Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #61
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Long Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
< snip! >
I get a little put off sometimes with books that's over 800+ or so pages long!
Interesting that you commented on that. Personally, I enjoy a long book. Probably why I enjoy James Mitchner so much along with Stephen King.

Regards,
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #62
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
Sounds different, and interesting, downloading the sample now.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #63
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Interesting that you commented on that. Personally, I enjoy a long book. Probably why I enjoy James Mitchner so much along with Stephen King.

Regards,
Maybe The Stand is one of those books that you can 'get lost' in and before you know it, you're half way through?!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #64
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Post I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Maybe The Stand is one of those books that you can 'get lost' in and before you know it, you're half way through?!
I certainly would agree with your point. The storyline of "The Stand" is so intriguing; so visceral; so compelling (should I go on...?) that you can't help but get drawn deeply into its story.

Regards,
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #65
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oddly, I read the sample for Spin, enjoyed it, tried to order it, and found out that I'd already picked it up as a freebie on 6/26/08. Apparently it's been witting there in my archived items list for two and a half years, that, or I read it and completely forgot about it.

Last edited by carld; 01-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #66
crimsonshadow
crimsonshadow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newer Author

If you want to give a book from a new author a try, there's 7 Scorpions: Rebellion. Pretty fast paced with some interesting characters.
crimsonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #67
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonshadow View Post
If you want to give a book from a new author a try, there's 7 Scorpions: Rebellion. Pretty fast paced with some interesting characters.

Are you the author of this book?

If so, then you must post that you are the author; otherwise, this will considered spamming. Additionally, this thread is for readers to recommend books other than their own and is an inappropriate place to promote one's book(s).

A link to our Posting Guidelines is located at the top of every page.

If you are not the author, a link to the book would be most helpful.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-21-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #68
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
I just finished a good one: Without Warning by John Birmingham. I suppose you could also classify it as alt-history. Basic plot summary:

On the eve of the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, an energy wave of unknown origin descends over most of the North American continent, killing the entire population within the area and anyone who crosses its boundaries. In short order, other governments and economies collapse, and the world is plunged into chaos.

There's also a sequel called After America.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #69
fum
Zealot
fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWII
And a third called 'Angels of Vengeance'
fum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #70
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
I love earth based SciFi and Post Apocalyptic books and will be ready to start a new one soon.

Generally realistic(ish) style ones...but not ... way to weird.
Rather than Stirling, I'd suggest the books which that series was modeled on, _Ariel_ and the more recent sequel _Elegy Beach_, though this sort of magicopocalypse may not meet your criteria.

If you do like this, there's a lot of urban fantasy along these lines, esp. Svaha, and the ``Borderlands'' series ( http://www.endicott-studio.com/borderland.html )

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know this thread is old, but I'm going to put in my recommendation for Wool Omnibus. Very well worth the read. Plus there is a 6th book with a 7th to be written.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #72
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know this thread is old, but I'm going to put in my recommendation for Wool Omnibus. Very well worth the read. Plus there is a 6th book with a 7th to be written.
You beat me to it Jon. I just saw this thread resurrected and thought Wool needed mentioning.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #73
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I liked the Passage by Justin Cronin. It's sequel the 12 is coming in soon. Its up for preorder on amazon.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #74
Floodlit World
Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, been mentioned before, very good stuff.
Floodlit World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #75
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
The first is about an alien invasion and the aliens have a herd instinct. The second is a bout a comet's impact with the Earth.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote