Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
And I hate to tell you, but lenovo seems to have pulled the a1 from their site. You can still get a k1 with all those features, though...for twice the price.
It is still there.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/ideapad/a1

They have been doing a lot of site redesign work.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #32
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I didn't see yours. (turn of the page)
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #33
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I can't help but wonder who all these people are who are already dissapointed in the Kindle Fire, considering no one outside of a very select circle has even touched one yet. I say wait until the Fire is released and we actually know what's what.

We really don't know if it will allow access to the regular android market and apps, and I think it's premature to make claims about what it will or won't do.
carld, we are mainly going by the specifications that have been released. That is enough for some to turn away and look for something else. It is not necessary that we have it in our hands to know it has only 6GB of memory and no way of adding except for the CLOUD which you have to have WiFi to access.
It either has GPS or it doesn't, which is the case.
It doesn't have the free limited 3G anymore.

'nough said!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #34
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Lenovo pulled the price of the A1 from their site and you can no longer "Customize and Buy". It says it's temporarily unavailable for purchase. Previously it said a November ship date. Right now, it doesn't seem like an alternative buy.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #35
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Given your already well-established idiocy, I'm not surprised. Hint:

Try to customize and buy one.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #36
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
It is still there.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/ideapad/a1

They have been doing a lot of site redesign work.
Sorry, no. If you try to customize and purchase one, you're told that it's no longer available for purchase.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #37
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Lenovo pulled the price of the A1 from their site and you can no longer "Customize and Buy". It says it's temporarily unavailable for purchase. Previously it said a November ship date. Right now, it doesn't seem like an alternative buy.
Scion, I am relatively sure that at one time there was a Oct 27 ship date but that is pretty close to Nov and may be what you are talking about.

My guess is that Lenovo found that their Russia and China markets demand was greater than what they had estimated. Remember they never put it up for sale in the USA directly, which would have meant Amazon or Best Buy where they had their K1 on sale for 330USD for 2 days.

Anyway, I am willing to wait until what is available is what I want. The idea of a good $200 7" tablet is fantastic. It will nicely fill an empty niche in my assortment of electronics. At this point I am planning to buy two. One for myself and one for a relative.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Scion, I am relatively sure that at one time there was a Oct 27 ship date but that is pretty close to Nov and may be what you are talking about....
I was playing around last night with the "Customize and Buy" and it said November 21 ship date. I said to myself, "That's over a month out". No different than the new Kindles. It allowed me to Checkout. So, it was for sale directly from them. That's why I'm surprised at the current status. It doesn't direct you to any retailers for purchase.

Last edited by SCION; 10-13-2011 at 10:45 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #39
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Scion, I am relatively sure that at one time there was a Oct 27 ship date but that is pretty close to Nov and may be what you are talking about.
On October 7, the "estimated ship date" for the 2GB Lenovo A1 was shown as 10/28/11 with a price of $199. I printed the product page that day. A few days ago it was indicating a November ship date with a price of $229.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #40
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Anyway, I am willing to wait until what is available is what I want. The idea of a good $200 7" tablet is fantastic.
Economies of scale dictate that you'll be waiting a while. Amazon can get away with it because of their vertical integration.

However, I do agree that the idea is fantastic.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #41
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Economies of scale dictate that you'll be waiting a while. Amazon can get away with it because of their vertical integration.

However, I do agree that the idea is fantastic.
Amazon isn't offering the hardware options that Lenovo is.

However because Amazon wishes its video playback to be somewhat comparable to the iPad, it has some higher performance hardware.

Some people have said that Lenovo's hardware is (my phrasing) "so last year." Well last year wasn't too bad, and they are correct as far as performance capabilities for movies and streaming, and that is fine with me. I am interested in total hardware capabilities, accommodations, and options, like GPS, USB2 (OTG), SD memory cards, size of internal memory, etc.

I don't expect to stream that much video on my new $199 tablet.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #42
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Amazon isn't offering the hardware options that Lenovo is.
You're right, it's not. The Fire has a far superior screen (IPS), and vastly better processor.

And, before they pulled it, they'd bumped the price of the A1 to 230, not 199. So it'll be interesting to see what happens if they do make it available again.

I'm not being a fanboi, here. IF you could get a tablet at 199 that combined the Fire's processing power, screen, and access to media with gps, cam, sd slot et al...I'd be all over it. You just simply are not going to see it any time soon.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #43
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
IF you could get a tablet at 199 that combined the Fire's processing power, screen, and access to media with gps, cam, sd slot et al...I'd be all over it.
Me too! I don't particularly need GPS and a camera, although they would be nice. But if Amazon included an SD card slot in the Fire, I'd probably be buying it. To me, that's a must-have. I'm not sold on cloud storage.

Both the Fire and Lenovo A1 do not have everything I want, but for the price I cannot expect that they would. I may ultimately choose one of those, but I may just wait a while. Tablets are evolving quickly, and I expect prices will be coming down on many currently higher-priced models soon. There are also some interesting new tablets that will be released shortly, so I'll be watching for those reviews. The Galaxy Tab 7.7" has outstanding specs, and I may be willing to pay more for that; we'll see how it's priced.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #44
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
You're right, it's not. The Fire has a far superior screen (IPS), and vastly better processor.

And, before they pulled it, they'd bumped the price of the A1 to 230, not 199. So it'll be interesting to see what happens if they do make it available again.

I'm not being a fanboi, here. IF you could get a tablet at 199 that combined the Fire's processing power, screen, and access to media with gps, cam, sd slot et al...I'd be all over it. You just simply are not going to see it any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Me too! I don't particularly need GPS and a camera, although they would be nice. But if Amazon included an SD card slot in the Fire, I'd probably be buying it. To me, that's a must-have. I'm not sold on cloud storage.

Both the Fire and Lenovo A1 do not have everything I want, but for the price I cannot expect that they would. I may ultimately choose one of those, but I may just wait a while. Tablets are evolving quickly, and I expect prices will be coming down on many currently higher-priced models soon. There are also some interesting new tablets that will be released shortly, so I'll be watching for those reviews. The Galaxy Tab 7.7" has outstanding specs, and I may be willing to pay more for that; we'll see how it's priced.
If you look over under "News" at the Lenovo thread, you will see that the latest prices are $249 for a 16GB Lenovo A1. That has always been the plan for the USA market. That is $20 more than the 2GB Lenovo A1's price of $229.

Then you add to it memory card, capability, and USB2 OTG, you have as much memory as you want without cloud connection, without WiFi.

The Lenovo A1 solves the real problem of the Amazon Fire. Memory.
And yes, the Amazon Fire CPU is superior and is that way I believe for video streaming.

Choose wisely.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #45
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Really? Can you educate us on what screens the Fire and A1 have. Also what processor both have, pls include the speeds.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote