Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #1
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
epub to fb2

Whenever I try to convert epub to fb2, the job status quickly reaches and remains at 67%. After becoming frustrated, I downloaded Hamster. I have stopped using it since learning about the GPL violation. I recently downloaded Any EBook Converter and note that it too is based on Calibre but I don't know if it meets Calibres policies. My question is that while both Hamster and Any EBook Converter took anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to convert a book, after 5 hours Calbre remains stuck at 67%. I don't mind if it will take a long time to convert a book and do not want to use software which is violating Calibre's policies. I also would prefer not to do conversions online. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I should note that the files I'm trying to convert to do have a lot of images and vary in size, with some as small as 6 mb or 9 mb, with a few at 28 mb.

I have a Pocketbook Reader which runs Linux. Unfortunately, images in epubs often are shown as a very small size and cannot be enlarged as in Android based readers or tablets. Converting to fb2 changes the image size to fit the width of the screen. The Pocketbook support people have confirmed the problem. This is the reason I'm doing the conversions.
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I would highly recommend letting ONE book conversion from calibre run as long as it needs to to make sure it finishes. Then others can determine if there is an actual problem or if Calibre is just taking a long time (which seems to happen with books with lots of images).
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I would highly recommend letting ONE book conversion from calibre run as long as it needs to to make sure it finishes. Then others can determine if there is an actual problem or if Calibre is just taking a long time (which seems to happen with books with lots of images).
Thanks. I'll try that. I just noticed that one of my epub files is over 60 mb. Ouch! I guess I'll have to find out whether it's just taking a long time or whether Calibre is choking on such a large size.
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
calibre conversions have been known to take over 24 hours, it's not a function of file size, it's a function of complexity, and it's a stepwise process rather than linear, and 67% is one of the - 'rest points'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
67% is where the output format plugin starts running. Many output plugins dont provide progress updates, so it appears to "stick" there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote