Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #31
lfabrizio
lfabrizio began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST
The Expanse Series by James S.A. Corey starting with Leviathon Wakes (actually there's a short prequel The Butcher of Anderson Station published later)
lfabrizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #32
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Most of these are quite old, but for big concept SF:
Michael Crichton - Jurassic Park and Prey.
Larry Niven - Ringworld
James P. Hogan - Inherit the Stars
Gregory Benford - Timescape
Greg Bear - Darwin's Radio
Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl (published this century!)

Fantasy:
Sergei Lukyanenko - The Night Watch
Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's Dart
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
Maybe [I]Perdido Street Station
I'm actually going to be reading this for a book club in February. It's not a small book. About double the average size of mist books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Fantasy:
Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's Dart
Really really really boring. Don't bother.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:20 PM   #35
irishmac473
Enthusiast
irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
For hard sci-fi, if you haven't read them yet, take a look at

Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
I would also say check out 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
I'm sure you've read it if your a Sci-Fi fan but if not Dune
irishmac473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmac473 View Post
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
If you do read Hyperion, you'll also need to read The Fall of Hyperion as Hyperion is not standalone or complete. There are more books in the series but the 2nd books is a lot different then the first book.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #37
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
T
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

They all have likeable characters.
Loved the trilogy. Moon writes really well - very nice simple style.

For big concept/worlds, likeable characters, I would suggest:

Wizard of Earthsea Books (for young adults yes, but still really good books for any age)

Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan. Lighthearted, engaging fantasy - imagine Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in a fantasy world.

The Shannara books are great reads as well. I especially like Elfstones of Shannara, Wishsong of Shannara, and Elfqueen of Shannara. Solid epic fantasy with great characters. Some consider a bit of a rip off of Tolkien but I think if you start with Elfstones of Shannara the novels will seem less like LOTR. Sword of the Shannara is the culprit.

Scifi:

Have you read Wool by Hugh Howey? If not, I recommend that.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:40 AM   #38
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
Some consider a bit of a rip off of Tolkien but I think if you start with Elfstones of Shannara the novels will seem less like LOTR. Sword of the Shannara is the culprit.
I can't recommend starting with Elfstones instead of Sword, but I definitely agree that Sword is the culprit. After it the quality of the books goes up for the most part and the story changes/grows. I do think Sword is the proper starting point for the series though - it introduces so much about the world that jumping into Elfstones would be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
Have you read Wool by Hugh Howey? If not, I recommend that.
I highly recommend this too. Excellent book and series. One of my favorite books from the last couple years and the only book I have read twice since 2011. (All my other re-reads were originally read before 2011.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #39
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Ancillary Justice, damn fine book. Bit short though.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #40
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Ancillary Justice, damn fine book. Bit short though.
Counting that?
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #41
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
I have read many books over this last year (including the first six Malazan books) and I have come to the annoying conclusion that I have loved none of them.
Ahh, too bad. But just because I think the series is great doesn't mean you have to.

Quote:
My four favourite books of all time are in order, Anathem, A Deepness in the Sky, A Fire Upon the Deep, Let the Right One In.
Have you read any other of Neal Stephenson's books? I think some are quite good. Others, well ...

Books in the Culture series by Iain M. Banks (mentioned by some others). They aren't all great but still ...

More space opera: Alaistair Reynolds (yes! yes!). Have you read any Peter Hamilton?

I liked Kay's Tapestry series.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #42
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I wonder if you would like the Retrieval Artist series by Kristine Katherine Rusch. It reads in some ones like a police procedural set mostly on the moon (but not always). The big concept of the series is about how Earth chooses to deal with the "alien" cultures and laws.

ETA: The books started out published by one of the mainstream publishers but they dropped the series. She's re-released them herself, and continued to add to the series. I've found almost all of them on one or other of the Overdrive libraries I belong to, and I "recommended" the rest - just waiting to see if they'll bite. And I've seen them at Kobo, and they appear to be couponable.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 01-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #43
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
The Martian is a good hard-science read, and very accesible (no math required ). The Golem and the Jinni is a current (fantasy) favorite of mine as well.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
The Martian is a good hard-science read, and very accesible (no math required ). The Golem and the Jinni is a current (fantasy) favorite of mine as well.
I've read both of those in the past year, and they're both solid 5/5s from me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #45
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I think you would really enjoy the three books in Neal Asher's "Agent Cormac" series: "Gridlinked", "Brass Man", and "The Line of Polity." The threads involving the hyperjacked, super psychotic "Golem 25" --- the 8-foot tall Mr. Crane (Ichabod, anyone? ) --- are quite intense, and run through the whole series. He is surely one of the most imposing characters that I've ever encountered in the science fiction universe --- that is, if you disregard Martin Gardner's planet-eater, Thang, and the even larger entity who chowed down on Thang...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote