Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 04:19 AM   #181
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'm dyslexic, what do you want.
Thanks - it just seemed a little surprising .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #182
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One things that's seriously backwards in the US is pay as you go. You have to keep topping up every month even if you have plenty of time and/or data left. In the EU you don't have to top up until you need to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #183
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One things that's seriously backwards in the US is pay as you go. You have to keep topping up every month even if you have plenty of time and/or data left. In the EU you don't have to top up until you need to.
That's incorrect. It depends whether you are using a standard PAYG top-up or if you are using a PAYG bundle. The former will last until you use up the credit (as long as you make a chargeable call in a set time, which varies), the latter will only last 30 days.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #184
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've been using pay as you go since I first got a cell phone. I need to top it off periodically. AT&T has several options--I use the option that requires me to add $25 for 90 days of service. At lower amounts, I would need to add to the account every 30 days. Or for $100, I could get a year's worth of service. You don't need to stay with a specific option; you can add whenever you like and get however many days of service from that point.

AT&T will roll over unused amounts up to $500--and yes, I have come close to this plateau a couple of times. I periodically text money to the Red Cross and other charities that are set up for such donations to lower my balance.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #185
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
AT&T will roll over unused amounts up to $500--and yes, I have come close to this plateau a couple of times. I periodically text money to the Red Cross and other charities that are set up for such donations to lower my balance.
When I was on a Virgin Pay-as-you-go type account many years ago, it was only something like $20 every 3 months to top up, but you had to do it even if you still had plenty of money left in the account. When my balance was over $250, I decided this was rather silly to just let money I'll never use just sit there, you can't get a refund, so I bought a much better phone with the excess (I'm not a big phone talker either). I had no idea you could send money to other organizations from those accounts and never thought to look into that. I eventually switched to their $25/month plan (I had enough accrued again to pay the monthly fee for almost a year) and would have stayed there except it was really limited what phones you could switch to under that plan. When I wanted a nicer phone, I eventually switched to Cricket for $35/month when they switched over entirely to GSMA, and I've been happy with it, their coverage is better than I had with Virgin.

I keep wanting to try Ting, I'd cut our phone bill in half, and I've heard nothing but good things about Ting so far from others. If Cricket ever does something stupid or raises rates much, I'll switch to them. As long as I can bring my own phone (so I can be sure I have one with a replaceable battery, which is why I went with the LG G5 instead of the G6).

Last edited by Ripplinger; 08-13-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #186
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find it much more flexible to buy my own "unlocked" phone, and then get a SIM-only deal.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #187
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I had no idea you could send money to other organizations from those accounts and never thought to look into that.
Usually after a hurricane or other disaster, the Red Cross will mention one of the ways to donate is through text; that's how I first became aware of the option. If you have a cell phone plan with a monthly bill, the donation will be added to the bill, but for me with a pay-as-you-go, it came off the account balance. Last time I did it, if memory serves, AT&T allowed me to do up to three $10 donations to each of three charities in a one-month period. Since I can't get the money back, I was happy to have it go to charities rather than let AT&T keep it.

Here is a list of charities that accept donations by text. My experience is that lists like this are generally woefully out of date and the donations don't go through, but it's at least a starting point.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning Ting. If AT&T can't/won't activate my Moto E4 Plus, Ting gives me another option--I entered the IMEI number of the phone that AT&T said wouldn't work, and it will work with Ting.

Last edited by Catlady; 08-13-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #188
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks - it just seemed a little surprising .
It's not surprising for me. I mix up right and left, up and down, in front of and behind, and any other opposites you can think of. Friends know that they have to translate if it seems backwards.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #189
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find it much more flexible to buy my own "unlocked" phone, and then get a SIM-only deal.
If you buy unlocked you also don't get the carrier bloat that you can't get rid of. But I need to buy unlocked now just to be able to root because the carriers are making it difficult to root.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #190
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I guess it also depends how long you keep phones for. I had my iPhone 4 for almost 5 years, and I'll probably keep my iPhone 6 (now 2 years old) just as long. Some people seem to change their phone more often than their underwear, though, and I guess being on a contract that gives you upgrades is useful for that.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #191
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

More fun and games with Amazon. I just got the replacement phone--the one that was supposed to be the 32gb version I ordered. Lo and behold, it's 16gb. Again.

So I called Amazon, the rep told me he couldn't do another replacement; I would have to rebuy and return the wrong phone for a refund. Lo and behold again, the phone I ordered isn't currently available at Amazon with the options I wanted (32gb, gold, standard version, price $180).

I asked for a supervisor and complained bitterly about being sent the wrong phone twice and all the inconvenience, blah blah. She offered me the gray version ($200) for the $180 price. I don't want gray. I want gold and I wasn't in the mood for being agreeable to the gray. Then she offered me the Moto G5 Plus, 32gb, gold, priced at $230, for the $180 price I initially paid, and I agreed to that.

The new phone should be here tomorrow; I have two Moto E4 Plus phones to return; and I'll still have to deal with the folks at AT&T. So there's still plenty of hassle involved, but maybe the end is in sight.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #192
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
That's incorrect. It depends whether you are using a standard PAYG top-up or if you are using a PAYG bundle. The former will last until you use up the credit (as long as you make a chargeable call in a set time, which varies), the latter will only last 30 days.
Yup. There many different prepaid and/or pay-as-you go companies out there with varying payment plans. There is a lot of discussion at Howard Forums. Here is a link to the US prepaid forum.

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...NO-Discussion?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #193
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It's not surprising for me. I mix up right and left, up and down, in front of and behind, and any other opposites you can think of. Friends know that they have to translate if it seems backwards.
Hmmm.... Not that left! Your other left! Driving instructions for one friend of mine.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #194
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... Not that left! Your other left! Driving instructions for one friend of mine.
Not that right, the other right. Actual goof. Not naming the navigator because of the 5th amendment.
Shortly thereafter we got a Garmin. Won the first one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #195
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I remember way way back to when I was 20 or so riding in a cab and told the driver to make the next left. I was actually pointing to my right, but with me being in the back seat he couldn't see me. Eventually I figured it out and got home.

The weirdest backwards I did when I was in my 30s. I got to work and was complaining about being stuck in front of a tractor trailer all the way. They knew I was a lead foot so that couldn't possibly be true. These people always translated for me, but this one was so bad they had to tell me.