Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2023, 12:50 PM   #1
lilirose
lilirose began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2 kobo clara HD kindle PW 2019 and 2021
best eink screen

hello,

I want to know which kindle paperwhite has the best screen ever in your opinion and why?
for me, PW5 is a good choice but i want your opinion for the older ones

thanks and have a good day
lilirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It's not even close: PW5. PW4 display is not as good, they overdid glare reduction.

The PW3 display is very good, but the extra space of PW5 6.8" screen is preferred, and it has page animation which makes for less ghosting and flashing, and Dark Mode.

Plus (plusses versus either) significantly faster, USB-C, dual band WiFi and better power management. And any PW3 you get may be due for battery replacement (not sure what's involved in that).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2023, 06:35 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilirose View Post
I want to know which kindle paperwhite has the best screen ever in your opinion and why?
for me, PW5 is a good choice but i want your opinion for the older ones
The Paperwhite 3 is, apparently, the next best screen compared to PW5 (I've never, personally seen a PW4 screen). If you're looking for a used Kindle and the screen is important, I would look at the Voyage. I think it's Amazon's best screen ever for contrast. (No warm light, however.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:09 PM   #4
lilirose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Paperwhite 3 is, apparently, the next best screen compared to PW5 (I've never, personally seen a PW4 screen). If you're looking for a used Kindle and the screen is important, I would look at the Voyage. I think it's Amazon's best screen ever for contrast. (No warm light, however.)
Yes the screen is very important

I already possess the voyage and the PW4 and 5

The PW4 was my first e-reader brand new from amazon and sold it couple of months after i bought it : not convinced but i regret it and bought another used one but still not convinced the screen is not as good as said.
i want to sell it and buy another one with a better screen
The voyage is a good machine but i want to take my time to decide what to do with it

May be the best is to sell my PW4 and buy the 3 to decide...
Old 04-28-2023, 07:14 PM   #5
lilirose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It's not even close: PW5. PW4 display is not as good, they overdid glare reduction.

The PW3 display is very good, but the extra space of PW5 6.8" screen is preferred, and it has page animation which makes for less ghosting and flashing, and Dark Mode.

Plus (plusses versus either) significantly faster, USB-C, dual band WiFi and better power management. And any PW3 you get may be due for battery replacement (not sure what's involved in that).
i agree they are not even close PW4 is even worst than the basic

i really appreciate the turn page animation, it's bomb
Advert
Old 04-29-2023, 05:15 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I'm told the original Voyage was good, but never seen it. I compared a PW3 and PW4 side by side. Alone the PW4 looked OK, but was so much poorer in ambient light I bought another PW3 to have rather than a PW4 (just recently released).
Despite lower DPI the original Kobo Aura HD H2O was the best contrast (IR instead of capacitive touch). The DXG and KK3 are noticably poorer than the PW3 for ambient contrast and resolution. The DXG only 150 dpi, KK3 167 dpi as were the Basic Models till the 300 dpi with frontlight came out (2022?), very like a PW3, but not seen one.
The Oasis gen2 I had was about the same as PW3 side by side in ambient light but a better screen size. I think 6.8″ to 8″ is better size than 6″ for reading fiction. The 9.7″ and 10.3″ are both too big and heavy for comfortable fiction reading (DXG, reMarkable, Elipsa tested). I do all my fiction reading on 8″ now.

I turn off page animation on Apps and set eink to refresh on every page, which is almost like a paper page flicking and shortly you don't notice it.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-29-2023 at 05:17 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:06 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The PW4 is a downgrade from the PW3. The PW5 is the best Paperwhite.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
If you care about clarity, contrast, sharpness or anything that has to do with a good screen there is nothing better than the Voyage. I find my PW3 screen noticeably inferior to the Voyage, Libra 2, Leaf 2 and Hisense A9 (the latter three have Carta 1200 and the first two with a sunken screen).

I would guess that the Kindle 2022 is what comes closest to the Voyage as it also uses Carta 1200 and no additional protective layer on top. But since it, too, is only 6" and without warm light I don't know what it would bring to the table for you.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:47 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Voyage is probably the easiest of recent Kindles if and when you need a battery replacement.

However I would argue that 'screen is not everything' and compared to 11th generation Kindles (or Oasis), performance is sluggish.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-29-2023 at 07:47 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:27 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Voyage is probably the easiest of recent Kindles if and when you need a battery replacement.

However I would argue that 'screen is not everything' and compared to 11th generation (or Oasis), performance is sluggish.
Not everything, but the most important part in my opinion. Another advantage of the Voyage (for some anyhow) is that it's no longer updating and won't have the new interface that a lot of Kindle users dislike. (Some to the point of getting rid of their Kindles.)
Old 04-29-2023, 07:01 PM   #11
lilirose

Quote:
However I would argue that 'screen is not everything' and compared to 11th generation (or Oasis), performance is sluggish.
I understand that screen is not everything and i am not okay with that but everybody seems to forget that performance is not the thing because I never see someone turning the page of a book fast.
reading a book is not a competition and even if performance is sluggish the purpose is to read not to scroll
it's my opinion because i always hear and read that e-readers are slow but it's about reading a book...
if people want something faster then they have to go for a tablet

by the way, i agree the 11th generation is bomb but when you look deeper the only thing new amazon made is the turn page animation, the big screen is not new because they exist before the oasis and presentation is the same since the begining but change in worst with the lastests version...
Old 04-29-2023, 07:23 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilirose View Post
I understand that screen is not everything and i am not okay with that but everybody seems to forget that performance is not the thing because I never see someone turning the page of a book fast.
It's not usually page turning that's slow in modern readers. It's everything else - navigation, searching, going to the TOC, using the dictionary and so on. So yes, speed matters. Unless you never do anything else but turn pages.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:00 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's not usually page turning that's slow in modern readers. It's everything else - navigation, searching, going to the TOC, using the dictionary and so on. So yes, speed matters. Unless you never do anything else but turn pages.
None of this really matters to me much. I guess maybe that's why complaints about various readers being "slow" never meant a lot to me. I would say about 98% of the time I'm using my eReaders I'm reading. The rest is on the peripheral.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:27 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
None of this really matters to me much. I guess maybe that's why complaints about various readers being "slow" never meant a lot to me. I would say about 98% of the time I'm using my eReaders I'm reading. The rest is on the peripheral.
Yes, people are different. I tend to read doorstopper fantasy tomes and multi-volume series, and pretty often I find myself searching for a name to refresh my memory. Some books (usually thrillers and mysteries) use a lot of specific slang and/or cultural references I don't know, not being a native English speaker and having never lived in the US/UK, so I find myself consulting the dictionary regularly; with other books I almost never use the dictionary. So it depends on the books you read, I guess.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-29-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:31 AM   #15
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Whenever a book has a glossary or other useful appendix, I've taken to just bookmarking it so I can quickly switch between the page I'm reading and the appendix without having to use the table of contents each time. That tends to speed things up sufficiently for me. As with rcentros, I don't care that much about overall reader speed, since the only reason for me to leave the reading experience is to select my next book, which only consumes 1% of the time I spend using the device.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote