I recall you mentioning version 3.19 is a good version to update to.

If I wanted to go back to 3.19, what would I have to do?

Last edited by christopher22; 01-10-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added question
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok so if I hooked up to the kobo desktop I would have had the option to keep the 3.11 firmware I had originally updated to?
Strictly no. The desktop app doesn't give you any more choice. But, before you eject the device, you can remove the new firmware files.
Quote:
At what version did kobo move from the tiled homepage? I think I recall you mentioning version 3.19 is a good version to update to.
From the firmware list, it was added for some users in 4.3.8842 and for everyone in 4.4.9298.

I recommend 3.19.5761 for those who don't want to move to the 4.x firmware. The early 4.x firmware were for the Aura ONE only. They would work on the others, but there were issues that meant that I wouldn't recommend them. Overall, if you want to stick to the tiled home screen, 3.19.5761 is probably the best bet. But, some people have a preference for older firmware for different reasons. For the Aura, the two finger light changing doesn't work as well after either 3.12 or 3.14. So, some people stay on it.
Quote:
If I wanted to go back to 3.19, what would I have to do?
For that, you will need to do a factory reset. There was a change in the database after this that probably won't work with older firmware. Then do the firmware install as suggested above.

If you are going to be experimenting with exactly what firmware, then I suggest setting up with your current favourite firmware and taking a copy of the books. Then, if you need to recover, you can put the desired firmware on the device plus the backed up files. That gets you back to the starting point ready for another test.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #36
christopher22
Connoisseur

Quote:
you can remove the new firmware files.
Which files?

Quote:
if you need to recover, you can put the desired firmware on the device plus the backed up files.
Before I connected to WiFi I had copied all the files into a folder (would that be considered my backup?). So if I connect and delete all the files on the Kobo, then copy the files from the folder back onto the Kobo would I be back to where I started? Maybe that's what factory reset does anyways?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Which files?
You would need to remove the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files and the upgrade directory.

Quote:
Before I connected to WiFi I had copied all the files into a folder (would that be considered my backup?). So if I connect and delete all the files on the Kobo, then copy the files from the folder back onto the Kobo would I be back to where I started? Maybe that's what factory reset does anyways?
You would not be back where you started if the firmware revision was changed. If you copy those files for a firmware version, do a factory reset, re-install that firmware version and then copy the files back, you will be back where you were before the factory reset.

As to why saving and restoring the files on the visible partition is not the same as a factory reset?

The internal storage has 3 partitions only one of which is exposed through the USB interface. One partition is used to boot the Linux OS while another stores the information needed to reset your Kobo to the state it was in when it came from the factory. This means a factory reset will revert the boot partition to the firmware installed when you took your Kobo out of it's box while the user partition structure is restored with no books loaded.

A couple of other items:

In addition to the three partitions, there is a chunk of free space which is used to store the device serial number and some other mystery information.

If you are using ADE to handle DRMed library books, you will want to save a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions directory. Copying the activation.xml file from your backup back into that directory on your Kobo will save you from having to re-activate your Kobo after a factory reset.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #38
christopher22
Connoisseur

back ups

Thanks Davidfor and DNSB for the information. I think I understand the partitions and data on the kobo now.

Ok, since I activated it you mentioned
Quote:
Copying the activation.xml file from your backup back into that directory on your Kobo will save you from having to re-activate your Kobo after a factory reset
I could factory reset then update to 3.11 and use the activation file so I can use it fully?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #39
christopher22
Connoisseur

kobo standalone

So this was the thread to use a kobo standalone https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...obo+standalone

Do we absolutely need SQlite3 to modify the file? Couldn't we just use notepad in windows? I mean notepad in windows can look at the files, how could we use that?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Nope, it's an SQLite database, not plaintext .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:

I prefer the old tiled home screen myself. But I'd suggest giving 4.12 a run for a month if you can. The new home screen gets better as you use it and there are the firmware improvements you noted.

I'd be pleased if in the next release they went back to the old home screen. but other than that I couldn't see rolling back to 3.19.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #42
Alastair_S
Connoisseur
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Christopher,
you can use WiFi without automatically downloading the latest version of firmware but to do so requires patching your Touch.

The forum thread Instructions for patching firmware 3.19.5761 contains all of the details. (Assuming you are using firmware 3.19.5761, else do a search for "patching firmware" and choose the version number that you wish to keep using.)
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you are using ADE to handle DRMed library books, you will want to save a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions directory. Copying the activation.xml file from your backup back into that directory on your Kobo will save you from having to re-activate your Kobo after a factory reset.
Quote:
Thanks Davidfor and DNSB for the information. I think I understand the partitions and data on the kobo now.

Ok, since I activated it you mentioned I could factory reset then update to 3.11 and use the activation file so I can use it fully?
The proviso is that activation file is strictly for Adobe/ADE. It has nothing to do with registering your Kobo. The reason I do this is that every time you do a factory reset and allow ADE to register your Kobo, it uses one of your allowed Adobe activations and you eventually need to contact Adobe and ask them to allow you more activations.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Mini, Kindle Voyage
I just rolled my Aura H20 back to 4.3.9084. I was not happy with any of the versions after that. Specifically, the home screen, and also I always found it much slower waking up and also returning to the home screen. Always a delay of several seconds. Now that I am back to 9084, the delay is gone. I don't plan to ever update it again!

As for my son's Touch, it is on 3.11.0 and I have no plans to update it ever.

Last edited by booklover6; 01-12-2019 at 03:10 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #45
christopher22
Connoisseur

Yeah, version 3.11.0 seems to be a good one for the kobo touch - I think I will eventually roll it back and then test out v 3.19 for a while after I finish testing working with the latest firmware (since it's already loaded) for a couple of months. Are there any issues with books on the sd card with 3.11.0 or 3.19 versions? Has anyone noticed any sd card issues with the latest firmware? With the latest firmware available for the touch (I'm going to test drive it for a while) I'm noticing lines from menu boxes not getting cleaned up when they close - probably why the lines appear in sketch.

As for the battery issue, I turned it on the other day and it was at 57%, as I kept it on while playing Sudoku the battery power rose all the way up to 69%. I think the batteries like to be fully charged? Or should I wait till it drains all the way down before doing a recharge on it.