Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
meRobs
meRobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo Touch; Glo HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Make sure you go into options and uncheck "automatically upgrade without asking me."
Yes, I had done that in K4PC version 1.17.

Quote:
I buy my books from the website or the Android app or whatever. Then I fire up the Kindle for PC app at my leisure every couple of days and the books show in my library. From there, I right-click and download to my PC.
Unfortunately, in my case, a R-click in the Library of K4PC 1.17 does not offer a download!!
meRobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meRobs View Post
Yes, I had done that in K4PC version 1.17.

Unfortunately, in my case, a R-click in the Library of K4PC 1.17 does not offer a download!!
On my computer, Kindle4PC 1.24.3 automagically downloads any new books it finds. If I right-click on a book, I can "Remove from device". The next right click gives a "Download" option though "Go to last page read" and "Go to beginning" will also trigger a download. I think I've used this twice to download updated versions of an ebook. In one case, I regretted it -- the edit added a couple of thousand words that simply detracted from the flow of the book in order to give a reason to purchase the next book in the series.

Admittedly, I seldom read anything in K4PC. Mostly I open it to download the new books, close K4PC, import them into calibre, convert, edit as needed, update metadata/covers and sent to my Kobo ereader collection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #18
meRobs

Quote:
A side issue is whether I really need a sleep cover. The reviews of the Forma suggest that it is nice and light to hold in one hand without a cover. A cover may be counter-productive and I have no need to throw the Forma into a travel back or drop it onto a hard surface.Thanks
Because of your useful info I have just ordered a new Forma from Cubox Australia for AU$412.

I realise that the above quote is off topic, but, I did include it in my original query.
So, while I have your attention: does anyone have a comment?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
When you right click what options do you have?

Also, do your covers say 'new' across the upper left? Maybe K4PC is automagically downloading them as DNSB mentioned? Mine just shows the cover, I right click to choose download and once downloaded it says 'new' as mentioned, with K4PC 1.17 on Windows 10.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A side issue is whether I really need a sleep cover. The reviews of the Forma suggest that it is nice and light to hold in one hand without a cover. A cover may be counter-productive and I have no need to throw the Forma into a travel back or drop it onto a hard surface.Thanks
The Forma's Mobius plastic substrate should reduce the chance of damaging the display but I would still recommend a cover. Accidents happen and a cover can spare you having your ereader turned into a paperweight. I was going to say cheap insurance but Kobo's covers are not exactly cheap and 3rd party Forma covers don't seem to be available yet. Searching these forums will bring up all too many posts from people who don't know how they damaged their ereader -- it dropped 1.3 metres from the arm of my recliner onto a carpeted surface and stopped working as one horrible example.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
I've always been a "naked device" kind of guy unless absolutely necessary. In eReader land, that meant lighted covers in the early days of the K2/K3, otherwise, nothing.

But that solely applies to the device *itself*. When I'm not using them, *all* of them are either tucked away in the aforementioned cover, or in a neoprene sleeve (that was a bit tricky with the Forma form factor, and I ended up with the smallest 10" sleeve I could find, for a total cost of 5€ ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #22
meRobs

Quote:
When you right click what options do you have?

Also, do your covers say 'new' across the upper left? Maybe K4PC is automagically downloading them as DNSB mentioned? Mine just shows the cover, I right click to choose download and once downloaded it says 'new' as mentioned, with K4PC 1.17 on Windows 10.
Once I buy a book in Amazon, I hit “Go to K4PC” to show the list of books purchasd and the Sync button rotating. As a result, the "All" list shows all books and shortly thereafter the "Downloaded" list has the same number of books, each with "New" attached.

Edit: Also, in K4PC there is a choice: either List view or Covers view!

Last edited by meRobs; 01-08-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Once I buy a book in Amazon, I hit “Go to K4PC” to show the list of books purchasd and the Sync button rotating. As a result, the "All" list shows all books and shortly thereafter the "Downloaded" list has the same number of books, each with "New" attached.

Edit: Also, in K4PC there is a choice: either List view or Covers view!
Somewhere I think you are missing something.

1: You do not need to buy books in the Kindle for PC program. You can purchase books from Amazon's website on Firefox or whatever browser, the Amazon Android app or wherever Amazon is able to sell books.

2: When you buy the book, you don't have to specify to send the book anywhere. Yes, it is an option, but not one you must use. I never do.

3: What you describe above:

Quote:
the "All" list shows all books and shortly thereafter the "Downloaded" list has the same number of books, each with "New" attached
tells me that your books are downloading. That is what the "New" specifies. Not sure what issue you are having.

They should be in your My Documents folder is the Kindle folder (I forget the exact name since I'm not at home right now). In that folder there will be multiple files and they will all be labelled with numbers instead of names. You only need the files that are .azw. Move those .azw files into Calibre and assuming you have the Apprentice Alf plug-ins installed, it will import them and automatically remove the DRM.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #24
meRobs

Quote:
Somewhere I think you are missing something.
No. I'm all good and dusted! And thanks to all members for clearing up the issue.
Quote:
1: You do not need to buy books in the Kindle for PC program. You can purchase books from Amazon's website ....
2: When you buy the book, you don't have to specify to send the book anywhere. ...
I don't 'buy' in the K4PC and don't 'send' the book... As I said before, I buy from Amazon and then goto (open) K4PC to see what books I have.
Quote:
That is what the "New" specifies. Not sure what issue you are having.
I don't have any issues now -- I mentioned "New" and the "Covers" because you did.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I don't have any issues now --
Right on. Have you been able to import to Calibre and convert?

Kobo is good with two different formats, ePub and kepub. I'm curious to see which you prefer.

I keep books as ePub on my computer. But like kepub on my Kobo.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-08-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #26
meRobs

Quote:
Right on. Have you been able to import to Calibre and convert?

Kobo is good with two different formats, ePub and kepub. I'm curious to see which you prefer.

I keep books as ePub on my computer. But like kepub on my Kobo.
I have been using Calibre for at least five years, initially with Kobo Glo and then with the Kindle Voyage. For the latter, I avoided KFX files and used AZW or AZW3. I have had experience converting EPUB to AZW3 for the Kindle.

I am keen to get started with Kobo, which is why I had just ordered the Forma - to arrive in maybe 3 days. Then, I will give the Voyage to a friend and, for the Forma, I plan to use Caliber to convert existing files in AZW3 and EPUB to KEPUB in Calibre. To this end I will need to get up to date with the Plugins, etc.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I have been using Calibre for at least five years, initially with Kobo Glo and then with the Kindle Voyage. For the latter, I avoided KFX files and used AZW or AZW3. I have had experience converting EPUB to AZW3 for the Kindle.

I am keen to get started with Kobo, which is why I had just ordered the Forma - to arrive in maybe 3 days. Then, I will give the Voyage to a friend and, for the Forma, I plan to use Caliber to convert existing files in AZW3 and EPUB to KEPUB in Calibre. To this end I will need to get up to date with the Plugins, etc.
I would suggest keeping epub in your calibre library and using the KoboTouchExtended driver to send kepubs on the fly.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would suggest keeping epub in your calibre library and using the KoboTouchExtended driver to send kepubs on the fly.
Very good recommendation IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #29
meRobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks, I shall try that once the Forma arrives.