Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
nusilver
nusilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Looking for help with a Kindle back issue of The New Yorker

All,

I'm copying the text of a request I posted on KindleBoards.com after my request was met coolly by a mod over there; a member suggested I try here. Please help if you can!

All,

Recently, I sat at my kitchen table with my girlfriend, reading her Jonathan Safran Foer's "Here We Aren't, So Quickly," from the June 14th & 21st Summer Fiction Issue of The New Yorker. I wasn't trying to get all emotional, but the story just sort of swept me into it's insights about relationships and growing old together, and by the end of the story, tears were rolling down my cheeks.

I came close to tears again this morning when I went to read more of the issue on my Kindle and found out it had been removed from my device because I failed to mark it "keep." of course, the issue isn't available to download again from Amazon.com, and when I called customer service (my first time, I usually just email, but this was important to me!), the representative assured me they could send the magazine back to my Kindle, put me on hold, and then promptly came back and said "uh...I guess I didn't know our back issue retention policy. It's not letting me go farther back than July 5th." He then apologized because he couldn't help me, thanked me for my patronage, and hung up the phone.

I love my Kindle, and despite having an iPad, I recently ordered a second device for my girlfriend to read on. But this is a major disappointment! So I'm hoping to appeal to a community that I've always viewed from the outside as very passionate about their Kindles, and compassionate to users looking for help that Amazon couldn't provide them.

[EDITED OUT - MODERATOR]

Thanks in advance, guys/ladies. Also, moderators, if this topic feels too "grey," despite my assertions to the legality of DRM removal from ebooks, please allow me to edit it before removing it. This is really, really important to me.

link to the original thread: http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,32212.0.html

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-12-2010 at 03:26 PM.
nusilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I was the member that suggested that you try here. To be fair to Kindle Boards, their forum rules disallow any discussion of DRM. It just has a different focus than MobileRead.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
For $5.99 you can access the June 14 digital edition for one year directly from The New Yorker website.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
We allow discussion of DRM.

WE DO NOT ALLOW THE SOLICITATION FROM OUR MEMBERS OF HAVING THEM ILLEGALLY REMOVE DRM, AS YOU HAVE DONE.

PLEASE STOP.

Plese read our Posting Guidelines located at the top of each page.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
nusilver
nusilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
We allow discussion of DRM.

WE DO NOT ALLOW THE SOLICITATION FROM OUR MEMBERS OF HAVING THEM ILLEGALLY REMOVE DRM, AS YOU HAVE DONE.

PLEASE STOP.

Plese read our Posting Guidelines located at the top of each page.

Don
(Moderator)
Wow. That was excessive, and removal of DRM from eBooks is no longer illegal in the US as ruled by the Library of Congress, but I get the point. I won't ask for help here anymore. Thanks to all, especially Tom.
nusilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
Wow. That was excessive, and removal of DRM from eBooks is no longer illegal in the US as ruled by the Library of Congress, but I get the point. I won't ask for help here anymore. Thanks to all, especially Tom.
I had not read your thread on Kindleboards until now, or I would not have suggested purchasing the digital version of the issue from The New Yorker site (since you'd received that suggestion previously ). I really think the idea you were given to go to the library and photocopy the story was an excellent idea that you should really consider.

I hope you will hang around MR for a while and get a real feel for the place.
We do discuss DRM removal (for personal use) and a lot of techie things related to ebooks and ebook readers but we cannot provide the kind of help you requested. Someone might give you hints on how to do it for yourself (outside of MR) but I don't think anyone would do it for you.

We really are a helpful group but we have guidelines just like Kindleboards that we have to follow.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
On the other forum I had also suggested that after paper copies of the article were obtained, either using the library or buy buying a physical copy of that issue from the publisher, that OCR be used to extract the words into a Word document and then sent to his Kindle e-mail address to be converted to .azw format.

Or just re-type the entire article into a Word document (or hire someone) and convert it. I mean, if you really want it...
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote