Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #28921
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So, inquiring minds want to know -- is she still killing at least one car per book? (I won't even bother to ask about her circular relationships -- I'm sure those will never be resolved. )
Probably. I haven't read one in a few years. It could be the thing to get my reading mojo back you never know!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #28922
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Reign of the Brown Magician by Lawrence Watt-Evans. The third in his Worlds of Shadow trilogy. I read the second book a short while ago, and I'd like to finish the trilogy while that's fresh in my mind.
And it was good, but the ending wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Rather disappointing, in fact. 4/5

Next up: Death in a Desert Land by Andrew Wilson. The third in his series of mystery stories with Agatha Christie as the hero. The stories are set in those times in the author's life where her activities are not well documented. Most enjoyable so far. A very recent purchase.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #28923
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
My review of Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu:-

Spoiler:
I was dreading the metaphors here, like I do with all YA books. It was a nice surprise to read only two lines guilty of this sin... I only remember one of them. Mentions pain in Day's leg like being in a bottomless lake.

June and Day are precocious soulmates, who are also at different ends of the social ladder. That ladder plays a role in this narration. This is after all, a dystopian future. I liked the June/Day interaction quite some. But if I had to describe the entire tone of the book, I wouldn't say 'romantic'. I'd say, 'solemn'.

The writer wrote this book knowing, perhaps, that it would place her firmly in the YA radar, a celebrity and a success. She fully deserves the latter. Reading a YA book after so many years felt like reaching home after a long day outside. But yeah, this book was neither grim nor stark, neither playful nor deathly. It was ritualistic and solemn for which is the only reason I gave it 4 stars.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:33 AM   #28924
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Death in a Desert Land by Andrew Wilson. The third in his series of mystery stories with Agatha Christie as the hero. The stories are set in those times in the author's life where her activities are not well documented. Most enjoyable so far. A very recent purchase.
And it was splendid. A good mystery slipped into Agatha Christie's life. 5/5

Next up:

Saint Odd by Dean Koontz. The seventh and last of the main novels in his Odd Thomas series. I bought these less than four years ago, so quite a recent purchase for me!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #28925
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My review of The Selection (The Selection, #1), by Kiera Cass:-

Spoiler:
I reckon the haters might have a point, but this book won me over. At the time of writing, I only know that this book was very good and that there are sequels. I don't know how many or whether this series has been brought to a conclusion.

The story flows very much like a Chaplinesque film such as the Great Dictator. When two of the love triangle are talking, the decor, the surroundings, the palace, the tree house all of these melt away. There is a lot of symbolism involved. E.g. the clumsy name of Maxon that preempts the strange character of the Prince. There's the assignment of 3 maids to each selected. So many more. The ear tug... was a nice touch.

I'm slowly being won over by the YA genre, a concept that I had ditched in favor of the cozy genre. What I prefer most about the genre is that it sits slightly above the beach read label. That's what a bestselling book like Crazy Rich Asians lacks. The Selection doesn't try to please everyone. That's the key in art.

Last edited by Luffy; 06-07-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #28926
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Saint Odd by Dean Koontz. The seventh and last of the main novels in his Odd Thomas series. I bought these less than four years ago, so quite a recent purchase for me!
Which was splendid. A fitting conclusion. But I find that quite possibly the reading order guides were wrong, and that this was actually the eigth book, and I should have slotted the "Odd Interlude" shorter novel in before now. Never mind.

Next up: In the Midnight Hour by Patty O'Shea. A Tor freebie I picked up way back in 2008.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:53 AM   #28927
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: In the Midnight Hour by Patty O'Shea. A Tor freebie I picked up way back in 2008.
A Paranormal Explicit Romance. Not my usual fare, but good of its kind. 4/5

I've started to use calibre's Random Book function to choose my next read from my TBR. Which explains the previous selection, and this one:

Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. This is from the Delphi Classics complete RLS bundle that I bought back in 2015. As part of the bundle, it cost me £0.02.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:26 AM   #28928
Luffy
Wizard

My review of On the Fence, by Kasie West:-

Spoiler:
I’m absolutely terrified about writing a review to this book. All I know is that the writer should never write a sequel to this book, especially one set a decade into the future. It’s a sweet love story that might mean that the protagonists in all likelihood peaked out early in life.

The words went by quickly. These emotions that are in my mind are bittersweet to me. To tell the truth, people like Braden and Charlie seem like a kaleidoscopic couple who don’t exist in my country. Do they exist in the US? Probably. Do all teens who read this book turn out kind and honest? Hell no.

That's why it’s my pet theory that people who become unromantic, jaded, bitter, mean, and cruel in life have been harmed, denied, starved of love, and conditioned. As for me, I am grateful for the air that I breathe, the lungs that do their work, the blood cells that carry the oxygen and allow me to live. You have two lives in this world, and the second one begins when you realize you have only one life.

Last edited by Luffy; 06-10-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #28929
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Upcoming TBR courtesy of Flyleaf Books:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book Order.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	179822  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #28930
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Onyx
The Terror by Dan Simmons. A tome at over 1000 pages. But he keeps it gripping till the end.

Most of way through Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident. Gripping and inexplicable true story.

Also reading Clarke's Sands of Mars, Twilight by William Gay (lyrical southern noir gothic) and Bradbury short stories. All excellent in their own way.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 06-10-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #28931
Luffy
Wizard

My review of Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3), by Kasie West:-

Spoiler:
Reading this one reminded me of the Cazalet chronicles, because of its hypnotic addictive quality. The chapters were bite sized, the prose and the ideas behind them were simple, logical, pertinent, and efficient. What's not to like?

I never thought I would discover something so freshly compatible on the YA scene. I had been reading books by Patricia Briggs, where the romance was not graphic, but the stalling was dull as dishwater. I also read books by Kim Harrison and Darynda Jones. Too much supernatural fawning and seduction.

Books like this, especially if they happen to be written by Kasie West, fall in a snuggly Goldilocks zone. The only fly in the ointment was a worrying tendency to be formulaic, and that I noticed after just two books. Hopefully the best is ahead. I'm still having visions of the characters interacting. This was a great read indeed.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #28932
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
My reading is all over the place. I just finished Maerlin's Storm by Nav Logan, which I enjoyed, and found a lot of non-fiction at the top of my tbr. I need to read something fiction as well! So, giving Sarah Maas a try. Not usually my sort of thing but I keep an open mind.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #28933
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently re-reading Passing Strange by Ellen Klages for this month's discussion in the New Leaf Book Club. I read this earlier this year, and very much enjoyed it, but am now re-reading it to be ready for the discussion, which starts Monday. Do feel free to join us!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #28934
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
So, since my last post, I've been continuing my re-read of Terry Pratchett, finishing Pyramids, Guards! Guards! and Eric. Great fun as always.

I also read the first two books of a trilogy for middle-grade readers: Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow and Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend. These books are good fun, albeit with not a lot of depth there for adult readers. I've seen comparisons to Harry Potter, and while I can see influences from various sources, these books are not imitations, the world and setting are very much their own and very well presented. They lack the sophistication or depth that I found in Harry Potter (so far at least), but they are still a fun read and I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Also A Grain of Salt by Dr Joe Schwarcz. This is a (non-fiction, obviously) collection of articles about the science of food and heath (talking real science here). There are many small, self-contained articles which made this easy to read in small doses, which helps to let you take it in. It was all very interesting and well presented.

Also The Girl, the Dog and the Writer in Rome by Katrina Nannestad, illustrated by Cheryl Orsini. Another middle-grade book, the first of a series. I had to remind myself that this was a kids' book, so the irresponsible treatment of the dog (never mind the child) was something to not take to heart, and with that concern tucked away this was an amusing and pleasant read; sweet, almost too sweet with some very touching moments. It seems a little aimless until about two thirds through you realise a mystery (besides the obvious one) has been developing, which gives the story its final climax. I did enjoy it, but I have not yet decided whether I want more of the series.

And I just finished a re-read of Passing Strange by Ellen Klages, ready for the book club discussion. I enjoyed it even more this second time around.

After those middle-grade books I am wondering if I should grow-up a bit ... not too much, maybe try some YA.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #28935
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I also read the first two books of a trilogy for middle-grade readers: Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow and Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend. These books are good fun, albeit with not a lot of depth there for adult readers. I've seen comparisons to Harry Potter, and while I can see influences from various sources, these books are not imitations, the world and setting are very much their own and very well presented. They lack the sophistication or depth that I found in Harry Potter (so far at least), but they are still a fun read and I'm looking forward to the next instalment.
Interesting. I've got a couple of those sitting in my TBR, but haven't gotten around to them yet.

Quote:
Also A Grain of Salt by Dr Joe Schwarcz. This is a (non-fiction, obviously) collection of articles about the science of food and heath (talking real science here). There are many small, self-contained articles which made this easy to read in small doses, which helps to let you take it in. It was all very interesting and well presented.
Now this sounds interesting. I've recommended it to my library. We'll see if they get a copy.

Quote:
And I just finished a re-read of Passing Strange by Ellen Klages, ready for the book club discussion. I enjoyed it even more this second time around.
I think this is going to be an interesting discussion, given that I know at least one of our members had some significant concerns. Like you, however, I enjoyed it even more the second time around. But we'll leave all that to the discussion.

I've started reading the 6th Boundary book from Ryk E. Spoor and Eric Flint - Castaway Resolution. I'm disappointed that there isn't an audio version, but that seems to be happening a lot right now. Audio books are not happening at all, or are significantly delayed. Yet another consequence of our current pandemic.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote