Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #61
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@Purple Lady. It is, like many things, a matter of personal taste. My choice is Ivona Nicole (Australian accent). When I first used it I had not tried tts for some years, and was vary pleasantly surprised. It had gone, in my opinion, from only marginally useable for listening to a book, to being both useable and comfortable. I can't say that I've shopped around widely for different voices, but of the ones I have heard this is my preference.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #62
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I tried Ivona and thought all the voices sounded very robotic. Which voices do those who like Ivona use? Do the voices sound better on some books than others? The sample text on the Ivona website sounds terrible to me.
Several of us in this thread like UK Amy. As for books, those whose writers add accents to their characters or made up words like with fantasy books can be difficult to understand and for TTS to read.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #63
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@Purple Lady. It is, like many things, a matter of personal taste. My choice is Ivona Nicole (Australian accent). When I first used it I had not tried tts for some years, and was vary pleasantly surprised. It had gone, in my opinion, from only marginally useable for listening to a book, to being both useable and comfortable. I can't say that I've shopped around widely for different voices, but of the ones I have heard this is my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Several of us in this thread like UK Amy. As for books, those whose writers add accents to their characters or made up words like with fantasy books can be difficult to understand and for TTS to read.
I guess the particular voice doesn't matter for me. If you go to
https://www.ivona.com/ and listen to the different voices they all sound very robotic to me. Maybe it's just the text that is read? There are pauses and inflections that don't sound right. Here's the text they have on the site:
Quote:
Hello there, my name is Amy. I am one of the IVONA voices. I will read anything you want. Enter any text here and click Play.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #64
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Great on My K5

I never used audiobooks before, but I also only watched TV while I knitted. I was really into a book, and wanted to knit, too, so I tried TTS. It worked great! When there was a word that wasn't right, I just looked on the K5 right next to me, and knitted along! There is not enough good TV to fill up the time I want to knit. Of course, baseball season is starting soon!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #65
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I guess the particular voice doesn't matter for me. If you go to
https://www.ivona.com/ and listen to the different voices they all sound very robotic to me. Maybe it's just the text that is read? There are pauses and inflections that don't sound right. Here's the text they have on the site:
Actually it sounded pretty good to me. I'm guessing how good it sounds depends in part upon the computer hardware you are playing it on. Probably on my older laptop it would sound choppy and slower than on my newer one. In a proper app reading an ebook it should sound better. Using Google Play books on a newer tablet Ivona sounds good, even a bit fast to my ears. Using Moon+ Reader it sounds quite good, same on an Amazon tablet. You need more than a paragraph or two to make up your mind about it. I get used to it as I listen to the book and forget it is TTS after awhile.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #66
Conan46
Fanatic

Google Now's Voice improving
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11...smoother-sound
Old 03-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #67
Conan46
Fanatic

It is fascinating how much goes into creating TTS:
http://www.androidcentral.com/check-...ce-was-created
It also gives me hope that in the not-too-distant-future TTS will be so natural no one will be able to tell the difference between it and a natural voice.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #68
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Very cool. Will they make this available as a stand alone TTS package? Looks like for now it is custom made for Siri-type interaction.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #69
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Very cool. Will they make this available as a stand alone TTS package? Looks like for now it is custom made for Siri-type interaction.
That's a good question. Google Now works with an online connection. I have seen the option in the past on Google Books to allow for online connection to get a better sounding voice. Not sure how integrated Google Books TTS is to this, but it would make sense that they would integrate it into Books.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #70
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I recently got the new $50 Fire tablet. My 9 year old daughter has a Kindle Touch. As an experiment, I had her listen to the TTS on both the KT and the Fire. She made a face at the Fire's TTS. It's not that the Fire's TTS is bad, it's just that she's so used to the KT's voice that it's like an old friend.

She actually likes the KT's TTS better than audiobooks (although not as much as me reading to her). My wife can't stand TTS, and I like it, but not as much as my daughter does. It really does take some training to get used to it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #71
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I recently got the new $50 Fire tablet. My 9 year old daughter has a Kindle Touch. As an experiment, I had her listen to the TTS on both the KT and the Fire. She made a face at the Fire's TTS. It's not that the Fire's TTS is bad, it's just that she's so used to the KT's voice that it's like an old friend.

She actually likes the KT's TTS better than audiobooks (although not as much as me reading to her). My wife can't stand TTS, and I like it, but not as much as my daughter does. It really does take some training to get used to it.
Fire has several voices you can download for English.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #72
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
For those of you who use iOS and the Kindle app, here's a way I figured out to get the app to read to you:

1. From your Home screen, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Speech

2. Enable "Speak screen". This will let you activate TTS by swiping two fingers from the top to the bottom of the screen.

3. Make sure you have chosen a voice. The higher quality voices may need to be downloaded.

4. When you are reading your Kindle app, swipe the screen as described above. iOS's native TTS should begin reading, and a pop-up control panel should also appear.

Contrary to the description in the iOS Settings, TTS appears to continue reading your book from wherever you first activated it. I suspect this method would work with other e-reading apps.

Last edited by LovesMacs; 04-08-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Forgot Speech submenu
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #73
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have recently discovered that I can listen to books via text to speech. Some pronunciations are bizarre, but I can deal with it.

Somehow I was able to get FB Reader to play a male voice. I can't get Ivona to work on my 2014 LG Volt, but with the male voice working, I am happy.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #74
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have recently discovered that I can listen to books via text to speech. Some pronunciations are bizarre, but I can deal with it.

Somehow I was able to get FB Reader to play a male voice. I can't get Ivona to work on my 2014 LG Volt, but with the male voice working, I am happy.
FB Reader is what I mostly use. Ivona will not work on some hardware, I've come up against that a few times.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #75
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Text-to-speech technology has come a long way. I use the built-in voice on my Kindle Fire. Some of the pronunciations are off, but mostly it's spot on. I think it's amazing. Then again, back in the day I thought the Atari graphics were super cool.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote