Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Does any ebook reader support Japanese?

I'm an American living in Japan, and one of my Japanese friends is wildly jealous of my Sony Reader. Is there a reader out there that can support Japanese language books? She can speak English fluently but reading English is hard for her, but she loves to read in Japanese.

If anyone can share info about Japanese ebook readers, I would really appreciate it (and so would my friend)!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is the Sony Libre page...........in Japanese...........

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/LIBRIE/

I hope its still current......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here is the Sony Libre page...........in Japanese...........

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/LIBRIE/

I hope its still current......
Thanks desertgrandma! I'm going to show my friend now and find out if she's interested.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I"m sure there are others out there.......this is just one I came across. Others will post if there are.

Meanwhile, he is Gutenberg's list of PB ebooks in Japanese.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/ja

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-21-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Librie is, I'm pretty sure, no longer sold.

There are numerous devices which support far-eastern languages, including Japanese. These include BeBook, PocketBook, and CyBook devices, to name but 3 brands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Librie is, I'm pretty sure, no longer sold.

There are numerous devices which support far-eastern languages, including Japanese. These include BeBook, PocketBook, and CyBook devices, to name but 3 brands.
Thanks. I was afraid of that!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n

Yes, after I googled the Librie, I saw that it was not longer made. I'll check out the three that HarryT mentioned as well. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Look for "Hanlin"; that's the brand name that "BeBook" devices are retailed as in the far east. Specific models are the Hanlin V3 and V5.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Just give me a Japanese ttf font and a Japanese text in html with encoding declared in the html file, or Japanese text in UTF8 (if that is possible) and I will make a few screenshots for you on my PocketBook.
It would be good if the text had some characters all scripts you want to use - kanji, hiragana, katakana and rōmaji so you could make sure the device will display all the characters properly.

If you make pdf almost any device should display Japanese properly. I am afraid that the only way to make any Reader to display Japanese written from top to bottom (in columns) would be to make a pdf file. If you want to make pdf file be sure to set proper page size (cca 90x115mm)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
SharonFruit
SharonFruit began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, Boox60
All PocketBooks support Japanese, as well as Onyx Boox 60.

You may find them at www.ereadersandtablets.com
SharonFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
helenching78
helenching78 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 300
Please do show me the result if anyone of you succeed!
BTW, I'm using Sony ereader PRS-300 to read Japanese book. I download image version or text(in Aozora Bunka format) and convert them into ePub format. There is a free software created by Japanese call ChainLP for that purpose.
You can download from
http://no722.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/
The size of the book would be quite large --> a 200 page book would be about 20MB in size and so on. I enjoy large sized mystery novels so I can only load less than 15 books to the reader. But it doesn't really matter.

I bought the PRS-300 because it is cheap and of small size. I found the small screen quite acceptable.
The Libre homepage stopped selling e-book 2 years ago. What a pity. I used to rent books from them to read on PC.

Last edited by helenching78; 02-23-2010 at 09:34 AM.
helenching78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n

Thanks everyone. This may be getting a little complicated. I'm not sure how my friend will be able to convert files and stuff (she's almost 70 and not very computer savvy). I suppose I could load some books on it for her.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:16 AM   #13
abbyT
abbyT began at the beginning.

Device: likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Yes, after I googled the Librie, I saw that it was not longer made. I'll check out the three that HarryT mentioned as well. Thanks!

i bought ebook reader (Likebook Mars-7.8")and they told japanese can be updated in This Oct.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07HNMRFG7
abbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyT View Post
i bought ebook reader (Likebook Mars-7.8")and they told japanese can be updated in This Oct.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07HNMRFG7
please notice that the rest of the thread is 8 years old.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #15
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Kobos and Kindles are both sold in Japan so I'm sure they support Japanese.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote