Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #151
lithprinter
lithprinter began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzle View Post
Thanks! It seems a safe bet except for that mystery "processing" period. I'm considering going ahead, because I imagine sooner-ordered-sooner-shipped, but still a bit concerned.
I think you can cancel an order up to the point it is about to ship. So you could order it and if it is taking too long just cancel.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #152
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could always cancel your order if it didn't ship on time, so I don't see any real risk in placing an order.
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #153
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could always cancel your order if it didn't ship on time, so I don't see any real risk in placing an order.
I ordered mine through a friend while it was jumping up and down between in stock and the 3-4 weeks and it only took 2 weeks to arrive.
There was someone else on this thread who voiced the opinion that WH SMITH receive sometime some small stock and they fulfill the orders in the queue, and I tend to support that.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #154
Mollycaff
Mollycaff began at the beginning.

I ordered my Cybook from WH Smith last Wednesday morning before setting off for work at around 8am, and it was waiting for me when I arrived home the following afternoon at 5.30pm. The website stated "in stock" when I ordered, but I had read on the forum about some people having a long wait for their order to arrive so it was a lovely surprise.

I'm now having great fun on the Fictionwise website
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #155
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't forget to check out all the great books that you can download free from the "Mobi Books" download section here!
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #156
Mollycaff
Mollycaff began at the beginning.

Thanks Harry, I'll have a look there today. This is a great forum, as an ebook novice I've found lots of very useful information so far.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #157
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Don't forget all the great free eBook sites -- see the wiki:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

I'd pick out:
MobileRead (of course)
Baen Free Library
FeedBoooks
ManyBooks
The Fifth Imperium

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollycaff View Post

I'm now having great fun on the Fictionwise website
Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #158
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Don't forget Quidco

Since this thread is about WH Smith, thought I'd remind UK readers that buying from WHS via Quidco will get you a cashback of 8% of your purchase price.

If you don't use Quidco yet, then have a look at all the merchants who support it and the discounts they give :
www.quidco.com

It's quite legit and effectively the retailers give Quidco commission for passing you over, and Quidco return the money to you (less £5 per year admin, or nothing if you don't earn any commission)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #159
tazzle
Glyph
tazzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
oooh, I was just a mouse-click away from ordering - but then I read the broken screen thread, and I think that probably any of the standard devices are not going to be that great for my husband. His work is pretty rough and rugged - film crew with lots of setting up and taking down, moving from location to location, tons of equipment being hauled about, and he carries tools, batteries, chargers and all manner of things in his backback(s). One reason I wanted to get him an e-reader is so he can use it for work-related scripts and schedules as well as regular reading - and obviously anything with a glass screen is going to be stoopid bad.

I guess I'll wait for the Plastic Logic reader, and cross my fingers that they will offer international language support. I'm disappointed because (of course) I wanted to get my hands on a Cybook anyway and this price rocks, but even with care I don't think there's any way it (or the Kindle, Sony, etc.) would survive.

Damn. There goes my supercool Christmas present idea.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #160
lithprinter

I received an email from WHSmith (timed at midnight last night) saying my Gen3 is now on its way (1 to 2 days). No tracking number though.

Can't wait.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #161
lithprinter

It has just arrived via Royal Mail. So in all it took 3 days to arrive.

It is now charging...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #162
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithprinter View Post
It has just arrived via Royal Mail. So in all it took 3 days to arrive.

It is now charging...
That's great. Love to hear how you get on with it.

Ordered mine yesterday and my £12.60 cashback has registered, but the order shows as "in progress" on the WHSmith site.

Isn't it odd how you can spend weeks choosing with no problem, then as soon as you order it you get impatient?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #163
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
It's the end of the doubt.
After deciding one just wants the "thing" now!

You are going to love your new toy. Wonderful decision.

Best regards,
Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #164
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
My partner ordered mine on the Smiths website Monday evening for collection at the local store - just around the corner from her office. We got a call yesterday afternoon to say it was ready for collection, so she's picking it up today. Now I need to convince her I shouldn't have to wait for xmas for it! This will be helped by the fact that her combined xmas and birthday pressie arrives today!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #165
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
My partner ordered mine on the Smiths website Monday evening for collection at the local store - just around the corner from her office. We got a call yesterday afternoon to say it was ready for collection, so she's picking it up today. Now I need to convince her I shouldn't have to wait for xmas for it! This will be helped by the fact that her combined xmas and birthday pressie arrives today!
All the best with your powers of persuassion! .. umm how about 'well, I have to use it or if there's a problem I won't know and it'll look silly if I go in 3 months to return something that I've had for a while'?! ..

My question is ... what is her pressie? .. dying to know! lol

Loopy
Closed Thread