Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Aura keeps re "Importing Content"

Hi All,

Ever since updating to firmware ver 4.5.9587 and after re-starting the Aura or ejecting after sideloading from Calibre ver 3.6 the device re loads i.e."Importing Content" every time wiping out books that have been marked as read or the current position in books I'm currently reading. It does add the book(s) I've sideloaded, but seems to re-set (or not keep) other changes. The 1st time this happened I just went through my library and marked the books I read to "marked as finished" but these settings were all changed back to "unread" after I re-started the Aura or ejected after sideloading other books via Calibre. I've tried to remove some books instead of marking them as finished and these have remained removed, but I like to keep them on the reader in case I want to reread or just to check which books I've read.

Any help on this? (I've tried searching on this problem but can't seem to find relevant info) I don't want to have to reset to factory and reload as I've got over 450 books on board.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
Hi All,

Ever since updating to firmware ver 4.5.9587 and after re-starting the Aura or ejecting after sideloading from Calibre ver 3.6 the device re loads i.e."Importing Content" every time wiping out books that have been marked as read or the current position in books I'm currently reading. It does add the book(s) I've sideloaded, but seems to re-set (or not keep) other changes. The 1st time this happened I just went through my library and marked the books I read to "marked as finished" but these settings were all changed back to "unread" after I re-started the Aura or ejected after sideloading other books via Calibre. I've tried to remove some books instead of marking them as finished and these have remained removed, but I like to keep them on the reader in case I want to reread or just to check which books I've read.

Any help on this? (I've tried searching on this problem but can't seem to find relevant info) I don't want to have to reset to factory and reload as I've got over 450 books on board.
Are this books on your internal storage? If so, it sounds as if you have database corruption. Either signout/sign-in or a factory reset will be needed to restore your database.

The other option is if your Kobo has an external uSD card and you have kepubs on the external uSD card which will be rescanned on a restart due to a bug in the current firmware.

If you are not using Calibre with the Kobo Utiliites plugin, this might be a good time to start using them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Gordo29
Connoisseur

Correct, these books have been sideloaded via Calibre to the micro sd card in the Aura. I do have Kobo Utilities, but I'm not sure if the backed up database is old enough to fix my problem. I assume that by restoring this database I'll have to reload any books I've added since that time.
By signing out/in I assume you mean to my Kobo account? If I do that it seems to me that would be the safest way to try to fix the corruption, and the last resort the factory reset.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Correct, these books have been sideloaded via Calibre to the micro sd card in the Aura. I do have Kobo Utilities, but I'm not sure if the backed up database is old enough to fix my problem. I assume that by restoring this database I'll have to reload any books I've added since that time.
By signing out/in I assume you mean to my Kobo account? If I do that it seems to me that would be the safest way to try to fix the corruption, and the last resort the factory reset.
The signout/sign-in does not revert to the factory firmware so it is a faster approach than the factory reset.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If you are putting kepubs on the SD card, then it is a bug in the 4.5.9587 firmware. In that case, there is probably nothing wrong with the database. Your choices are to either downgrade, or put these books in the main memory.

If you aren't using kepubs on the SD card, you can use the Kobo Utilities to check the database. But, if you are using the plugin to automatically backup the database, it will check the backup each time and report if there are problems. And if you decide to restore the database, the books you have added since then will already be in the device. They should get added automatically.
Quote:
As DNSB said, the sign-out is the quickest way and usually works. And the books will still be on the device and get loaded. When I do this for a device with an external SD card, I usually take the card out first. That is simply to allow me to get the device going and then load the books from the card in a separate step.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
Gordo29
Connoisseur

OK, I tried logging out/in via Kobo and this didn't work. I tried factory re-set, and this didn't work. Lastly, I went back to firmware 4.4.934 and this worked (insert happy face here). I also turned off the wifi and used the patch to block it from upgrading via wifi to try to prevent the installation of 4.5.9.587.

Question, does this patch block using wifi or just block the upgrading the firmware via wifi (I'm trying to decide if I enable wifi again or not)?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I had this very issue the other day. My solution was to delete the entire content as my father had decided he had read over 600 books in the two week VACAY he took. So I added the new books he requested and have not seen the problem since. I assume it was due to data corruption. Not sure why this would have happened but it was my solution.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Gordo29
Connoisseur

Known bug in 4.5.9587

In another thread davidfor confirmed there is a bug in 4.5.9587 which was causing my problem with the upgrade (post 241):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=1#post3569693

If you have kepubs on an external sd card they are re-processed when a card is inserted or disconnected from the pc. Therefore, the downgrade to 4.4.934 is the only solution until they fix the bug.

Problem solved.