Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 AM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
No, you can listen in series. I have an old shuffle. I use it sometimes with audiobooks when I workout because it clips to your clothes and is small. I only load one book at a time (although a book can be comprised of multiple audio files).
Thanks. That's good. Listening to books in shuffle mode would be exasperating. I like the size of the device.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #47
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
If you like the size and the clip of the shuffle look into the Sansa Clip Zip. Small and lightweight. I've had a few of the Clip Plus for years, still going strong. It also has a micro SD slot so you can add up to 32gb of additional memory. I love mine!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Another recommendation for the Clip Zip! Inexpensive, easy to use, great little device!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My buds died after two months. I had them charging in one of my PC's USB slots that I always used for the purpose and when I went to disconnect them, they were quite hot. Now all I get from them is a red light when they're plugged in that normally indicates they're charging. I called Jaybird Customer Support, and the fellow there took down all my information and assured me that he'd be turning it over to the proper folks and I'd be hearing from them within the week. Sounds good to me.

In the meantime, I bought these Jarv NMotion Sport Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Stereo Earbuds

Attachment 125738

They're not even in the same ball park as the Jaybird earbuds. The maximum volume is much lower, probably due to the fact that the way they fit in the ear is not nearly as tight or secure as the Jaybirds. The only way I can have any assurance that they won't fall out of my ears is to use the behind-the-ear holders, which, while they do an okay job of holding them in place, ensure that they don't fit snugly.

I'm hoping my experience with the first set of Jaybird Freedom Sprint earbuds was a fluke, and that the replacements, when they arrive, will prove indestructible. I'll let you all know if I have any further problems with them. I certainly hope not, because while they worked, they were undoubtedly the best set of ear-buds I ever owned.
A bit of an update here. Last Friday I returned the Freedom Sprint earbuds to Jaybirds via the cheapest UPS route possible. They're scheduled to arrive at the address Jaybird customer service provided by the end of the day tomorrow.

About those Jarv NMotion Earbuds I've been using in the meantime:
• For audiobooks, I've actually grown to prefer the sound of the Jarv NMotion earbuds, as they don't have that beefed-up bass that so many folks like for their music. Conversely, while I haven't listened to music through them, I can only imagine that—for music—the Jarv NMotion earbuds are probably a bit more geared toward the treble ranges than most people would like. But don't quote me on that.
• The fit to my ears is nowhere near as snug and secure as the Jaybird earbuds. The rubber stabilizers (3 different sizes come with the earbud) are all I need to keep the earbuds in place. With the Jarv NMotion earbuds, I find that I need to use the stabilizers (one-size-fits-all, but not too well) plus the snap-on behind the ear clips, which can be somewhat of a pain to adjust. And even then, they aren't snug.

I can't wait until I get my Jaybirds back.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
A bit of an update here. Last Friday I returned the Freedom Sprint earbuds to Jaybirds via the cheapest UPS route possible. They're scheduled to arrive at the address Jaybird customer service provided by the end of the day tomorrow.

About those Jarv NMotion Earbuds I've been using in the meantime:
• For audiobooks, I've actually grown to prefer the sound of the Jarv NMotion earbuds, as they don't have that beefed-up bass that so many folks like for their music. Conversely, while I haven't listened to music through them, I can only imagine that—for music—the Jarv NMotion earbuds are probably a bit more geared toward the treble ranges than most people would like. But don't quote me on that.
• The fit to my ears is nowhere near as snug and secure as the Jaybird earbuds. The rubber stabilizers (3 different sizes come with the earbud) are all I need to keep the earbuds in place. With the Jarv NMotion earbuds, I find that I need to use the stabilizers (one-size-fits-all, but not too well) plus the snap-on behind the ear clips, which can be somewhat of a pain to adjust. And even then, they aren't snug.

I can't wait until I get my Jaybirds back.
So, the sound of the Jarv NMotion with the fitting of the Jaybirds?

I can understand that the heavy bass on the Jaybirds can be annoying when listening to spoken words. I always turn off the bass when I'm listening to spoken sounds in the car and on again when I'm listening to music.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2014, 02:51 AM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, the sound of the Jarv NMotion with the fitting of the Jaybirds?...
Exactly. Plus the volume of the Jaybirds.

But overall, the Jaybirds. A snug fit covers a multitude of sins

And those silly things that Apple provides with their iPods? Forget it. I can't get them to stay in my ears when I'm sitting rock still. Who do they make those things for, Vulcans? They certainly aren't shaped for human ears.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-01-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #52
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Besides my shuffle, I also have a Sansa Clip Zip, but I have to click on each individual chapter of the audio book(on the sanza clip zip) to get them to play. Maybe I don't transfer the book correctly? For the shuffle, I just create a playlist using the book title, drag and drop the book into that playlist. Once the book is on the shuffle, that's it. (The audio book plays through all chapters) My husband took my shuffle to work this week so he could listen to the Dresden Files while he works. I don't think I am going to get it back.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #53
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with the way the shuffle operates. Is it always in "shuffle" mode? I don't know if I said that right, but it's a serious question. It's hard to imaging a device with even less playing options than my iPod Nano.
The shuffle has a sliding button on top of the device. (At least my 5th generation does) where the middle position keeps everything playing in order on the current playlist. The last position on the slider shuffles the content on the playlist. My shuffle has 6 of the Dresden Files books on it which is plenty for my needs. To switch between playlists... There is another button on top of the device for playlists. Press the playlist button while you have headphones on and you will hear the playlists recited to you one at a time. When the voice recites the playlist that you want to listen to, just press the play button and that's it.
I am not a fan of apple, but I do like my shuffle. I don't need a screen to find what I want. It comes in handy when I am biking or running.(can't be on the road biking and looking at a screen)

Hope this gives you a better idea of how the shuffle works.

penny

Last edited by mystika1; 08-01-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #54
mystika1
Addict

Quote:

And those silly things that Apple provides with their iPods? Forget it. I can't get them to stay in my ears when I'm sitting rock still. Who do they make those things for, Vulcans? They certainly aren't shaped for human ears.
Live long and prosper!
Although not my favorite sounding ear phones, they stay in my ears through biking and running. It's official... I am an alien. (Don't tell my husband, he already suspects..)

Penny
Old 08-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #55
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Besides my shuffle, I also have a Sansa Clip Zip, but I have to click on each individual chapter of the audio book(on the sanza clip zip) to get them to play. Maybe I don't transfer the book correctly? For the shuffle, I just create a playlist using the book title, drag and drop the book into that playlist. Once the book is on the shuffle, that's it. (The audio book plays through all chapters) My husband took my shuffle to work this week so he could listen to the Dresden Files while he works. I don't think I am going to get it back.
On the Clip Zip, go to Settings, Audio Book options. Make sure that Ch[apter] Mode is on. That should make the chapters play in sequence.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #56
mystika1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
On the Clip Zip, go to Settings, Audio Book options. Make sure that Ch[apter] Mode is on. That should make the chapters play in sequence.
Thank You! You just made the Clip Zip way more useful to us. Maybe I can get my shuffle back from my husband now.

Penny
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank You! You just made the Clip Zip way more useful to us. Maybe I can get my shuffle back from my husband now.
You're welcome!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
The shuffle has a sliding button on top of the device. (At least my 5th generation does) where the middle position keeps everything playing in order on the current playlist. The last position on the slider shuffles the content on the playlist. My shuffle has 6 of the Dresden Files books on it which is plenty for my needs. To switch between playlists... There is another button on top of the device for playlists. Press the playlist button while you have headphones on and you will hear the playlists recited to you one at a time. When the voice recites the playlist that you want to listen to, just press the play button and that's it.
I am not a fan of apple, but I do like my shuffle. I don't need a screen to find what I want. It comes in handy when I am biking or running.(can't be on the road biking and looking at a screen)

Hope this gives you a better idea of how the shuffle works.

penny
Yes it does, and I thank you. For now my nano is serving my audiobook needs quite well, but if it ever needs to be replaced, I'll keep the Shuffle in mind.

For portable music, I have a 30GB 5th generation iPod. Not to be confused with the 5th generation Touch; this is the non-touch classic model that was originally released in late 2006. Eight years old and still going strong.

Quote:
Live long and prosper!
Although not my favorite sounding ear phones, they stay in my ears through biking and running. It's official... I am an alien. (Don't tell my husband, he already suspects..)

Penny
Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #59
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Some really great ideas here!

My current audiobook devices are a 7th gen Nano, a 5th gen Itouch and a Nook HD+. My go-to device is the Nano. It goes everywhere with me. Audible, sideloads and library items go on here. The Itouch I use at home with the Audible app ( I also take it with me for ER visits since the average visit is like 5 hours). Both Idevices use bluetooth. I use the Nook HD due to its great speaker. It holds my book club selections. The Kindle HDX is new to me. Both the Nook HD & Kindle HDX also use bluetooth as an option.

I recently bought a Jabra Classic handsfree earspeaker to listen to audiobooks on long drives. Way better than dealing with wires and I can hear better because the mini-van has a lot of road noise.

I've used a shuffle for audiobooks in the past. Once you have them in order on the computer, it keeps them in order if you turn off shuffle. Nowdays, it holds my exercise music. I also have a 6th gen Nano (replaced recalled 1st gen) that I use primarily for music, but occasionally for audiobooks. The Kitchen docking station will only take this unit amongst all my others, so if I have a long day of food prep, I'll pop an audiobook on there.

I really like KOSH earbuds. They are comfortable and noise cancelling,but my cats like them too and kept ruining them. I now get these JVC Sport ones. $20 at Best Buy, way less at Amazon. The cats ignore them.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-08-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #60
Sluum
WS Writing Company NV
Sluum began at the beginning.

Device: none yet but looking
A 6th Gen Nano or Zune HD.
Sluum is offline   Reply With Quote