Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
How do I get Sigil 0.9.8 in Xubuntu?

I've got Sigil 0.9.5 now. How do I get 0.9.8? If memory serves me, DiapDealer had a link to get Linux versions (and Xubuntu is a distro of Ubuntu) but I could not find it. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I didn't package my own version of 0.9.5, that I recall. Verson 0.9.8 was the first stand-alone Linux installer package I released. If you have v0.9.5 you must have installed it from Xubuntu's standard software repos (unless you think you compiled it yourself). Should be easy to determine.

From a terminal, let me know what the result of the following command is:

dpkg -l sigil

(that's a lower-case 'L' in case it's unclear)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I didn't package my own version of 0.9.5, that I recall. Verson 0.9.8 was the first stand-alone Linux installer package I released. If you have v0.9.5 you must have installed it from Xubuntu's standard software repos (unless you think you compiled it yourself). Should be easy to determine.

From a terminal, let me know what the result of the following command is:

dpkg -l sigil

(that's a lower-case 'L' in case it's unclear)
Thanks Diap. I just remember having a really hard time getting Sigil the first time I got it, then when I updated, I asked here and you gave me a link (and I think it was an MR link) and the installation/update went really smoothly. But whatever, I could be wrong. (Happens a lot.) Here's the terminal results:

Code:
gregory@gregory-GA-A55M-DS2:~/Desktop$ dpkg -l sigil
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                    Version                  Architecture             Description
+++-=======================================-========================-========================-===================================================================================
ii  sigil                                   0.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1      amd64                    multi-platform ebook editor
gregory@gregory-GA-A55M-DS2:~/Desktop$
Old 09-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep. That's from the standard repos. Just use (from a terminal):

Code:
sudo apt-get install sigil
to upgrade to 0.9.8.

NOTE: the "About" dialog for Sigil v0.9.8 from the standard repository will likely indicate that it's v0.9.7. But it really is v0.9.8. We just didn't have the version strings updated when v0.9.8 was tagged for release.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Yep. That's from the standard repos. Just use (from a terminal):

Code:
to upgrade to 0.9.8.

NOTE: the "About" dialog for Sigil v0.9.8 from the standard repository will likely indicate that it's v0.9.7. But it really is v0.9.8. We just didn't have the version strings updated when v0.9.8 was tagged for release.
Thanks Diap. I was looking in Synaptic Package Manager and only 0.9.5 was there. (BTW I hit the "reload" button before I looked and should I click on the "Mark All Upgrades" button too? I looked at it and it has only five or six things either "to be installed" or "to be upgraded." Sigil wasn't in there.)

I ran your command and this is what came up:

Code:
gregory@gregory-GA-A55M-DS2:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install sigil
[sudo] password for gregory: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
sigil is already the newest version (0.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_122.png
Views:	130
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	158936  
Advert
Old 09-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Hmmm. If they were able to provide v0.9.5, then I just assumed they'd be delivering v0.9.8 by now. There's no logistic or dependency reasons why they couldn't after all. They must just be that many versions behind. *shrug*

What version of Xubuntu do you have? Using the following in a terminal should tell you:
Code:
lsb_release -a

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-09-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Hmmm. If they were able to provide v0.9.5, then I just assumed they'd be delivering v0.9.8 by now. There's no logistic or dependency reasons why they couldn't after all. They must just be that many versions behind. *shrug*

What version of Xubuntu do you have? Using the following in a terminal should tell you:
Code:
lsb_release -a
Code:
gregory@gregory-GA-A55M-DS2:~/Desktop$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release:	16.04
Codename:	xenial
Old 09-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

If it were me, I'd just add Mattia Rizzolo's ppa for Sigil and be done with it. He's the one who packages Sigil for Ubuntu and Debian. He'd be the one who prepared the 0.9.5 version you're using now. He's got a Sigil 0.9.8 package for 16.04.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mapreri/sigil
sudo apt-get update
Then to install ...
Code:
If any of that makes you uncomfortable, I'll walk you through removing your current Sigil installation, downloading/installing my stand-alone 0.9.8 package, and migrating your current preferences/plugins.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-09-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
If it were me, I'd just add Mattia Rizzolo's ppa for Sigil and be done with it. He's the one who packages Sigil for Ubuntu and Debian. He'd be the one who prepared the 0.9.5 version you're using now. He's got a Sigil 0.9.8 package for 16.04.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mapreri/sigil
sudo apt-get update
Then to install ...
Code:
If any of that makes you uncomfortable, I'll walk you through removing your current Sigil installation, downloading/installing my stand-alone 0.9.8 package, and migrating your current preferences/plugins.
Thanks Diap. Well, I'm just not sure I know enough to make an informed decision. (I'm pretty ignorant about how Xubuntu works with the ppas and dependencies and all that stuff.) Like, why would you use Rizzolo's version before your own? So if I run those commands will my preferences be automatically updated? And will his or your versions get updated when I get the main software updates from Xubuntu? Knowing you, I think I'd be more comfortable having your version. What do you think the best way to go is?
Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

To have a system that you don't have to rely on me (or someone else) to help you update/modify in the future, I would go the ppa route I described above. That way, system package installing/updating procedures will still function normally.

This kind of stuff not being your forte is sort of why I suggested the path I did. We can go the other route, but it will be more involved, and future updates to Sigil won't be integrated into your normal system update procedures.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
To have a system that you don't have to rely on me (or someone else) to help you update/modify in the future, I would go the ppa route I described above. That way, system package installing/updating procedures will still function normally.

This kind of stuff not being your forte is sort of why I suggested the path I did. We can go the other route, but it will be more involved, and future updates to Sigil won't be integrated into your normal system update procedures.
Hey, thanks a lot, Diap. Yeah, I'm on the long-term distro and I am looking to keep everything as simple as possible so I will go Rizzolo's route. In fact, I just did it on my home computer, and it left my plugins intact, and everything looks good. Here's the terminal:

https://hastebin.com/lipiwerema.sql

I'll do the same on my work computer (where I do most of the work in Sigil) tomorrow.

One question I have is that I have Doitsu's Language Tool 0.4 plugin on the home computer but it's not on the work computer. Do you know what that plugin does?

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276005 for info on the plugin
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Glad to hear it all went well, Gregg.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Thanks a lot, Peter.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Glad to hear it all went well, Gregg.
Yep. Got it on the work computer too now. Everything looks good.