Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
I see they added a "hint" which says if you don't see all your books click the "refresh" 2-circling-arrows icon.

I guess it was easier to add a line of text than fix the disappearing books bug.

Three hours and counting since I last sideloade and deleted some books with Calibre and, as usual, all the books that should have been untouched disappeared from the Nook library. They're still visible in Calibre and via Mac desktop folder contents, so I continue to sigh and trust the Nook will eventually get itself updated.

Why, oh, why can't the Nook keep from losing track of its own files?
I dunno what to tell you Broham as you are not really giving me any technical or extra information. I currently have 84 books sideloaded on my Nook Glowlight Plus 2 , with the same firmware, as you, and my ebooks are totally fine.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
I see they added a "hint" which says if you don't see all your books click the "refresh" 2-circling-arrows icon.

I guess it was easier to add a line of text than fix the disappearing books bug.

Three hours and counting since I last sideloade and deleted some books with Calibre and, as usual, all the books that should have been untouched disappeared from the Nook library. They're still visible in Calibre and via Mac desktop folder contents, so I continue to sigh and trust the Nook will eventually get itself updated.

Why, oh, why can't the Nook keep from losing track of its own files?
I suggest trying this. Factory rest your device. Make sure you have the new firmware it will probably do the firmware automatically after the facotry reset while setting up.

Then do this :

1.) Load three books at a time with Calibre. I mean make sure no more than three at a time are fully processed. After it shows it is processed in the lower right hand corner do three more then repeat etc.. etc.. repeat etc.. etc... ad nauseam until you have the amount of books you want on the device. You might get away with 5 at a time, instead of 3, but I dunno.

2.)Make sure you eject your device with the software in Calibre then possibly also MacOSX and wait for a message it is properly ejected with the OS.

3.) Pull your device out of the physical USB connector

4.) Viola ! Should all work
Advert
Old 08-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #18
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Sigh. I remember this problem-solving advice from the early Windows days:

"First, reformat your hard drive ...."

I've already done that reset a couple of times with the Nook, but not since the last firmware update came out. So I'll do it again.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Hello hank,

I gave up on the Glowlight 3 about a year ago, so I don't know what the recent software upgrade may have done. But my experience was that the Glow 3 seemed to rebuild its memory every time any material was side-loaded onto the device. So you not only have to wait for it to copy the new books, but also wait for it to re-copy ALL the previously side-loaded files! With a library of any size, this begins to take quite a long time.

My personal frustration was that I would arrange the books on 'shelves' on the device. But any time ANYthing was side-loaded, ALL the side-loaded books would disappear from the shelves. In effect, they were all new to the device, and had to be re-added to the shelves.

If I had to use the Glow 3, I would side load just a few books at a time, and delete them from the device when I finished reading them.

Instead, I abandoned NOOK for Kobo about a year ago, and I have not regretted it.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:13 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
For what it's worth, I've seen no such behavior from my Glowlight Plus. Currently it has 900 books on it, all sideloaded from Calibre. Of course it's a new device and who knows what's going to happen down the road. But it behaves itselt at the moment, at least. It has fewer options than Kindles and it's slower (yes, I did upgrade from Dalvik to Art, as per instructions posted here), but I still like it. The screen is very nice and it's comfortable to hold, even though it looks rather inelegant with its big bulky body. But I've never liked the tendency towards nonexistent bezels, so that suits me just fine.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-07-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2019, 02:20 AM   #21
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

I got some more updates about a night or two ago but it did not change my firmware version and I am wondering if that may have happened last time I posted this thread ? If so them , oops !

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 08-08-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:22 AM   #22
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For what it's worth, I've seen no such behavior from my Glowlight Plus. Currently it has 900 books on it, all sideloaded from Calibre. Of course it's a new device and who knows what's going to happen down the road. But it behaves itselt at the moment, at least. It has fewer options than Kindles and it's slower (yes, I did upgrade from Dalvik to Art, as per instructions posted here), but I still like it. The screen is very nice and it's comfortable to hold, even though it looks rather inelegant with its big bulky body. But I've never liked the tendency towards nonexistent bezels, so that suits me just fine.
Same here I have no problem with my device.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #23
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I got some more updates about a night or two ago but it did not change my firmware version and I am wondering if that may have happened last time I posted this thread ? If so them , oops !
Wait, nevermind it is updating again. I thought rebooting the device would allow it to upgrade the new software but it specifically says it will update when my device goes to sleep not when I reboot it. I will keep you guys updated.

It says : "A new version of the software is downloaded. Your NOOK will update when it goes to sleep. Enjoy reading in the meantime."

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 08-08-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:45 AM   #24
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Alright, it says :

What's new in version 50.0.133 :

This software update For your NOOK Glowlight Plus includes the following improvements :

New design makes it easier than ever to navigate the NOOK experience.

New ways to sort, filter, and view your books based on reader feedback.

Reading progress and complete date tracking.

More personalized recommendations and category-specific shopping.

Additional fixes and improvements.

Thank you for using NOOK !

They obviously did a bunch of stuff here including bug fixes.

Firmware version is now 50.0.133/50.5.35 or what they call the App Version but it looks like The Shop Version and Readouts Version might have updated as well.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
i'm finding that pressing the home button is now much more responsive

it used to take several seconds, and weird refreshes to get to the homescreen, it's rather quick and seamless now

the same applies to general navigation, from what i can see

good shit

i wrote off my GL3 upon getting a Forma, and I was planning on gifting it to someone (as part of a larger back-to-school themed gift, don't worry), so i'm glad the recipient will get a device that will prove to be less frustrating
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
i'm finding that pressing the home button is now much more responsive

it used to take several seconds, and weird refreshes to get to the homescreen, it's rather quick and seamless now

the same applies to general navigation, from what i can see

good shit

i wrote off my GL3 upon getting a Forma, and I was planning on gifting it to someone (as part of a larger back-to-school themed gift, don't worry), so i'm glad the recipient will get a device that will prove to be less frustrating
Seems that software-wise the GL3 was a real failure. I haven't read so many bug reports about any other device. Certainly the GL Plus 2 doesn't have most of those bugs, including the home button lag. Strange why they bungled the GL3, by all accounts the earlier Nooks had pretty decent software.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-08-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
My hunch is that they tried to slap their tablet reader software onto an eink device and hilarity ensued.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
So, to sum up... this is two new updates in the last month or so? Does anyone know if these updates were available on the (original) Glowlight Plus as well as the Glowlight 3 and the "all new" Glowlight Plus (7.8")? Do these updates actually fix the issues folks were having with these devices? (Especially the disappearing books issue.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #29
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I finally got the new firmware overnight on my Glo3. Delayed since I leave wifi off. I just wanted to note that the firmware does not extend to older units like Simple Touch.

I really like the option to be able to sort stuff into shelves and have it disappear from the general title section. Makes it much easier to figure out if something had been shelved or not. AND you can do it individually instead of having this great, giant list to check mark.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #30
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Tarana
Did you mean that we can now sort items onto shelves and they will not be deleted but will actually remain in shelves. That would actually be helpful! Lately I have begun to like this Nook glowlight 3 more and more. Still wish they would sell the glowlight plus 7.8 in the stores again.

Last edited by Kaysclie; 08-08-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, features, firmware, nook