Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
So do you think B&N will file bankruptcy before, or after Christmas 2018?

Amber
After.
Might even shamble around to 2020.
Thing is, the smart play would be to file chapter 11 now.
(Smarter two years ago.)

That would get them out of their leases, let them rightsize the less productive stores, while protecting their limited cash and the productive big stores. But that would require an alternate vision for a three tier B&N: online, smaller stores broadly distributed, and a handful or two of big stores, all working off a common backend distribution system.

Instead, they intend to keep on muddling along until they totally run out of cash and then file for liquidation. At which point Ingram, Baker and Taylor, or Indigo will pick up their distribution system dirt cheap.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-27-2018 at 10:30 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #62
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Same here. Any suggestions for someone that only does amazon ebooks?
They also sell toys.
Maybe buy some kids books for gifts? To be honest, I wandered around for 20 minutes yesterday after work and didn't find anything to buy.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Same here. Any suggestions for someone that only does amazon ebooks?
If you have the gift cards, just buy some B&N e-books. I've found a few there that aren't available at Amazon. A couple of Stefan Dziemianowicz edited anthologies.

But really, if you have gift cards, there's no reason not to buy books there. Like you, I buy books from Amazon. But if I had gift cards for B&N, I'd use them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #64
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Locally, the traditional department store mall is dying, but a less traditional, out door mall are booming.
We have one of those outdoor malls near us. I can't think of a dumber idea. It's all spread out. You can't find anything. You have to walk for miles. In the snow. And blowing, freezing winds. And they have metered (paid) parking.

No thanks!

But "no thanks" for a traditional indoor mall either. When I find myself stuck in one, I hope I have my eReader with me, because I usually can't find a single store I'd want to go into.

One of the few stores that I'm likely to walk into if I'm stranded with others out shopping just happens to be a Barnes and Noble. I like looking at all the books. But in all honesty, I rarely buy many there. Maybe the occasional onesy or twosey. I no longer walk out with an armload of books like in the old days. I fondly remember family trips to the bookstore where every one of us would find 3 or 4 to buy, and we'd have to share carrying that gigantic haul out of the store, after spending a few hundred dollars.

Not any more.

In-person shopping is a lot different these days than it used to be. I now dread it ... I used to look forward to it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #65
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you have the gift cards, just buy some B&N e-books. I've found a few there that aren't available at Amazon. A couple of Stefan Dziemianowicz edited anthologies.

But really, if you have gift cards, there's no reason not to buy books there. Like you, I buy books from Amazon. But if I had gift cards for B&N, I'd use them.
Their ebooks are a lot more of a headache to download now than they used to be.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
More of a headache than just clicking download on the website yes, but no more difficult than using Kindle for PC to download Kindle books, or is Nook for PC not working for some folks now? B&N is probably my last choice for eBooks, but I was given a $50 GC for Christmas, so have been buying there off an on lately.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
To date, I've never set foot inside a B&N store.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
For me, they aren't any more complicated than downloading from Amazon.

With Amazon, I use a deprecated version of Kindle for PC (to avoid .KFX files). For Barnes and Noble I use the Nook app from the Windows 10 store.

If anything, Nook books are easier as they download as ePubs, so no format shift required.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #69
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
For me, they aren't any more complicated than downloading from Amazon.

With Amazon, I use a deprecated version of Kindle for PC (to avoid .KFX files). For Barnes and Noble I use the Nook app from the Windows 10 store.

If anything, Nook books are easier as they download as ePubs, so no format shift required.
You may not consider this any easier or less complicated, but kindleunpack can extract the epub that is hiding in the azw3, so no format shifting required.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You may not consider this any easier or less complicated, but kindleunpack can extract the epub that is hiding in the azw3, so no format shifting required.
Point of course is that Barnes and Noble provides an epub 'out of the box'.

I haven't used Kindleunpack, but it doesn't sound any easier than dumping the file in Calibre and converting.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #71
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is kindleunpack a Calibre plug-in?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #72
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
More of a headache than just clicking download on the website yes, but no more difficult than using Kindle for PC to download Kindle books, or is Nook for PC not working for some folks now? B&N is probably my last choice for eBooks, but I was given a $50 GC for Christmas, so have been buying there off an on lately.
Nook for PC sometimes gives me trouble but NookStudy always works for me.

Of course, one can read them in the nook app if all else fails.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #73
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yup.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171529
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #74
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Point of course is that Barnes and Noble provides an epub 'out of the box'.

I haven't used Kindleunpack, but it doesn't sound any easier than dumping the file in Calibre and converting.
Understood. I'm just pointing out that azw3 files probably already have an epub inside and implying that there is some small chance that converting azw3 to epub with calibre might degrade it in some small or not so small way.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #75
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Looks like it is, but I have only ever used it directly.