Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 01:56 AM   #28711
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
The third volume, Oathbringer, is not as good as the first two ones in the Stormlight Archive series.
I beg to differ. 😉
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:16 AM   #28712
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
I beg to differ. 😉
Fair enough. I too beg to differ.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #28713
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now I'm reading The Valley of Shadows by John Ringo and Mike Massa. Another viewpoint on Ringo's Zombie apocalypse series. I expect it to be a quick fun read.
And indeed it was. If you count extreme violence in a zombie apocalypse 'fun'.

Next up: Guilty Not Guilty by Felix Francis. A mystery/detective story set (somehow) in the world of horse racing. Should be fun.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #28714
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finally finished The Institute by Stephen King. Good book!

Just started Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik. I'll try anything that has a space chick with a gun on the cover.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:24 AM   #28715
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Guilty Not Guilty by Felix Francis. A mystery/detective story set (somehow) in the world of horse racing. Should be fun.
And it was fun. Although I don't think the title or tag line did it any favours.

And Felix needs an editor to help him cut back on irrelevant info dumps. No need to show all your research.

But the story was good. The next one will be on my wishlist.

Next up: All the Plagues of Hell by Eric Flint and David Freer.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-06-2020 at 02:30 AM.
Advert
Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #28716
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Well I meant to start The Way of Kings but somehow I started The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. No worries though, Way of Kings is definitely next!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #28717
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
Currently reading The Preacher's Wife by Kate Bowler, as someone who's been in and out of evangelical subcultures but doesn't know a lot about the megachurch world, it's been really interesting!

Also listening to the audiobook of Children of the Land by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo. I saw it recommended as something to read in lieu of American Dirt (as far as like, actually having migrants tell their own stories) and so far it's beautifully written and a little heartbreaking.
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:12 AM   #28718
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
For one reason or another it's been a while since I posted on this thread. Since then my reading has included...

The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald. This was a New Leaf Book club selection and you can read more about it here:

In the Lair a collection of short stories by various indie authors. I bought this ages ago but only just got around to reading it. As might be expected, some were something of a disaster, some were okay, and a small handful were very good. My pick of the bunch would be: "Whispering Willows" by Patty Jansen, but I also liked "The Song Her Heart Sang: A Story of Thera" by Steven Savile and "Pickaxe" by Rhett C. Bruno. The good stories rescue this to a 3/5 for the collection.

Looking for something a bit more bright and cheerful I read five books in a series: The Not So Secret Emails of Coco Pinchard & Coco Pinchard’s Big Fat Tipsy Wedding & Coco Pinchard, The Consequences of Love and Sex & A Very Coco Christmas (short story) & Coco Pinchard’s Must-Have Toy Story (short story) by Robert Bryndza. Bryndza is perhaps better known for his murder mysteries (I haven't tried those yet, though my wife says they are very good). These Coco Pinchard stories are generally classified as romantic comedies, but I'd be more inclined to simply classify them as contemporary comedies. They are all good fun and quite compulsive in the strange way - not, I hope, for the prurient interest in reading someone else's emails, but because the author has put the stories together very well. Great characters, lots of laughs - or at least lots of smiles. 4/5 the lot of them.

And mood swinging the other way, I headed to the end of the world with the trilogy: The Last Policeman & Countdown City & World of Trouble by Ben H. Winters. Excellent. Somewhat surprising because I thought the end of the world would be more of a thriller ride, each was a surprisingly gentle mystery (with occasional sparks of violence) set against the background of impending doom. And I thought it really worked well. The mysteries twisted around quite well, not necessarily surprising, but well done. The large cast of characters were diverse and well drawn. The slow but accelerating decline of civilisation was convincing and felt quite real. 4/5 for all - perhaps 4.5/5 for the last one, I thought it was particularly well handled.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #28719
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
F

And mood swinging the other way, I headed to the end of the world with the trilogy: The Last Policeman & Countdown City & World of Trouble by Ben H. Winters. Excellent. Somewhat surprising because I thought the end of the world would be more of a thriller ride, each was a surprisingly gentle mystery (with occasional sparks of violence) set against the background of impending doom. And I thought it really worked well. The mysteries twisted around quite well, not necessarily surprising, but well done. The large cast of characters were diverse and well drawn. The slow but accelerating decline of civilisation was convincing and felt quite real. 4/5 for all - perhaps 4.5/5 for the last one, I thought it was particularly well handled.
I read The Last Policeman some years ago and it often crosses my mind.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #28720
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finally finished Old Bones by Preston & Child. While it was nice to see Nora take the lead, I thought there was a lot of time/pages before exciting things begin to occur. I guess that's archaeology, a lot of painstaking work before interesting items are revealed. Writing was solid but the story wasn't as riveting as their earlier books. Rated C [3 stars].

Next TBD.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #28721
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Well I meant to start The Way of Kings but somehow I started The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. No worries though, Way of Kings is definitely next!
I hope it is. I myself am falling in love with my chunkster book, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #28722
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading the second of three book The Complete Hammer's Slammers. I finished Volume 1 and will also read Volume 3. I think David Drake writes the best Military Science Fiction. He captures combat and the aftermath better than anyone else. Mostly because he has been on the sharp end of the stick. I wouldn't mind it at all if he wrote some more books or short stories about The Slammers.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:17 AM   #28723
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: All the Plagues of Hell by Eric Flint and David Freer.
Which was an enjoyable continuation of the story.

Now reading: Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell. The 6th in his Last Kingdom series.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #28724
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Now reading: Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell. The 6th in his Last Kingdom series.
Which covers the death of Alfred the Great and the aftermath. Very good indeed.

And now straight onto the 7th in this series, The Pagan Lord.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #28725
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Which covers the death of Alfred the Great and the aftermath. Very good indeed.

And now straight onto the 7th in this series, The Pagan Lord.
The Pagan Lord was also excellent. I'll leave the rest of the series for a bit now.

Next up I read The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer. Which I bought way back in August 2012. A most enjoyable romantic drama.

And now I'm reading Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2019 edition.