Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #2866
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
In USA, "retail store" is still not equal to "brick and mortar (physical) store".
I wrote "retail store" just in contrast with "Amazon direct".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #2867
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
Well, I wasn't thinking about local retailers (which here in Good Ol' Germany sell lots of Kindles, as buying things the old fashioned way in local stores/malls is still more popular than ordering online and then waiting days long for the parcel service, who is most often coming just when there is nobody at home, and then you have to go to the post office - may be miles away... - the next day to finally get your parcel... ).

I know that Amazon "personalizes" Kindles sold directly by them. Just these will likely get the additonal language as part of this procedure. This of course requires to physically touch the Kindle anyway, can't be done when already in the box. It will also possibly get the latest firmware, and the "direct Amazon" customer is out of luck regarding jb then...

Local retailers - or Kindles bought as presents via Amazon - have the jb'able OEM firmware. Possibly, Amazon will change the updating procedure in the future: They then may check the user's language setting first, then sending in a first step the appropriate VoiceView FB02 file, let this install, and in a next step send the latest user firmware right afterwards, to finally lock the jailbreakability down. That could be why the auto-update procedure in latest firmwares got more and more aggressive - only freaks reading MobileRead Forum would know that keeping a device, bought in a "free" store, in airplane mode right out of the box gives the owner a real chance to jailbreaking it...
Retail stores just means any store that is not Amazon. Examples would be Walmart, Best Buy, Target... all of those you can either go to the store or order online.
Come to think of it, most stores in the US also have an online presence.

Some stores here have order online, pickup in the store.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #2868
imbakes
imbakes began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Interesting, since 5.8.11 has already been posted by Amazon.

Maybe it is something country or region specific.

or maybe they are "fixing" the problem with the VoiceView image.
Have your person try to install the VoiceView package:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580

Note:
That image is an "install by restarting" type of Amazon package, not an UYK type of package.

Why?
Because if that installs, then that firmware can be jail broken by this jail break.
Since the VV image and the "Factory" images use the same package type.

Note:
If that person does not want the large VV files on their PW3 - then a "Reset (to factory defaults)" will wipe them out.
That is: Do that if they are not wanted as part of getting ready to JB the device.
I just picked up a 5.8.10.1; am eager to jailbreak and competent in a linux terminal. New to kindle jbreaks, seems to be a relatively short learning curve. Is there anything worth trying before I go ahead an solder some wires and follow this tut:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=263113
?
imbakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #2869
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Serial port is your only choice.
And you might as well let it update to 5.9.2 since you have to use the serial port anyway.
Also if you follow the links in that thread you will find three or four ways to connect to the port without hot solder.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 AM   #2870
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Hi:
I have a PW3 G090G1
I downgraded from 5.8.10 got the jailbreak all setup and then decided to ota as it said i could and i wanted to use wifi to use koreader to sync with calibre. It put me on 5.9.2 but kaul wont load anymore it says application error now. Am I boned, and messed up the ota some how?

Thanks for your time.

Malcolm

EDIT: NVMI found this post by you and it showed me the ;log mrpi command to install kaul the old way and get it back thank you for your time.

Quote:
Not possible the way you have described it.
Because the ";log mrpi" search bar command is one of ours, not one of Amazon's search bar commands.
That search bar can not exist until AFTER the device has been jail broken because it requires the device to be jail broken to be created.

What you describe will only work if the device had been jail broken prior to the update to 5.9.2
You might have THOUGHT you had lost your jail break with the update, but you where wrong, it did survive.

Last edited by rvcjew; 11-26-2017 at 01:02 AM.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #2871
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Hi:
I have a PW3 G090G1
I downgraded from 5.8.10 got the jailbreak all setup and then decided to ota as it said i could and i wanted to use wifi to use koreader to sync with calibre. It put me on 5.9.2 but kaul wont load anymore it says application error now. Am I boned, and messed up the ota some how?

Thanks for your time.

Malcolm

EDIT: NVMI found this post by you and it showed me the ;log mrpi command to install kaul the old way and get it back thank you for your time.
Did you have the OTA blocking directory name in-place when it updated?

The way your post reads, it sounds like you skipped parts of the directions.
Or you where following directions from some other site rather than these.

Last edited by knc1; 11-26-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #2872
Export
Export began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Will this jail break work on my current firmware?
If the third field of your firmware version number: 5.8.7.0.1 is larger than 7 this jail break will not work on your device.
That means it will not work on: 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.10, ..., 5.8.99999999.
Please do not even think of asking if this message still means what is written. The message is kept current.
You may want to Update this text. As halentech stated in this Thread, a downgrade from 5.8.10 to 5.7.4 is possible (at least in some cases).

The same approach worked for me too (new Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2015) WiFi, G090KB, 5.8.10).

What i did withy my new kindle:
1. skipped wlan connection
2. created "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder via usb
3. backuped my folders
4. connected to amazon once
5. downgraded to 5.7.4
6. stuck in Tree Screen - connected usb, cmd diskpart, kindle starts
7. flashed Kindle Factory Image Generic Jailbreak - main-html
8. flashed jailbreak hotfix - JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip
9. flashed newest update https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...hite_5.9.2.bin

10. keep asking me what to flash, since the main reason to buy and jailbreak - WebLaunch - doesn´t works anymore
Export is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #2873
knc1
Going Viral

Do I do not want to change.
Not based on a message that does not bother to mention what model Kindle (there are at least 80 models) nor what firmware version they found was susceptible.
It is just forum noise without specific details.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #2874
Export
Export began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
As stated in my previous post:
Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2015) WiFi, G090KB, 5.8.10

see the screenshots for the particular fw versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	282
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	160245   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	226
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	160246   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	202
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	160247   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	194
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	160248  
Export is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #2875
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Export View Post
As stated in my previous post:
Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2015) WiFi, G090KB, 5.8.10

see the screenshots for the particular fw versions.
You failed to mention it was a German Kindle.
If you have been following this site, you would have known.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #2876
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
In USA, "retail store" is still not equal to "brick and mortar (physical) store".
I wrote "retail store" just in contrast with "Amazon direct".
That's what I've meant too. And yes, most of these stores also have online presences where you even may let the articles deliver to the local shop (which often is much more convenient than waiting for the postman to come some time between 7 am to 8 pm ...). Okay, this definitely is a a regional speciality that many customers here in Germany prefer buying "cash and carry". Has often something to do with privacy, you understand...

To put it in a nutshell: I've jailbroken about 10 different Kindle devices (from NT4 to KOA1) up to now (mine, and these of good friends and colleagues), and only three of them have ever been registered with Amazon. Regarding the remainig 7, Amozon even doesn't know that the respective serial numbers are actively used (as mentioned: as pure offline readers for books from other sources). And the nasty Data Hydra named Amazon also does by no way know, who owns these devices now. For them, their trace finally ends here: "This device was sold directly via Market XYZ in Germany after month/year. Obviously has never been activated. Probably broken, lost or stolen."
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #2877
knc1
Going Viral

@Antinoos: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...87&postcount=3
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #2878
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks for the tip - could indeed be most helpful for two friends of mine. Especially those with the PW3 and KOA1 which already run fw 5.9.x as latest version.

I've definitely decided never ever to update neither my "everyday burner" KT3 nor the "winter time, when reading in the dark sometimes is required" PW3 to a fw > 5.8.11. Just because as the 5.9.x firmwares disable the ability to use booklets to launch apps directly instead of crabwise via KUAL. Nothing is missing from my point of view, even though my Kindles simply show "My Kindle" as "registered" name. What additional useful menu entries or other features I would get doing the fake reg procedure with 5.8.11?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #2879
knc1
Going Viral

It varies with the firmware version / Kindle model combination.

And you may have noticed -
People are beginning to report differences in the firmware behavior of devices sold in Germany.

If you don't like what difference the file makes, you can always delete.
In my country, with my PW3, running 5.9.2 from Amazon.com, the file does not exist until registered with Amazon.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #2880
Antinoos
Groupie

Thumbs up

Hi knc1,

having it just tested, found out the differences in the menus by myself. Thanks for the great tip.

Has something to do with the fact that I've never ever been using a "really registered" Kindle since 2011 (when fiddling around with my first K4NT grey, just to recognize that I don't like Amazon's bookstore at all...). Most interesting feature is indeed to bypass the first start page and boot directly to the list of books/tools on the device. As Spock would say now: "Fascinating!"