Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Photos of how .Lit looks on a Pocket Pro, please

I have a lot of .Lit files that I would love to dump onto an SD card.

Conversion using calibre doesn't always give the best results, and conversion can take a loooong time.

I realize the .Lit aspect of the Pocket Pro firmware is not "quite there yet," but I would still like to see some results - both the good and the bad, please.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Conversion using calibre doesn't always give the best results, and conversion can take a loooong time.

I realize the .Lit aspect of the Pocket Pro firmware is not "quite there yet," but I would still like to see some results - both the good and the bad, please.

Thanks,
Don
Oh dear. Yew are in for a disappointment.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's really that bad?

Is it at least readable?

Don
Old 09-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
It's really that bad?

Is it at least readable?

Don
Depends on your definition of "readable" I suppose. When someone posts a pic, yew will understand what I mean.

My own opinion is NO, it is NOT readable.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

Thanks,
Don
What are you planning to read it on?

DUH. I just noticed what forum this thread is in.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I didn't think to take pics before I returned mine. I only tried two lits on it, but both had the same problems. Page turns were very slow and most of the words had spaces in weird places, plus it ignored chapter breaks. I also couldn't use the TOC (it might work and I just didn't figure it out).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I didn't think to take pics before I returned mine. I only tried two lits on it, but both had the same problems. Page turns were very slow and most of the words had spaces in weird places, plus it ignored chapter breaks. I also couldn't use the TOC (it might work and I just didn't figure it out).
The poor fella! All he wants is a pic and here we are making written comments that really don't help him at all.

Anyone got a camera?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Smile Photos

Dr Drib,

I have always found your moderation fair and polite. Thank you for that.

Though I have never delt with .lit files, I researched and found some that were DRM free. I downloaded one and pulled it up on my PEZ.

There was one zoom, the original vertical which was readable, though tiny, and one horizontal, larger text. The bookmarks did work, the catalog did work, I don't know about hyperlinks as the books I downloaded was fiction.

The blurriness of my pictures is purely due to my camera not focusing on close objects. I took them as high of resolution as I could so I can scale down to the required size and still show details.

The zoom, horizontal, did maintain the centering and indentation, which is lost on PDFs, and possibly other formats.

I hope these pictures answer some questions for you.

I am very happy with my PEZ, though it is the only device I have used. There are areas to be improved, and I'm confident that between Astak and Jinke, they will address them.

Enjoy,
AJ

PS I just noticed on the attachement instructions, I could have higher resolutions, if you would like I could recopy either of these shots in the higher resolution. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287a.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	36582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2289a.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	36583  
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
@ AJ Starr

okay, this is off topic.. But does your nick has something to do with Ace Attorney?
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaNaru View Post
@ AJ Starr

okay, this is off topic.. But does your nick has something to do with Ace Attorney?
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what your statment means. What is "nick" and what is "Ace Attorney" ???

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what your statment means. What is "nick" and what is "Ace Attorney" ???

AJ
Guess the answer is "no!"

Nick = short for "nickname" or, in this case, your screen name of AJ Starr

Ace Attorney = I'm assuming this refers to the "Ace Attorney" series of videogames on the Nintendo DS. I believe there was a character in one of them whose name was Angel Starr.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
@Morlac

You are totally right!! I love that game!
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
At first I thought they were referring to a newspaper comic soap opera...until I remembered that the character/comic was called Brenda Starr
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Dr Drib,

I have always found your moderation fair and polite. Thank you for that.

Though I have never delt with .lit files, I researched and found some that were DRM free. I downloaded one and pulled it up on my PEZ.

There was one zoom, the original vertical which was readable, though tiny, and one horizontal, larger text. The bookmarks did work, the catalog did work, I don't know about hyperlinks as the books I downloaded was fiction.

The blurriness of my pictures is purely due to my camera not focusing on close objects. I took them as high of resolution as I could so I can scale down to the required size and still show details.

The zoom, horizontal, did maintain the centering and indentation, which is lost on PDFs, and possibly other formats.

I hope these pictures answer some questions for you.

I am very happy with my PEZ, though it is the only device I have used. There are areas to be improved, and I'm confident that between Astak and Jinke, they will address them.

Enjoy,
AJ

PS I just noticed on the attachement instructions, I could have higher resolutions, if you would like I could recopy either of these shots in the higher resolution. Let me know.

Thank you for the kind words about my moderation.

Also, thank you for the photos. To me, the interpretation of .Lit files looks fine. I can live (for now) without the use of Chapter links, if that's one of the shortcomings, one that will be hopefully addressed in firmware updates.

However, I don't think I can live with every two paragaphs (for example) having split sentences and split words.

I read almost exclusively fiction, so any problems would appear to be minimized, at least in the examples you've provided.

Again, thank you for these photos.

I may just go ahead and order the white unit - before the end of the month, if I want to take advantage of the savings. (I wonder how long it would take to arrive in Peru?)

Don
Old 09-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can someone please take some photos of MS Reader format on the PP showing the problems? And please use a 100% legit MS Reader file this time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote