Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post eBooks we're working on

Now we have a "book uploads" section, I thought it might be of use to have a thread in which people can say which books they are working on, to avoid duplicated effort.

To start the ball rolling, I'm continuing my "Illustrated Dickens" books by creating fully illustrated versions of "David Copperfield" and "A Tale of Two Cities". Should have those done in the next few days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Maybe it's a good idea to move this topic to the "Book Uploads" forum and make it a sticky?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Maybe it's a good idea to move this topic to the "Book Uploads" forum and make it a sticky?
Agreed. Done.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Thanks Alex.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
what are the rules for uploading a book? I have several books I have put together in rtf format, but they arent as elegant as BookDesigner books with TOC's and the like. Can I still upload them? -lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps Alex could advise us on this. I don't know whether or not he intends this to be a forum specifically for LRF-format files. The forum description suggests that this was the aim.

Converting your RTF files into LRF is very easy. Just download "Book Designer", load your RTF file into it, and click the "Make Sony Reader e-Book" button.

My personal view (and I must stress that this is purely a personal opinion) is that we should perhaps reserve this uploads forum for books that people have added some significant "value" to over the original Project Gutenberg (or whatever) originals. There seems little point in uploading something here that someone can download from PG and have on their Reader a minute later. By "added value" I mean things like cleaning up the formatting, adding a nice TOC or index to a complicated book, adding pictures, hyperlinks, stuff like that.

Again though, I don't make the rules, and all this is nothing more than my personal opinion. Alex is "the man" and he can give you a definitive answer.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-31-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I agree we should focus on uploading books that have some added value, more than just auto-converted content. I intend to write a friendly sticky guideline to clarify this matter.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
I'm currently working on Don Quixote and The Three Musketeers in LRF. (Actually, I've got them done already but I want to give them a onceover before uploading them even in a version 1 format.)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
friendly
Banned
friendly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 / iPad
Talking

I don't know who came up with the idea to upload ebooks here. Anyway, I think it is brilliant that idea.
I agree with Harry and with Alexander and I don’t agree. Yes, it’s a nice idea to just collect all the perfectly formatted books here, but I think there are much more rtf-files out there which would be quite nice for many of us. I don’t know if this suggestion would cause too much trouble, but why not open another page where all those files are uploaded which are quite nice and completely satisfying for many readers? So there could be this page for “perfect” books and the other one for “okay” or “nice” books and here I come back to the beginning, I really think there are much more “nice” books ready to be uploaded than “perfect” books.
Somewhere in the forum someone made “Shakespeare” available. I think it should be uploaded here. I have got the files, but I as I didn’t do the work I don’t want to “snatch” the credit.
Ah, I just found the thread and the link: http://www.falstaffshouse.com
And Harry I think you know about it, so you should be able to upload "Shakespeare" and maybe these: "War of the Worlds" and "Fortyone Thieves" To be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532
Thanks a lot.
Friedhelm

Last edited by friendly; 04-01-2007 at 02:28 PM.
friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly
I think there are much more rtf-files out there which would be quite nice for many of us. I don’t know if this suggestion would cause too much trouble, but why not open another page where all those files are uploaded which are quite nice and completely satisfying for many readers?

Friedhelm
I would have to agree that even a quick .rtf formatted book, if done well, would be nice to have here. I *love* having the tables of contents and proper footnotes, but to have an entire library of PD .rtf (and completely auto-generated .lrf books) in one place would be awfully nice.

Definitely should be a separate forum, and as there would likely be more books, perhaps one thread per author? Or is this likely to be too many files and too unmanageable a situation?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with my 1.5 cents.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If there is a need for well formed RTF books I feel it would be best served by its own forum area and keep this one for LRF books alone. This may spawn multiple forums where each is dedicated to one specific book type -- one for PDF, one for IMP, etc. This would save people having to sort through a large number of posts to find the ones for their format.

I have been absent from these forums lately as I have been involved with two projects. First, I have been savoring the reading of the TE Lawrence Seven Pillars of Wisdom and, second, I have finally started work on the Wiki expansion for Best Practices in Book Designer. I have almost finished the first and expect to finish the latter this week.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You see, RWood? That's exactly the sort of thing that makes your karma so high.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
If there is a need for well formed RTF books I feel it would be best served by its own forum area and keep this one for LRF books alone. This may spawn multiple forums where each is dedicated to one specific book type -- one for PDF, one for IMP, etc. This would save people having to sort through a large number of posts to find the ones for their format.
I believe that Alex's original idea (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong) was to keep the "device forum" upload section for device-specific books, and create another upload section elsewhere on MR for "open format" books such as RTF, etc. I don't know if this has yet been done or not.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly
And Harry I think you know about it, so you should be able to upload "Shakespeare" and maybe these: "War of the Worlds" and "Fortyone Thieves" To be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532
Thanks a lot.
Friedhelm
Jeez - I'm busy enough uploading my own books, without uploading other peoples', too . This forum is for anyone to upload to, not just me .
Old 04-02-2007, 03:57 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Could you explain to me what would be a point of uploading RTFs?
There are planty of websites(such as blackmask, manybooks, baen etc.) that are professionals in this particular subject. I think that uploading only books for device-specific books would be useful. Maybe I don't understand something?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote