Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Thanks Blossom that's good to know.
Next time I need to buy something I will try to remember to check the return section. It won't allow me to return free books - I know there's no point in returning a free book but I would like to see how it works.
Do you need to give a reason for the return?
I don't think I want to tell Amazon I am returning it because I can't remove the DRM and covert it to ePub.
But I have been caught out a few times where as soon as buy from Amazon I find it cheaper elsewhere (sometimes it seems like Kobo delays releasing books until I have just purchased them! )
Would the fact that the book is cheaper elsewhere be sufficient reason for a return?
I'd just tell them you're not happy with your purchase and would like a refund.

From their page.

Quote:
Returning Kindle Content

Any content you purchase for Kindle from the Kindle Store is eligible for return and refund if we receive your request within 7 days of the date of purchase. Once a refund is issued, you will no longer have access to the item. To request a refund and return, click the Customer Service button in the Contact Us box in the right-hand column of this page to reach us via phone or e-mail. Please make sure to include the title of the item you wish to return in your request.
It's pretty painless. I've done it on some books that were badly formatted or accidentally purchased.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #62
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks again for the information. Hopefully I won't need it.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #63
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I buy my ebooks anywhere but Amazon.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #64
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I use a Kindle, and I purchase almost all ebooks from Amazon, mainly because it's so convenient (one click and the book's delivered to my Kindle!), selection is excellent, and prices are good too. I occasionally buy ebooks at Smashwords, but not very often. I've found that formatting is more hit-and-miss with books there and sideloading is more hassle.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #65
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
I mainly buy from Amazon, because I have a Kindle and I get free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks (so I basically don't have to spend money to get books!).

Quote:
I've also just got a load of iTunes gift cards, so I may start buying some books from iBookstore as well.
I will not buy from a store that I cannot immediately remove the DRM. The day the store starts using an unbreakable DRM is the day I stop buying from them.

Carol
Old 11-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #66
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The iTunes music is now DRM-free, but the books and videos aren't. And there's currently no DRM-remover software for books from the iTunes books store.

Let's hope you don't ever want to read your books on a non-iOS device.

Personally, I won't buy DRMed ebooks where I can't immediately remove the DRM.

Carol
Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #67
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Baen first because of great prices and no drm. Fortunately I like the type of books they publish.

Amazon is next because of the selection, ease of purchasing, apps for all my devices, and their drm has been cracked.

Apple...just a few times. If their drm had been cracked, I'd buy from them instead of amazon as I prefer the iBook app for reading.

Nonny
Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #68
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Smashwords for all the reasons mentioned and Books On Board because they have a cart so I can make a single buying transaction with several books in it (I buy infrequently and never buy just one book in a session). I occasionally buy from B&N when Books On Board doesn't have a book I want.

I used to buy from Kobo, but they didn't have a cart and I had to pay for one book at a time, which my credit card company interpreted as an indication of fraud and locked my card.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #69
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I mostly look att price. Since I own a Kobo Touch I use the Kobo Store but also BooksOnBoard http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ks-audio-books and Diesel http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/
Exactly my choices as well! I do check out Amazon but don't buy there that often as I regularly find better prices at the other 3. Plus, since I am not locked into their format by using a Kindle, I can buy wherever the price is best. And I can read my books on ANY device.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #70
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I used to buy from Fictionwise but they were decimated by the agency pricing thing and are no longer even remotely competitive on price and selection. Also I don't feel like fiddling with eReader format anymore.

I buy equally as often depending on price, from Kobo and Amazon. Both can be read on the devices I have. I also occasionally buy from Smashwords, and occasionally from author or publisher websites (I like the Delphi Classics collections and I do buy those off their website because they update frequently and it's easier to get the updates from them than from Amazon).
Old 11-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #71
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
It all depends.

This has changed over time for me.

In 2003, I began buying from Peanut Press, later eReader.com. When Fictionwise bought them, I began shopping at both, depending on what coupons/rewards were in my best interest.

I stopped shopping at both in 2010, when the Agency 5 decimated their selection and offers. I also realized it was a pain to strip eReader DRM from the 500+ books I had purchased (most of which were series titles).

I switched to B&N for about 6 months, but their dropping of eReader support and their pathetic iOS apps made that a no-go. A shame, because their NOOKids selection is impressive.

I tested the Sony store, but their Mac app stunk and their pricing was usually worse.

I bought from Kobo for a few months, until their cross-border currency exchange kept getting my credit cards blocked for potential fraud. And their pricing is usually a touch higher.

So basically, I stopped buying e-books. I now borrow from the library, re-read favorite classics or read from my extensive Calibre library of de-infested books.

For the handful of my must-buy authors, I may start buying from Amazon as reward for their iOS Kindle app and library integration. It's an incredibly smooth process from select -> download -> read on either of my i-devices. I may even buy a Kindle 4 or Touch, as lugging the iPad is not always ideal, and my iPhone 3's battery is getting iffy.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #72
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I only buy books from Amazon that are $0.00. If I want a book that is not free, I get it from somewhere else, usually Sony, although I have shopped at Kobo and Smashwords. I may try B&N soon; I borrowed a NOOK book from my friend and the experience was better than I expected.

The "why" is because I prefer to spend my money on epub.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #73
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
Amazon. Easy and quick.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:17 AM   #74
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I bought them at delphiclassics.com.
I mainly bought public domain books, as they are cheap and contained complete works of an entire author. Save me the time to track the books down one by one.
I don't read anything but classics.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:40 AM   #75
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This thread is over ten years old.

If anyone's interested in discussing where they currently buy their books, please make a new thread.

Thread Closed.
Closed Thread