Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Can I guess your kid is older?
Oh, yes. He will be 16 next month.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #47
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
It's out of stock on Amazon UK, and it seems the 2016 model is imminent. Is there any news on that front? I haven't found anything noteworthy, which is strange. Or maybe the Fire tablets don't get that much coverage.

I want to purchase one as it covers my main entertainment fronts, so I hope something is released soon.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #48
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon has hit a home run! New 8" Fire HD tablet!

Darn it.

I like it. But I don't need it, as I have the first fire HD 8 and there's nothing wrong with it.

But the new one is faster and has a much better battery. Darn it all! And $10 cheaper than what I paid!

Last edited by booklover6; 09-08-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #49
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Amazon has hit a home run! New 8" Fire HD tablet!

Darn it.

I like it. But I don't need it, as I have the first fire HD 8 and there's nothing wrong with it.

But the new one is faster and has a much better battery. Darn it all! And $10 cheaper than what I paid!
I got an email about this so I had to check it out. $89.99 seemed like a good price plus I could break it into 5 interest free payments. The question was--should I do it? Answer: Oh, yeah I'm not usually one for impulse buying but a first time for everything.

Now, for all you knowledgeable people out there--what do you think will be the biggest difference [other than size, of course] I will notice between this and my HD6? Can't wait to get the HD8. Well, yes I can because I'll have to.

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #50
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
I got an email about this so I had to check it out. $89.99 seemed like a good price plus I could break it into 5 interest free payments. The question was--should I do it? Answer: Oh, yeah I'm not usually one for impulse buying but a first time for everything.

Now, for all you knowledgeable people out there--what do you think will be the biggest difference [other than size, of course] I will notice between this and my HD6? Can't wait to get the HD8. Well, yes I can because I'll have to.

Bergette
I think you made a very good decision. Did you notice the nice case they have for it? It's expensive, but probably worth it. I have the same style for mine and I love it.

There isn't a lot of difference other than the size, except that my (1st edition) Fire HD 8 is actually much thinner [and might be lighter, too], than my HD 6. I love reading on the 8, and browsing is much, much more pleasant on the 8. I use it more than my 6, and more than my 7" Nexus.
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #51
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
How good a screen will this be? The basic Fire is just about doable on 1024 x 600 (171 ppi) but the new HD8 is 1280 x 800 (189 ppi), it's not much of a leap but is it enough bearing in mind the larger screen?

I bought the basic for text to speech and it much better than I imagined it would be but I would like a better screen and more internal storage as Personal Documents only download to the internal storage not the SDCard.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #52
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The first generation HD 8 has the same screen resolution as the new HD 8. I think it's perfectly fine. It is a much better screen than the basic $49 Fire (my daughter has one). I would NOT want to read on the basic Fire, but love reading on the Fire 8.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #53
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The first generation HD 8 has the same screen resolution as the new HD 8. I think it's perfectly fine. It is a much better screen than the basic $49 Fire (my daughter has one). I would NOT want to read on the basic Fire, but love reading on the Fire 8.
Thank you
Old 09-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #54
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
I think you made a very good decision. Did you notice the nice case they have for it? It's expensive, but probably worth it. I have the same style for mine and I love it.

There isn't a lot of difference other than the size, except that my (1st edition) Fire HD 8 is actually much thinner [and might be lighter, too], than my HD 6. I love reading on the 8, and browsing is much, much more pleasant on the 8. I use it more than my 6, and more than my 7" Nexus.
Yes, I'm getting the case too. Figured if I'm going to be impulsive, I'd do it right. Does it "stand up" well? I had one once that either would come apart or fall over when I would try to put it on the table in front of me. Hopefully, this one is better. I was think that with the bigger size that browsing might be better. And I'm starting to watch more movies so I thought the 8 might be better for that too. Thanks for your input.

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #55
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I'm getting the case too. Figured if I'm going to be impulsive, I'd do it right. Does it "stand up" well? I had one once that either would come apart or fall over when I would try to put it on the table in front of me. Hopefully, this one is better. I was think that with the bigger size that browsing might be better. And I'm starting to watch more movies so I thought the 8 might be better for that too. Thanks for your input.

Bergette
I have the official one for the 1st gen HD8, and yes it stands up very well. It's a great case. The new case says it only fits the new HD8, so I am not sure what might be different. It certainly looks identical. I think they will function exactly the same, and I am really happy I got the case for mine. So I think you will be, too.

What color device/case did you get?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Bergette
Screen resolution will be noticeable. The HD 6 is 252 ppi and the HD 8 is 189 ppi. But you'll get used to it as long as you don't go back and forth between them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #57
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
To take my mind off being injured

Just ordered my Fire HD8! My husband will inherit my Fire HD7.

It's a gift to help take my mind off recovering from a bad fall.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:38 AM   #58
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I kept a screen shot of the Compare Tablets screen from before the new HD8 was released.

The new HD 8 has the same processer as the basic Fire 'Quad-Core up to 1.3 GHz' Instead of the 'Quad-Core up to 1.5 GHz'

Also the rear camera (not that I use a camera) is 2 MP, not the 5 MP of before. And it's heavier and a fraction thicker at 341 grms compared to 311 grms.
New size is
214 x 128 x 9.2 mm
8.4" x 5.0" x 0.4"

Old size was
214 x 128 x 7.7 mm
8.4" x 5.0" x 0.3"

I'm not concerned with size or camera only the processer, I have the basic Fire but I was hoping for a new model with a better screen and processor. Just not sure if this is enough of a jump over the basic.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #59
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well, that is very interesting. Sounds like no reason at all for anyone with the 1st gen Fire HD 8 to worry about upgrading to the new edition.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #60
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been eyeing the 8 for awhile so I jumped on the 32gb version, blue , with the blue cover,
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote