Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #1
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Setting up new Kobo

Hi guys

its been three years since i last upgraded from Touch to Aura and now gonna upgrade to h20 2nd edition

cant remember the order to set stuff up in though.

not gonna deactivate the aura as thats now backup ereader.

Obv ensure its had charge but then what order do i need to do thing.

do i connect to wifi and register with my kobo account or connect to pc first and activate on ade

all help greatly appreciated

Ta
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You install the DeDRM plugins so you don't need to activate via ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 AM   #3
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

will need ade for library books
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 AM   #4
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

have calibre and de drm stuff already installed its just the new setting up of new ereader i cant remember the steps
Old 08-12-2017, 04:35 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Go through the setup and activate your device. Then deal with activating it for the DRM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

cool thanks so sorry to sound stupid do you mean setting up over wifi first before attaching to pc?
Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
cool thanks so sorry to sound stupid do you mean setting up over wifi first before attaching to pc?
I set my H2O up via WiFi. I didn't use Kobo Desktop.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:08 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@bookaho!ic: My thoughts on a new device are:

- Do the setup. Doesn't matter if you use WiFi or the Kobo desktop.
- Put a book or two on it.
- Find a comfortable spot and read.
- Then experiment with the interface and see the differences.

I'm not sure where I'd throw ADE authentication into that. It probably depends on the source of the next book I wanted to read. But, it does have to be after doing the Kobo setup.

After that, there won't be much difference to your current Kobo ereaders.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Save the file activation.xml from your old Kobo and copy it into same place to your new device. That should make it ADE authenticated.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

thanks all may have to do wifi as i dont have kobo desktop set up on pc as i dont like it loll
Old 08-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
will need ade for library books
Quick and dirty solution is to copy the activation.xml file from the .adobe-digital-editions on your old Kobo to the same directory on your new Kobo. Saves you from having to beg Adobe for more activations when you exceed the 5 device limit.

While you can setup your Kobo over WiFi, I prefer to use the desktop application. That way, I can copy the Adobe activation file into place, add my fonts directory, any patch files, etc. Another item that I like is that since the desktop application on my laptop is synced with Kobo, it is faster for me to copy the Kobo books over the USB interface than downloading them from Kobo's servers.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-12-2017 at 11:17 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #12
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

thanks DSNB we have decided to use the desktop app

quick question if an update is released can you get it over desktop ap
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yes. Updates are installed by either wifi connections or desktop

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

perfect thanks everyone. just waiting for new ereader to be delivered
Old 08-14-2017, 05:18 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There's no need to install Kobo Desktop. I don't have it installed. I setup my H2O via WiFi. I use Calibre to manage my eBooks.