Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #31
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I know yesterday when I checked the Disk Utility my Kobo was NOT there, for sure. I will try some of the other things you mentioned. This is really frustrating, because I did have it work for me at least twice and thought I had it fixed.

I only have 2 USB ports, and I regularly try both. I have tried 2 different USB cables, including the one that came with my KA1, but neither have worked. Buying a new USB cable seems pointless since the official cable is what I am using, plus, I know the cable works in other computers, just not my Mac.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #32
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Just tried again was was able to capture an error message when my computer attempted to connect to my Kobo. I had Calibre open. Finder said that my Disc was not ejected properly.

calibre, version 3.6.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

IOError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1856, in books
File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
IOError: IOError: disk I/O error
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is OSX so much of a pain?
Why are you?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #34
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Just tried again was was able to capture an error message when my computer attempted to connect to my Kobo. I had Calibre open. Finder said that my Disc was not ejected properly.

calibre, version 3.6.0

So it looks like your device occasionally connects for short periods. These errors are all calibre‘s.
Did it ever work? Or has this just recently happened to you? How about other devices? Also: Have you tried editing the filename back to just Koboreader or something without the preceding . ?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

calibre, version 3.6.0

Sorry, I'm not quite sure of what the order here was. When did Finder tell you the disc was not ejected properly? Is that referring to the last time the device was connected, or did the device get disconnected when the calibre error was displayed? Or something else.

If you can, connect without calibre running. Let Finder or whatever check and report if there are any problems with the filesystem on the device. And maybe manually copy a book over. If everything is OK, then see what happens with calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #36
bookwurm70
Addict

So, playing around with this a little bit more, I had tried to use my KA1 in my work laptop, without Calibre, and it has worked just fine. I installed Calibre, temporarily, and it crashed, just like above. After I got the Calibre error message, I got the "Disk Ejected improperly" error message from Windows. So Calibre is what is causing my Kobo not to work in the computer, I think.

I'll probably try to move down a Calibre update to one that worked, and pursue this in the Calibre forum.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #37
bookwurm70
Addict

Update: I was able to delete the "driveinfo.calibre" file on my Kobo ereader device and I am now able to see my Kobo on my Mac.

It is totally Calibre that corrupted my Kobo ereader and made it unable to be seen by the Mac.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #38
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nonsense. Calibre CANNOT corrupt the Kobo in a fashion that prevents the Mac seeing it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #39
bookwurm70
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nonsense. Calibre CANNOT corrupt the Kobo in a fashion that prevents the Mac seeing it.

And yet, somehow it is. All I know is the "driveinfo.calibre" file is updated every time my Kobo accesses my Kobo device. It is on the main directory.

When I delete that file, my Mac sees my Kobo. That is the only thing I did differently between attempts was to delete that file.

Just to clarify, it is just with Calibre 3.5.0 and 3.6.0 that I am having this problem. I rolled back to 3.4.0 and my Kobo works fine in my Mac. I no longer get an error that crashes the Kobo reader when attempting to connect to Calibre.

Last edited by bookwurm70; 08-08-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: EDT: additional information
Old 08-09-2017, 05:10 AM   #40
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I don't think it has anything to do with Calibre. I have Calibre 2.85.1 on Mac Sierra 10.12.6 and I have problems with Kobo Aura One being recognised every now and then.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #41
bookwurm70
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Calibre. I have Calibre 2.85.1 on Mac Sierra 10.12.6 and I have problems with Kobo Aura One being recognised every now and then.
I will respectfully disagree, I spent hours trying to figure this out and I stand by my statement.

How do you fix it when this happens?
Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dear bookwurm79. Please stop with this FUD.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #43
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
That’s perhaps a bit harsh... If that’s what he discovered, why not believe him.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #44
bookwurm70
Addict

Quote:

How is anything I am saying exhibiting Fear, Uncertainty or Doubt?

I asked a question because I was having a problem with my Kobo ereader. No one had a workable solution. I found a workable solution and am sharing it.

I don't appreciate people disbelieving what I found to be true. I don't know why what I tried works, I just know it does. I did it multiple times and tested on 3 different computers with 3 different operating systems, all using Calibre 3.6.0 and got the same results each time.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
How is anything I am saying exhibiting Fear, Uncertainty or Doubt?

I asked a question because I was having a problem with my Kobo ereader. No one had a workable solution. I found a workable solution and am sharing it.

I don't appreciate people disbelieving what I found to be true. I don't know why what I tried works, I just know it does. I did it multiple times and tested on 3 different computers with 3 different operating systems, all using Calibre 3.6.0 and got the same results each time.
Thank you for sharing. It's certain someone with the same issues can try. I know others will appreciate all work arounds posted.

Please report this issue to Kovid in our Calibre forum so he can look into it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 08-09-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote