Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-07-2024, 07:49 PM   #1
ehbowen
ehbowen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Desktop and Nook...file locations?

I have a number of e-books which I've purchased through Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook. While I don't have a dedicated e-reader, I read these books with the proprietary apps on my (Android) phone and through the available Windows desktop apps.

Since I'm not a fan of Microsoft and I'm unimpressed with Windows 11, I've decided that Win10 is as far as I go and I'm migrating my software and files to Ubuntu Linux. I'd like to convert my purchased eBooks, for my own personal use, to a generic format and/or add them as is to my Calibre Library. But I'm having difficulty finding the file storage locations. Suggestions?
ehbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:24 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Fresh downloads from the store(s) via browser are easiest to de-DRM.

As a long time Windows* and Linux user (inc redhat, debian, ubuntu, suse, dsl, centos, fedora, Rasprian) I'd recommend Linux Mint with Mate, or at least Ubuntu + Mate.
I have multiple desktops (Cinnamon, XFCE etc) and several users so as to have a GUI if I break something.

(* NT from 3.5 to Win10, the other from Win 3.0 to win9x. XP from 2002 to 2016. Win7 for months. I have VMs on Linux inc clone of the 2002 laptop for XP, Win7 & Win10, barely used. A spare laptop with win10, not used)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 09:02 AM   #3
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
I have a number of e-books which I've purchased through Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook. While I don't have a dedicated e-reader, I read these books with the proprietary apps on my (Android) phone and through the available Windows desktop apps.

<snip>

But I'm having difficulty finding the file storage locations.
For the Kindle Desktop app the location of downloaded files is

Documents/My Kindle Content
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:35 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
For the Kindle Desktop app the location of downloaded files is

Documents/My Kindle Content
You can also open the app and use the menu choice Tools, Options, Content to see the full path to the folder where Kindle for PC stores its files. In recent versions of the app each book will be in a separate subfolder named by its ASIN.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM   #5
Chinook1544
Green Grass Newbie
Chinook1544 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you are using Nook for PC then your content can be found at C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble. Nook_ahnzqzva31enc\LocalState

Insert your user name ILO the XXXX
Chinook1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #6
ehbowen
ehbowen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks much; those posts were very helpful.
ehbowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle app, linux ubuntu, nook app