Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
pmorris
pmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Embedded font question/problem

I have used a font in a stylesheet which properly displays in the file preview, but when I attempt to embed that font, the editor reports it cannot find it.

I'm probably doing something improperly, but I cannot see what it is... Suggestions?

Peter
pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Maybe the preview displays a similar font. because you dont have this font.

Or the book doesn't support the format that you have. but it works in calibre.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
Have you added the font itself?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
Maybe the preview displays a similar font. because you dont have this font.

Or the book doesn't support the format that you have. but it works in calibre.
Thanks for your response. I must not have been very clear. Yes, I have the font. I am building the book myself, so since I chose to use that font, I added it to the stylesheet. And in the calibre preview screen it displays properly. I haven't bothered to look at the book via a book reader yet.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Have you added the font itself?
I have, although the font file name and the font family name are not the same. Calibre seems unable to find it using the font file name, the font family name, the font full name or the Postscript name. Confusing. Haven't had this problem before, so I suspect it's something to do with the font file or my system (Vista). The font is installed and available in each of the other applications I've tried (Word, for one, along with several font manipulation programs.

Thanks
Advert
Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab 2(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
I have, although the font file name and the font family name are not the same. Calibre seems unable to find it using the font file name, the font family name, the font full name or the Postscript name. Confusing. Haven't had this problem before, so I suspect it's something to do with the font file or my system (Vista). The font is installed and available in each of the other applications I've tried (Word, for one, along with several font manipulation programs.

Thanks
Once you add the Font Files to the book (they show in fonts section)
You need an @fonts{ to map the font file to the

Font Family it belongs to <-this is the one that should match the INTERNAL font-file naming for least problems across devices

font-weight it should be used with (Normal, Bold)

font-style it should cover normal, italic

A fully populated (if needed) Family set would have 4 @fonts: Normal, Bold, Italic, Bold-Italic . You don't need to include (files or @font ) for non-used combinations
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or include, then clean css and subset the fonts when done editing.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
BUT some files which are readily found on Windows are NOT public domain, they remain proprietary and can not be used in an ebook without a contract with the font foundry. Please be sure of the status before you finish completing this battle with it. Some fonts can not be added.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Once you add the Font Files to the book (they show in fonts section)
You need an @fonts{ to map the font file to the ... or @font ) for non-used combinations
Thank you. I'll try that, since I did not do that!

Peter
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Or include, then clean css and subset the fonts when done editing.
Also good, thank you!

Peter
Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
BUT some files which are readily found on Windows are NOT public domain, they remain proprietary and can not be used in an ebook without a contract with the font foundry. Please be sure of the status before you finish completing this battle with it. Some fonts can not be added.
Good point, always worth restating. I'm using a PD font, so no issues.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Looks like you use a Kindle. You might search for Hitch and her company's adventures in trying to embed fonts. Seems like some times won't embed at all or work only on some models, etc.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
phossler
Guru
phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.phossler can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
I'm probably doing something improperly, but I cannot see what it is... Suggestions?
I have a CSS for several typeface families, and what bites me lots of times is not having the fonts in the correct folder with the correct case sensitive spelling

..\..\Fonts\Name-Bold.ttf might have to be changed to ..\fonts\Name-Bold.ttf
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I have a CSS for several typeface families, and what bites me lots of times is not having the fonts in the correct folder with the correct case sensitive spelling

..\..\Fonts\Name-Bold.ttf might have to be changed to ..\fonts\Name-Bold.ttf
Thanks for pointing that out... I, too, forget to check sometimes. In this case I hadn't noticed, but I had used the font "bold" but the font is only available as "normal".