Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are Roger Zelazny's Amber eBooks at Amazon legit?

Are the Zelazny Amber books legit at Amazon? The are published by Amber Ltd. and I cannot find any sign of Amber Ltd as a publisher of these book other then Amazon.

The book Courts of Chaos shows two covers when you do a look inside. This is not how a legitimate publisher would publish their eBooks especially such classics.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Courts-Chao.../dp/B077DDJTFL

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2020 at 06:00 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are the Zelazny Amber books legit at Amazon? The are published by Amber Ltd. and I cannot find any sign of Amber Ltd as a publisher of these book other then Amazon.
Almost certainly.
If you search for Zelazny rather than just the Amber books, the tag says Amber, ltd on most of the others, too. I'll probably pick up the Amber Anthology myself. It's a typical posthumous release so it's almost certainly legit.
They're not tradpub, though.
Most likely it's the estate doing the publishing through their US Agent.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-03-2020 at 06:14 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It's absolutely legit. Amber Ltd is the company that the Zelazny estate uses to publish it's eBooks. I've been tracking the various Zelazny eBooks as they come out. It's in the backlist thread in the recommendations forum.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, whoever is behind Amber Ltd is doing a poor job. They do not have enough of a presence to show that these are legit.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, whoever is behind Amber Ltd is doing a poor job. They do not have enough of a presence to show that these are legit.
Hard to have much of a presence when it only exists to publish *his* books.

It's not a traditional publisher. Most likely it is a shell LLC established for the estate by their agent to indie publish his ebooks since his contracts predate the tech, which means the estate owns the digital rights, not the pbook publisher. Audio, too. But those tend to be licensed most oftenly.

If the TV series ever materializes there will be enough visibility to do the job.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-04-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Advert
Old 01-04-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a company that was set up purely for this purpose, so it has no other presence. A number of indies have their own personal company set up for that purpose. That way it's easier to release the book in multiple ebook stores (Amazon, Apple, Kobo).
Old 01-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Was there ever an ebook version from Orion Publishing Co. [UK.] of the Fantasy Masterwork Series?

And if not, why not?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Was there ever an ebook version from Orion Publishing Co. [UK.] of the Fantasy Masterwork Series?

And if not, why not?
I would guess not. The original series was published from 2000-2007, i.e. before eBooks were a major thing. Quite a few of the books in the list are available in eBook format. Like most such things, it all comes down to who has the eBook rights to a particular work and what the contract said.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Thanks.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ Thanks.
Frankly, I would love it if it was available, just like I would love it if the old Ballantine Adult Fantasy series was available. There are a number of books from that series that I would love to have as eBooks but just aren't available, specifically Munn's Merlin's Godson and Merlin's Ring. I do have both in paperback. There are so many orphaned works that are in danger of being lost.

Just one of the examples of the contract issues is the Erlic series by Moorcock. As far as I can tell, the Erlic books keep getting rearranged and republished by Moorcock on a regular basis. The only eBook versions currently available in the US kindle store are the graphic novel versions. Fortunately, I actually bought all the Erlic eBooks (non graphic novels) before Moorcock pulled them, so I have them, but the stories are not collected in the same order as the original DAW book series that was published back in the 70's. I do have the original DAW paperback books.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Gateway has the rights to Elric in the UK. You can always go to Kobo and take a trip to the UK to get them in ePub.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Gateway has the rights to Elric in the UK. You can always go to Kobo and take a trip to the UK to get them in ePub.
True, but we were discussing why there isn't an ebook version of republished series of fantasy masterworks. I suppose one could create a list with links to the various eBook stores for those works that do have eBooks available, but keeping the links up to date would be a pretty thankless task.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Frankly, I would love it if it was available, just like I would love it if the old Ballantine Adult Fantasy series was available. There are a number of books from that series that I would love to have as eBooks but just aren't available, specifically Munn's Merlin's Godson and Merlin's Ring. I do have both in paperback. There are so many orphaned works that are in danger of being lost.

Just one of the examples of the contract issues is the Erlic series by Moorcock. As far as I can tell, the Erlic books keep getting rearranged and republished by Moorcock on a regular basis. The only eBook versions currently available in the US kindle store are the graphic novel versions. Fortunately, I actually bought all the Erlic eBooks (non graphic novels) before Moorcock pulled them, so I have them, but the stories are not collected in the same order as the original DAW book series that was published back in the 70's. I do have the original DAW paperback books.

I completely agree with you.

I have an almost complete set of the original Adult Fantasy Series and I would love to see uniform ebook editions of the complete run. Since that's not possible, I've used calibre to place those original covers onto what I do have as ebooks. (I sometimes use those wonderful old pulp covers from Fantastic Novels and Famous Fantastic Mysteries as covers.)

Here's the original Lancer covers for the Elric paperbacks I own, which pre-date the DAW books:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stormbringer.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	176193   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Stealer of Souls.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	176194  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #14
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
What I would very much love to get is electronic editions of NESFA Press' Zelazny Project books.

https://data.nesfa.org/press/Books/Zelazny-Project.html
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
What I would very much love to get is electronic editions of NESFA Press' Zelazny Project books.

https://data.nesfa.org/press/Books/Zelazny-Project.html
They have an email site for customer suggestions.
Maybe a campaign to inform them?