Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
abtvlng
abtvlng began at the beginning.

Device: pda
Getting:Sorry, cannot open this book. Error Message

Hi,
I can open the book using Calibre on my PC but when I try to open the book on my Nook using Calibre Companion I get Error Dialogue: Sorry, cannot open this book. Any help would be appreciated.
abtvlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre Companion does not contain that error message. What program is giving it to you?

It would be helpful to know the book type (epub, pdf, etc), which Nook you are using, and what reader apps you have installed on the nook.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by abtvlng View Post
Hi,
I can open the book using Calibre on my PC but when I try to open the book on my Nook using Calibre Companion I get Error Dialogue: Sorry, cannot open this book. Any help would be appreciated.
Wow
A MR member since 2010 and this is your first post.

Is to Mobileread still allowed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
abtvlng

It is a Nook HD and the file format is epub and the only reader loaded is the nook reader.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It is a Nook HD and the file format is epub and the only reader loaded is the nook reader.
Do you have a reader app (probably the same as B&N uses) configured in CC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Rather than try to guess what is happening, could you send me a CC debug log? Go to CC's settings, scroll to the bottom, tap the "Other" section, scroll to the bottom again, and choose "Send a debug log to MultiPie". Please send it only to me by erasing the multipie.co.uk to: address.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
abtvlng

Hi,

Sorry for delay, time difference. Just sent the debug log. Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry for delay, time difference. Just sent the debug log. Thanks again for the help!
I haven't received the debug log. Is it stuck on your nook? Try sending it to yourself, then if you receive it, forward it to me from your desktop computer.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
abtvlng

Please check now, it was stuck.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I got it. Thanks.

The debug log shows that you have "read" several different books over the last 2 weeks, and that CC started the Nook app each time. Did all the others work? Is it only the last book I see in the log that you cannot read (....Fall...)? If so, then I suspect that the book in question is damaged internally somehow to the point where the Nook app cannot handle it. The fact that you can read it with the calibre viewer is encouraging. Calibre is *very* forgiving of bizarre stuff in an ebook.

If the last book is the only book that up-to-now isn't readable then I suggest use calibre to try to fix it. Start calibre, select the book, then do an epub->epub conversion. Click the Convert button and be sure that epub is in the two boxes at the top. Calibre will clean up the book. After it finished the conversion, connect your Nook and send the book again. If all went well it will now be readable.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
abtvlng

Thanks, will try that.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
abtvlng

Is there a way to set an additional reader for cc? I tried converting to EPUB and still wont work however tried PDF and it opens so thought about converting to MOBI and using Kindle reader but not sure how to set Kindle reader as well as Nook reader when opening from CC.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there a way to set an additional reader for cc? I tried converting to EPUB and still wont work however tried PDF and it opens so thought about converting to MOBI and using Kindle reader but not sure how to set Kindle reader as well as Nook reader when opening from CC.
CC automatically finds reader apps that can handle the type of book by asking Android for the list. If CC finds more than one app then CC asks you to choose the one you want to use. You can tell CC to always use one app so it will stop asking you.

Kindle for Android is not a very good reader for CC. There is no way that CC can ask K4A to open a file. K4A will work only if files are in a very specific place. And so on. FWIW: the aldiko app has similar problems.

I suggest instead that you try one of the free reader apps such as FBReader, CoolReader, or Moon+ (free) (has ads). All of these can handle mobi. They also handle epub so the first time you read an epub after installing one, CC will ask you to choose between the Nook app and the other one(s). You might want to try them for epub. Who knows -- you might like one better than the nook app.

The above list of reader apps is not exhaustive. There are others as well. Choosing a reader app seems to be a very personal thing.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #14
abtvlng

Thanks, that worked like a charm.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
I sideloaded an .epub book (Mac, using Calibre) and the Nook gave me the same "cannot open" complaint. After about 10 minutes I tried again and it opened correctly. I'd noticed in the past that there has been some delay involved getting sideloaded books to open.

Does the Nook do some kind of post-processing with sideloaded books or data about them
?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote